GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“Service High Voltage Battery System”
8759E045-6978-4B40-8780-FFB3E088BE21.jpeg
message popped up my screen. Vehicle is not charging since then. I read somewhere it could be coolant fluid pushing that message.
Anybody had that experience or know what I can do without going to the dealership?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yeah it COULD be but it might not be. You need to find out first by scanning and finding out what is trigging the fault.

A search here will bring up tons on the issue if it's the level sensor in the coolant tank, but find out for sure. You don't want to just throw parts at it as it can add up fast.

Looking at the battery "Guess-o-meter" that says you only have 15 miles left on that charge I wonder if the main propulsion battery has developed a problem.

As you haven't reached 100.000 miles yet it'll be covered under warranty anyway, just take it to the dealer and have them take care of it.

Reactions: uchual

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it COULD be but it might not be. You need to find out first by scanning and finding out what is trigging the fault.

A search here will bring up tons on the issue if it's the level sensor in the coolant tank but find out for sure. You don't want to just throw parts at it as it can add up fast.
Thank you. I have scheduled appointment with at the dealership. Will let you know what they diagnose it to be.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thank you. I have scheduled appointment with at the dealership. Will let you know what they diagnose it to be.
Even if you are taking the car to the dealer, it would be very helpful for you to know what's going on with it. Like the say, knowledge is power.

A simple OBD reader tool is very inexpensive and handy for cases like this:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yeah an OBD2 reader is handy to have for things such as this but make sure you drive no more than 205 miles to get it.

:p

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just had this happen on my 2013. Dealer reprogrammed HPCM2. From the service order:

“Reprogram the HPCM2 and the BECM as per PI5920J”

Lots more info in this thread (search is your friend 🙂):

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
PKMason, please take a moment to update us on what the issue was when the dealer fixes it. Could be a whole bunch of thngs, hopefully something simple.

·
Registered
133 Posts
PKMason and all, here is the GM Service Bulletin PIC5920J, referred to by 16Falcon: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163668-9999.pdf

PK, check the battery coolant reservoir under the hood, it's the one on the passenger side. It may have a cap lock. If it is not full, this may be a cause of the SHVCS error.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'll bet the dealer fixes it with just a software update - my dealer fixed the same problem with an update (for no charge).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Any updates from your dealer appointment, PK?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a very similar isolation fault code p0aa6 fixed (software update only) under warranty on my 2013 last month but had to call GM to keep the dealer from charging me (Capital Chevrolet Raleigh NC)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any updates from your dealer appointment, PK?
I finally heard back from dealer. You were right about the fluid being low. They topped it up and it is charging now. (So I was told)
But you know the story will not end there with a dealer repair. They told me they did a pressure check and found no leakages but I need to flush and replace fluids from 3 different tanks.
I also need to change spark plugs and a bunch of recommended items adding up to $1,400+.
I authorized for them to change only the wiper blades for $45 or so but he came back with $109 diagnosis fee plus wipers. I asked him if it took him an hour to put the coolant or whatever fluid he topped off. Besides, I thought the battery diagnostics was part of warranty work.
This is why ICE vehicles will get be obsolete in the next 20 years.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I finally heard back from dealer. You were right about the fluid being low. They topped it up and it is charging now. (So I was told)
But you know the story will not end there with a dealer repair. They told me they did a pressure check and found no leakages but I need to flush and replace fluids from 3 different tanks.
I also need to change spark plugs and a bunch of recommended items adding up to $1,400+.
I authorized for them to change only the wiper blades for $45 or so but he came back with $109 diagnosis fee plus wipers. I asked him if it took him an hour to put the coolant or whatever fluid he topped off. Besides, I thought the battery diagnostics was part of warranty work.
This is why ICE vehicles will get be obsolete in the next 20 years.
Thanks for the update. Did they do any software updates as well? I'll be interested to know if this takes care of the problem permanently, or if the problem returns in a few weeks/months.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts