GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been covered, couldn't find anything similar.

In the last week I just started getting a humming sound and a vibration when I engage the climate system. As soon as I turn it on you can hear/feel it. The heat works it's just louder than normal. Seems to be coming from the front but it's a little hard to locate. It does not seem to be the fan itself as that has it's own sound and the frequency of the hum does not change regardless of the speed of the fan. Plus I know this sound was not there before.

I plan on taking it to the dealer to diagnose but just wanted to know if anyone had any idea what this might be, rather than rely on them to figure it out on their own. I usually find that the dealer is much quicker to diagnose when I point them in the right direction.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
The A/C compressure or other pumps ?

·
Registered
974 Posts
I had something similar last summer. Decided it was the AC compressor. Topped off the refrigerant and the noise went away. I plan to get the compressor refrigerant serviced right before next summer starts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know, so if I turn the fan on but make sure the front defogger is not on then the noise should stop (if it's the compressor). I shall try that.

·
Administrator
20,150 Posts
A few have reported a lose A/C line in the engine bay that caused a vibration. Open the hood, perhaps yours has this issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The noise is there even if the front defogger is not on. I can try to take a look for a loose hose but it's been damn cold out there. It does seem to be getting a little louder too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just tossing this out there...

One cold night a couple months ago, I took a trip that used the ICE (in CS mode). As I approached home I switched to CD mode to use up remaining battery charge. When I arrived and parked, I noticed a puzzling noise / vibration. Hmmm...

No vibration next day - 'huh' - I thought. Few days later another cold snap - and discovered I had no heat in EV mode...

Turns out, the EV mode HVAC coolant pump failed ($637). Looking back on it, I'm suspicious the noise / vibration was the failing pump - perhaps impeller imbalance?

Check to see if noise / vibration is near right-front wheel well (location of the pump)...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think this is my problem. It seems to explain my symptoms. Except AC is quiet. It seems to be only for heat while on battery.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts