GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just bought a 2014 volt and I'm trying to determine if I have the clippercreek or the Lear charger. It is my understanding that the 2014 s came with both depending on when they were made. I researched and cannot come to a solution. Thank you

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Hi, I just bought a 2014 volt and I'm trying to determine if I have the clippercreek or the Lear charger. It is my understanding that the 2014 s came with both depending on when they were made. I researched and cannot come to a solution. Thank you
When you take the car in for service have them check the EVSE. If the dealer determines that it is the Lear EVSE there is a recall program for this EVSE as it can overheat. The dealer should replace it.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I thought the Lears were only for model years 11-12 and 15. All the 14's should be Clipper Creek, I think. One difference is if there is a button on the EVSE to change the current from 8-12 Amps, that is a Lear unit.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
IIRC, the Clipper Creeks are held together with screws, the Lears are glued together. My 2014 has a Clipper Creek.

·
Registered
513 Posts
All 2014 'chargers' are the same - They are all built into the car

Don

·
Administrator
20,198 Posts
All 2014 'chargers' are the same - They are all built into the car

Don
IOW, the item you are referring to is called an EVSE, not a "charger". The charger is a big silver metal unit built into the car behind the passenger side bumper.

EVSE vs. Charger

EVSE-120-volt.jpg Charger-vs.-EVSE 2.jpg

·
Registered
319 Posts
Since 9 out of 10 people, EV drivers and others as well, will call the thing hanging on the wall that you use to charge your EV a "charger", how about let's rename the in-car unit something else that only those in the know will be discussing anyway. I just don't like to see posts year after year from superior minds finding fault with terminology that "everyone" uses-- logically, however wrongly. What does the Volt shop manual call the in-car unit? Let's coin a new term.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Ok, my EVSE is held together with glue. No screws sadly.
So if the EVSE was manufactured by Lear is it under a recall or does the recall only apply to certain early models of the Lear EVSE (the ones with the orange AC power cord/plug)?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
So if the EVSE was manufactured by Lear is it under a recall or does the recall only apply to certain early models of the Lear EVSE (the ones with the orange AC power cord/plug)?
Again IIRC, the bad ones had cords that were both orange.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Since 9 out of 10 people, EV drivers and others as well, will call the thing hanging on the wall that you use to charge your EV a "charger", how about let's rename the in-car unit something else that only those in the know will be discussing anyway. I just don't like to see posts year after year from superior minds finding fault with terminology that "everyone" uses-- logically, however wrongly. What does the Volt shop manual call the in-car unit? Let's coin a new term.
Just to be pedantic: GM calls the cable with the box that you plug into a 120v receptacle a "charge cord". If what is plugged into the car is detected to be at 208v or 240v, it is considered to be a "charging station".

·
Registered
513 Posts
Every automotive battery charger built over the last 100 years or so takes household AC and converts it to regulated DC to charge the battery. How about we just keep calling those things 'chargers' since that's what they actually do, plus that's what everyone has been calling them all along. If you're going to be an EV driver, why don't we call that little box which has either 120 volts AC going in and 120 volts AC coming out *or* 240 volts going in and 240 volts coming out something else?? Say for instance an Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment?? That's what EV drivers have been calling them for years and years. You can Google it . . . . it has a name and a function and it's NOT a 'charger' - Why call it something else just so those who don't know what it is or what it does can call it something it isn't???

Don

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Just to be pedantic: GM calls the cable with the box that you plug into a 120v receptacle a "charge cord". If what is plugged into the car is detected to be at 208v or 240v, it is considered to be a "charging station".
The term "charge cord" sounds far more intuitive than EVSE. No newcomer is ever going to start out thinking of it as an EVSE or have any idea what an EVSE is until they ask and it is explained. "Charge cord" on the other hand is obvious. A much better term to use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts