GM Volt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New-ish (ten weeks old) 2014 Volt for sale in southern Ohio. Contact cranky owner for price. 2,600 miles and climbing. Flawless, mint condition with safety package 1 and 2. That includes a back-up camera, make-up application feature (a/k/a lane departure warning), multiple cupholders, custom Voltscreen, crash notification, and personal directions lady.

Silver Topaz (light blue) with black non-leather seats. No spare tire, no full-tank of gas, and no picture (yet). Has never been appraised by CarMax. We will not get the $7,500 federal tax credit and neither will you. Ohio has no incentives to buy this car. Paid $36,XXX for it 10 weeks ago after discounts.

Driven by grandma to-and-from church every Sunday and to the hair salon every six weeks for root touch-up and cut. Never garaged. Eating in the Volt is allowed and encouraged. Very low to the ground so easy access for old dogs but not old husbands.

Private message DogMom here on the forum if you're interested and I'll give you my e-mail. This lovable car will be listed in other media in 48 hours so contact me soon or I'll have to sell it to some other stranger.

·
4,874 Posts
Starting with "Over-priced" ? You know how to be persuasive! ;)

DogMom, I don't understand. You took the $7500 credit yes? So you're trying to effectively get $29,000 + $7500= $36,500 for this car, when a new one starts at $34,170 before discounts and tax credit. So you paid $36,XXX for it and want to get $36,500 for it?

I'm not trying to rain on the parade here, but by all accounts I think you're asking a bit much for the car. I mean no offense of course, I just want to help you get a reasonable price, while also being able to actually execute the transaction.

EDIT: The original post has been edited since I responded to it, so before anyone becomes too offended, please understand:
The original post prior to being edited:
1) Stated the asking price
2) Literally started with the words "Over priced"
3) Didn't mention a private message for contacting her

For these reasons I feel my post was completely appropriate. It sounded like she thought her price was too high ("over priced") and had some humor in her own ad. It sounded completely within reason to respond to her as I had given this fact.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Gotta be willing to take a hit if you're selling a new car after 10 weeks. There's just no way around that within the bounds of moral integrity (which I assume fits you).

·
877 Posts
No need to get hostile the car is not worth that number so unless someone wants to just throw money away the car is not saleable at that number. End of story

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Gotta be willing to take a hit if you're selling a new car after 10 weeks. There's just no way around that within the bounds of moral integrity (which I assume fits you).
+1. Price is simply not realistic. Perhaps if your Volt was a loaded '14 you might get close to what you're asking, but not a base + couple options.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
...the car is not worth that number so unless someone wants to just throw money away the car is not saleable at that number. End of story
Not everyone can take the $7,500 tax credit- so in this case you'd be getting a virtually new Volt (with safety I and II) for $29k.
It's not a terrible deal.....

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Can you say Ouch!

Your not going to like your options on selling, take it to car-max, what they are offering will be within 1K of what you can get. My bet is you will in the end keep the car realizing its stupid to give someone else a 10K discount from your bank account

·
Registered
481 Posts
Read her other posts, learn her individual circumstances and WHY she'd selling her Volt. Why are there are so many cruel and ignorant bullies here? Thank God for the forum's 'Ignore' feature.
Not cruel, just realistic. I've got compassion for her circumstances, but not enough to adopt her losses. She's gonna take a bath on this sale, no way around it. That's not cruel, it's real.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
WTF -- did you READ her original post? Geez...

She said "We will not get the $7,500 federal tax credit and neither will you. Ohio has no incentives to buy this car. "

Read her other posts, learn her individual circumstances and WHY she'd selling her Volt. Why are there are so many cruel and ignorant bullies here? Thank God for the forum's 'Ignore' feature.
It doesn't matter if she personally didn't qualify for the full credit. Fact is the 7.5k is lopped off the resale value of all Volts right off the dealer's lot, regardless of how much an individual actually received. Fair? No, but that's the current state of affairs.

The fact that her asking price is the same as buying the same exact version of her Volt new from a dealer (minus the credit) is the reason for the less than positive feedback posted in this thread. It is simply unrealistic. It would be like buying a regular car new, then trying to sell it used for the exact same you purchased it for. Math just doesn't work.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Well this is a drag.

No one to fight with now.

This place is gonna suck more then when I was suspended.

Good news is, one less woman driver. ;) (Something to remember me by!)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I passed on a 2013 with 13,000 miles for $24,000 . Instead I bought a new one for $22,000 (after rebates ) . I would be a buyer on a used 2014 with 13,000 miles for $19,000 . Since Ohio has not special rebates , and the car has a bit less mileage it could sell for a bit higher .

·
Registered
351 Posts
This is precisely what she wanted to avoid if you followed her remarks in the other thread.

DogMom doesn't care what you got your car for or what your opinions are - she's just trying to sell her Volt by starting a thread in this Forum.

Why doesn't everyone do her a favor: remove your posts - she's not looking for commentary.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Sorry, I stopped reading that thread after page 5 or so. I know a lot of people on these forums just hit the "what's new" tab and browse threads that way. The problem with this is that it's not blatant which forum the thread is in. I didn't realize when posting that it was the sales forum.

·
4,874 Posts
"Hey guys, a dealer sold me a Volt for $10k over MSRP, so don't bash me when I try to resell for the same, ok?"

Same kind of situation if you can't take the tax credit. Though in the off chance someone wants a new Volt and isn't eligible for the tax credit, then DogMom's price is a good deal. Problem is that is a slice of a slice of a market.

People on the forum are just giving their honest opinion on the price. It is a public forum and unavoidable.

To DogMom, I really hope you can just do plan B, which would be to find a way that your husband can go into and out of the Volt without pain. That way, you don't lose your Volt, we don't lose you, Elemental still has a purpose in life, and you can continue to drive with a big smile on your face.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
This reminds me of my friends wife who wanted to sell their $360,000 home for $450,000 . Her reason was she wanted a certain amount to pay all her bills and cars and not work for a year .

After 1 year , and no offers , she took the house off the market . 18 months later the value dropped to $190,000 .

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Moderators of many of the forums that I belong to, would delete all of the posts that members have posted here and the same should happen here. Is there nothing about this in the forum rules?

What DogMom asks for here car is none of your business and you should confine your comments to the other thread where she asked for everyone's opinion, she hasn't asked for it here. To flood this thread with such comments is both rude and in bad taste. The market will decide what the car is worth.

·
602 Posts
Moderators of many of the forums that I belong to, would delete all of the posts that members have posted here and the same should happen here. Is there nothing about this in the forum rules?

What DogMom asks for here car is none of your business and you should confine your comments to the other thread where she asked for everyone's opinion, she hasn't asked for it here. To flood this thread with such comments is both rude and in bad taste. The market will decide what the car is worth.
another volt for a 'for sale' area where the no price bashing rule is

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.