GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Is there a HID Headlight Upgrade that actually works?

Every kit I have tried simply does not work, or flashes regardless if I install components supplies that are specifically supposed to eliminate flashing!

Can anyone recommend a kit that actually works?

Great can, but why would such and advanced car have profoundly BAD out-dated headlights tat are so bad they are actually dangerous to drive with!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
2014 Is there a HID Headlight Upgrade that actually works?

Every kit I have tried simply does not work, or flashes regardless if I install components supplies that are specifically supposed to eliminate flashing!

Can anyone recommend a kit that actually works?

Great can, but why would such and advanced car have profoundly BAD out-dated headlights tat are so bad they are actually dangerous to drive with!!!
I’ll be candid and realistic with you. I tried a kit from Headlight Experts that was supposed to be compatible with the Volt’s PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) which is imperceptible with halogen bulbs, but causes LED’s and HID’s to flicker. Bought the capacitors with the ballasts and still no dice.

An HID kit produced no beam at all. An LED kit resulted in each bulb cutting off for up to a minute at a time before turning back on. This was while parked, no vibrations due to ICE kicking in while parked, etc.

Supposedly there are people out there who did it, with better name kits from DDM and Morimoto but I think it may have involved a power relay, as well.

Anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, Had a HID kit working then 10 min into the drive they started flickering very "BAD"...made it very difficult to drive home for me and other drivers!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I put Diode Dynamics HID kit in my 2015. 5000K temp. It has been working perfectly. Now I can drive safely by actually seeing down the road a normal distance. The stock headlights were very dangerous in my opinion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have a link...can't find on Amazon. Did you need additional components, other then the base kit, to prevent flashing?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I got a xenon kit from Diode Dynamics, using the Hylux ballasts, and it's been great- it was their part number hidkit9012_4k
The lighting in my gen 1 is now very good, from very poor with the stock halogens.

The install is easy, the parts ( ballast and emi filter) fit into spots near each headlight - I used velcro to hold things in place.

No problems with this at all, and I've had it about 2 1/2 years now I can highly recommend this setup

I wrote about it in sept 2017 in the posthere

-Lumos
2014 Gen 1

·
Banned
489 Posts
I put Diode Dynamics HID kit in my 2015. 5000K temp. It has been working perfectly. Now I can drive safely by actually seeing down the road a normal distance. The stock headlights were very dangerous in my opinion.
The OEM headlamps are very good for night driving...its like they are not on at all. Terrible.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I think it is possible to plug the connectors in backwards (or for the wiring to just be backwards) and sometimes you have to reverse the connectors to get them to light up. Did you try that on your kit?

I got the DDM Tuning kit listed below for my 2013 Volt. Has been working great for 1 year so far. Never had any flicker, failure to light, or any other problem (other than 1 resolved issue mentioned below). They just work.

Stock bulbs were downright scary at night, especially in the rain. I tried LED and it was an improvement, but still not good. Now with HID, I can see well and am confident driving at night again, even in the rain. A huge improvement over stock. Very happy and consider it a mandatory modification to this car and well worth whatever you spend on it. These could easily save you from a driving mishap at night that would cost far more to repair.

I am not sure exactly how these stack up against other makes, but I feel like these were moderately priced. Expensive enough not to be garbage, but not top of the line.

Shipping was a bit slow from overseas, and one bulb burned out within a day, but was replaced for free. Installation was direct plug in with no relays or any extra wiring to install. I did drill the dust caps, though. I added some industrial velcro for securing the ballasts, or you could screw them down. Finding a good spot for them took a little thought because it is tight in there. I got a lower color temperature, 4500K, than many others get, and I recommend that. I think this provides better/safer illumination (in terms of how well your eyes can see the lighted roadway ahead at night).

Parts on invoice:
DDM HID Kit, 35W, 9006, Ultra 4500K Bulbs ($40)
Error Code Eliminator (PAIR) ($10)

·
Registered
207 Posts
For those of you who were successful, where are you getting your switched 12V from? Are you using the bulb leads for power, or just for trigger and getting the 12V from elsewhere?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
For those of you who were successful, where are you getting your switched 12V from? Are you using the bulb leads for power, or just for trigger and getting the 12V from elsewhere?

Using bulb leads for power.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I think it is possible to plug the connectors in backwards (or for the wiring to just be backwards) and sometimes you have to reverse the connectors to get them to light up. Did you try that on your kit?

I got the DDM Tuning kit listed below for my 2013 Volt. Has been working great for 1 year so far. Never had any flicker, failure to light, or any other problem (other than 1 resolved issue mentioned below). They just work.

Stock bulbs were downright scary at night, especially in the rain. I tried LED and it was an improvement, but still not good. Now with HID, I can see well and am confident driving at night again, even in the rain. A huge improvement over stock. Very happy and consider it a mandatory modification to this car and well worth whatever you spend on it. These could easily save you from a driving mishap at night that would cost far more to repair.

Parts on invoice:
DDM HID Kit, 35W, 9006, Ultra 4500K Bulbs ($40)
Error Code Eliminator (PAIR) ($10)
Barry, you stated that you tried LED headlights but which LED lights were they?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I am aware of the difference but Barry didn't specify which LEDs he used. BIG difference between different bulbs.

You ain't kidding. There are now hundreds of different types of Chinese LED aftermarket avail and I'm fairly certain the folks linked above in the video have tested the majority of these!:eek:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts