GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drove both the 2014 and 2016 ELR back to back. Having driven a 2014 ELR (Lux+ACC) for a few months as a company car, it was an informed experience. I was literally within minutes of buying a used 2014 ELR (Lux+ACC) for $35k. The car hadn't been titled yet, so it also qualified for tax rebates, making the 2014 ELR around $26k.

The 2016 has gobs more power, especially in Sport mode - which unlike the 2014 engages the ICE regardless of SOC. You can easily chirp tires in this mode - that's how fast it is.

The surprising improvement is in CUE, which is lag-free -- a welcome change from the 2014, whose CUE system feels much like it has "special needs." I didn't try carplay out on the ELR.

In short, the two gripes from the 2014 model I drove have been eliminated in the 2016 version to the point that I wouldn't buy a 2014 at any price for fear of being constantly reminded of what I'm missing in the 2016 model.

Needless to say, I walked from the dealership. I'm fully expecting the 2016 models to be steeply discounted as the inventory is worked through, especially here in Tesla Country.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thank you, your comments are heaven sent as I consider the 2014 vs the 2016 ELR.
Your personal experience makes your observations very valueable.

Also, I'm impressed by your well priced discovery,,,,,,,,,,,,would you share the dealers name and location??

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Good info.

2016 wasn't announced when I bought the '14. She's plenty fast for me. Although waiting another 6mos would have saved me a few bux.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Even if you don't think that adding the ICE doesn't count when calculating 0-60 time (apparently it's a cheat for Cadillac to do this but not, say, for BMW with the i8), $30K seems quite steep for a sport mode you'll likely never use and some lag on the center screen.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Even if you don't think that adding the ICE doesn't count when calculating 0-60 time (apparently it's a cheat for Cadillac to do this but not, say, for BMW with the i8), $30K seems quite steep for a sport mode you'll likely never use and some lag on the center screen.
It's not just sport mode; in Touring it's a night and day difference, too.

"Some lag" on the 2014 infotainment system is a gross understatement.

I'm talking about a transformed experience for this car. I don't take the savings nor the deal I negotiated lightly. In fact, it still weighs on me . If you step back and think, much of this difference was born of software enhancement-it almost makes you want to not do anything until the automakers adopt the Tesla update model.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
If you step back and think, much of this difference was born of software enhancement-it almost makes you want to not do anything until the automakers adopt the Tesla update model.
OTA updates are inherently dangerous when talking millions vs 50k units. Doesn't work well for Microsoft, for example. Even McAfee has shut down our business with bad updates.

Tesla updates smack of unfinished code. Like they released the product as a beta.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
OTA updates are inherently dangerous when talking millions vs 50k units. Doesn't work well for Microsoft, for example. Even McAfee has shut down our business with bad updates.
Updates aren't inherently bad; the problem is there's just no perfect piece of software code. GM's current process for updating is to bring your car to the dealer - and their practice generally doesn't involve functionality enhancements, despite their ability to do so. I sat a couple hours once to wait for an update to the ELR I had (HVAC firmware, I believe) -- the tech finally came out after wrestling with the car for some time, shaking his head saying "the update won't take." Waited for a senior tech to come out, who assured him that if he just kept retrying, it would eventually work, but not to stop it midstream lest it leave the vehicle in a limbo state. Really sad state of affairs when a "$80,000" vehicle is hamstrung by such an arcane process when a iPhone or iPad gets a second life with an OS update, installed by grandma, generally without a glitch.

Tesla updates smack of unfinished code. Like they released the product as a beta.
I have yet to meet a Tesla owner that resents their updates. Quote the opposite, in fact!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you, your comments are heaven sent as I consider the 2014 vs the 2016 ELR.
Your personal experience makes your observations very valueable.

Also, I'm impressed by your well priced discovery,,,,,,,,,,,,would you share the dealers name and location??
Here's a low mileage 2014 lux+ACC ELR where the seller is asking $35k:

http://ebay.to/1Py3ao9

There are plenty of these out there, many that are owned for just a few months and then dumped (anecdotally for Teslas it seems - like the ebay listing above "I have priced this vehicle for quick sale, as I am taking delivery of a Tesla Model S this week and would like to make room in the garage."). Nevermind that the original ebay listing wasn't successful and he has already re-listed it.

Also keep in mind that there are a ton of 2014's coming off their 2 year lease over the next 12 months, and I'd be shocked if they are purchased at their inflated residuals.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
It's not just sport mode; in Touring it's a night and day difference, too.

"Some lag" on the 2014 infotainment system is a gross understatement.

I'm talking about a transformed experience for this car.
That was my impression too when I drove the 2016 ELR. If the 2016 build had been the original 2014 car, its sales wouldn't have been so bad and the car would most likely have been considered a big success.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Updates aren't inherently bad; the problem is there's just no perfect piece of software code. ..not to stop it midstream lest it leave the vehicle in a limbo state.
This is exactly what I mean. All software has bugs. Having your machine in the shop is still safer and more recoverable than OTA.

I've seen plenty of 'glitches' with iOS and other automated updates. This is not a $200 phone that can be bricked and easily replaced.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
"Here's a low mileage 2014 lux+ACC ELR where the seller is asking $35k:"

$35k is about what KBB says they're worth. It's not surprising when there are $15k Volts out there as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts