GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a previously owned 2014 Volt. I'm loving it but I'm experience a strange issue. :confused:

Long story short, while the car is charging it will all of a sudden start honking, signalling someone has unplugged the charger. However no one has unplugged it. It's still plugged in....it has just stopped charging.
When I get to the car when this happens the light on the dash is unlit/colorless.

I have had long successful overnight charges and I have also been woken up by the car alarm going off in the garage prompting me to silence and and go out unplug/plug it back in to start the charge again.
When this happens, occasionally when I go to unplug it and plug it back in, just touching the handle of the charger and moving it slightly initiates the charge again. Other times it needs a solid, unplug and re-plug back in.

When the car is charging the lights are showing all is well on the EVSE and the Dash.

I have tried wiggling the charging handle (there is some play when it's plugged into the charge port. Is that normal?) ...sometimes wiggling it cancels the charge and the light on the dash goes off. Sometimes it has no effect on the vehicle charging.

I am thoroughly confused :confused:

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I don't think there should be enough wiggle room to stop it charging. It's a rather snug fit.
Try going to IKEA or somewhere with a public station so you can rule out your EVSE as the problem.

·
Registered
13,841 Posts
You can turn off the alarm in the config menu somewhere. It is intended to stop theft of your EVSE, but if you are in a locked garage, that feature isn't needed. I would check to make sure there isn't any debris between your plug and your charging cord. I once had a kamikaze moth go towards the light, and effectively make himself into dead bug goo between the plug and the charging cord. Just take a screwdriver to pick the stuff out, then maybe follow up with a q-tip dipped in alcohol. Don't worry about killing yourself in the process - the electrons can't possibly flow without the car negotiating with the EVSE after plugging in. You can dunk the EVSE plug into a bucket of water with your bare left foot in the bucket and it won't shock you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think there should be enough wiggle room to stop it charging. It's a rather snug fit.
Try going to IKEA or somewhere with a public station so you can rule out your EVSE as the problem.
Thanks I'll give it a try. I have only used a public charging station once so far and I didn't check it for wiggle room. But it did charge no problem.
Last night when I plugged my EVSE in and wiggled it around it was fine. Didn't stop charging....and it charged fully all through the night without interruption. Maybe it's not a loose plug???

You can turn off the alarm in the config menu somewhere. It is intended to stop theft of your EVSE, but if you are in a locked garage, that feature isn't needed. I would check to make sure there isn't any debris between your plug and your charging cord. I once had a kamikaze moth go towards the light, and effectively make himself into dead bug goo between the plug and the charging cord. Just take a screwdriver to pick the stuff out, then maybe follow up with a q-tip dipped in alcohol. Don't worry about killing yourself in the process - the electrons can't possibly flow without the car negotiating with the EVSE after plugging in. You can dunk the EVSE plug into a bucket of water with your bare left foot in the bucket and it won't shock you.
Thanks I'll take another gander into the Port and the plug to make sure there's nothing in there though I'm sure I checked already and it is clear.

I don't mind the alarm and I saw the setting where to disable it. It lets me know when the car has stopped charging so I can go out and reconnect. At the moment Onstar isn't working in the car so I cannot get the App message

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Sounds like a broken charge socket on the car side. It shouldn't have any play in it. We have seen some on the forum. The repair should fall under the 80k mile battery warranty.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I would check to make sure there isn't any debris between your plug and your charging cord. I once had a kamikaze moth go towards the light, and effectively make himself into dead bug goo between the plug and the charging cord.
I had that once, too. Two things surprised me:
1. Just how crunchy it was when you'd expect something softer
2. how tight the tolerance is that you can actually feel that something so small and squished is in the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts