GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a 2014 volt used from a chevy dealer in town about 1.5 months ago.
So it would not produce heat intermittently in electric mode. When it works it works great, when it is not working, it just blows cold air.
After I read all the threads in the forum and decided to take it in to check it out.
Dealer called me and told me it was the coolant heater module, which was shorting internally, and would normally cost 2200 to replace, but they would give me a discount and do it at cost of 1600?? Does this sound reasonable? I thought it was only a software update since it is intermittent. I don`t want to shell out 1600 for this since I only got it 1.5 months ago. What other options do I have?

Can I drive with gas engine to get heat? Dealer said if it doesn`t get fixed, it may stop the car from running entirely at some point. Is this true?

This is frustrating.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I would imagine it's doable as a DIY job but may require the use of a VCX nano for module reprogramming once the new unit is installed. You'll also need to do a coolant bleed which requires a vac-n-fill system. According to the service manual, it is easiest done with the intake manifold removed, so it doesn't sound like a small job.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Plus the part alone is $500. You're not exactly getting ripped off with the $1600 quote.

(And yes, not heating the battery can cause excessive reduction in battery life, which .. is an even pricier part.)

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
The battery heater loop is separate from the cabin heater loop, so a problem with one does not mean the other is broken. The battery loop needs to work to protect the battery, but I think it wold throw a code if that one did not work. You could try living with your problem and you would probably still be able to get cabin heat using hold mode or the engine assisted heat mode (referred to on the forum as ERDTT). The climate you live in might be a factor in that decision. Someone in Miami might see that differently from someone in Minneapolis.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Don't you have a short-term warranty from the used car place? In NYS I believe it is 3 months, depending on the mileage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

Unfortunately there is no warranty even it is a Chevy dealer who sold the car to me. I got GM involved and they are getting back to me within this week and see what they can do. I`m not holding my breath though. The car drives fine and if it is going to be $1600, I`m probably not going to fix it, I`ll just run gas when I need heat. I`m from KY so the winter is not too bad.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Gloves on the hands, heated seats for the bum and you're good to go. Who needs a working heater? 8^)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts