GM Volt Forum banner

How many miles does your 2014 Volt run on BEFORE switching to gas when fully charged?

• 20 or less (Please specify with a comment!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So I recently purchased a 2014 Chevy Volt (purchased in December of 2013) and it's been running fairly well. It is by far the smoothest and quietest car I've ever driven, but I do have one major issue: the promised electrical mileage. The 2014 Volt should provide 38 miles if driven perfectly, yet the maximum I've gotten is 26 miles. I am aware that my home charger can only charge 80%, and when I charged it at home I only got 22 miles on electric. After going to my local Chevy dealership, having them charge it for me at 100%, and driving the car on ECO mode with minimal heating, the electric motor only provided 26 miles! The employees at my local dealership did not give me a satisfactory response, and I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing a similar problem. I would greatly appreciate it if any readers with a 2014 Volt would provide the electrical mileage that their car receives as well as whether they have the standard 80% charger or a premium charger, even if it is functioning at the promised level or a higher level. Thanks so much!

·
8,680 Posts
If you read any of the several stickies about mileage, you'd know that the mileage estimate is very heavily dependent on climate as well as technique, and you've only seen the car in the winter, by far the worst season for EV mileage.

Also, the 80% charger sounds like you're confused. There's no difference in the maximum state of charge reached by different chargers on the car - all of them will stop at about 86% absolute SoC to protect the battery life.

Also, miles aren't all the same. Two cars can be sitting side by side with an identical amount of energy in the battery, but one will say 25 miles while the other says 50 - based on the car's past driving history. If you drove them the same way at the same temperature, they'd both go the same number of miles (and when you recharged them, both estimates would move a lot closer to what actually happened on that drive.

·
Registered
269 Posts
When I took delivery it indicated an estimated 37 miles on first start up. Since then my estimated range has grown to 53 miles with the milder weather we are now having. I have had very limited high speed EV miles and have been able to do a partial charge before going into extended range.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Don't get paranoid. You just the car for a few days.

My experience:

From the dealership at 10 miles on the ODO, my car was at 33 EV miles. Drove it for several days in the single digit temperatures from Nov to about Mid Feb in NH, was getting about 28-32 EV miles.

Now, Spring time at 60-70 F degrees weather, my EV miles is now at 45 miles max charge. It's increasing slowly in range as temperature is increasing.

Total miles I've driven is about 5000 miles since Nov. 2013

·
Registered
719 Posts
I am not sure what you are referring to with your home car charger doing 80% and other doing 100%.

As far as I know, there are only two types of EVSE ("charger") for the Volt.
The standard one that comes with the car and runs on 120Volt: It can be used at 8 amps (around 14h for a full charge) or at 12 Amps (around 10hours for a full charge.
The 240V EVSEs that can charge the car at 14Amp (~3.3Kw) and take around 4 hours to fully charge.

But In all cases as long as you let it complete it will fully charge the car.

Now and that may be what confuses you, although the Volt battery has a capacity of around 16.5Kwh, The Volt only uses about 10.5 kwh of that total capacity. The Volt Never charges the battery fully regardless of the charger used, and it never discharge the battery fully either.

This is to protect the life of the battery and make sure it will be able to maintain these 10.5Kwh or usable capacity for years to come.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I've had my Volt almost a month now...
My range from the dealership started at 38 EV miles, we had some very cold weather and even snow the day after I got the car, my range went down to 37 miles for one or two days. Since then it's been slowly warming up and I'm in the 43-44 EV mile range now.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's been unusually cold in Chicago since you bought your Volt. Warmer weather will improve your range. Using the heater can reduce your range greatly. What is your typical daily drive? I get about 38 miles in winter (with very limited heating used) and 50 miles in summer. 32 miles per day: 10 miles suburban 35-45 mph with ~ 14 stops and 22 miles non-stop 60 mph expressway.

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
I do have one major issue: the promised electrical mileage. The 2014 Volt should provide 38 miles if driven perfectly, yet the maximum I've gotten is 26 miles.
When I first got the car in May 2011, it was estimating 35 miles. As I drove the car, it adjusted the estimate based on my previous trips. That's how it works. It's predicting. As others have said, weather and driving style and climate controls settings will affect the actual range you get—which will in turn influence future estimates.

I'm a few towns away from you and my 2011 (which has a smaller battery than a 2013/2014) was showing 46 on the range estimate this weekend. Had I wanted to, I could have driven the car hard, hopped on I-355 and cranked it up to 70 MPH with the heater blasting and I would NOT have achieved 46 miles. And my estimate the next day would be lower as the car tried to guess battery mileage based on my joyride.

In short, don't worry, all is fine. But read this FAQ: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?18609-Battery-Mile-Estimate-in-30-s-not-40-s-50-s.-Problem

P.S. Welcome!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
OP...
After your next full charge- before you start driving- zero out "trip B" and press the leaf button (the top half of the Drive Mode switch), then on the touchscreen display press "energy info" tab and then "energy usage" button on the left. Drive your car- and at the end of your trip take the "miles driven" figure on the touchscreen or on trip "B" and divide it by the "kWh used". Most seem to get 3.5 or higher miles/kWh. Last week on a very nice warm day with no headwinds I drove home from work 28mi and used 7kWh of electricity... that gave me a 4mi/kWh rate. With a full 10.5Kw in the battery my estimated range that day was 42mi.

One more thought...
Have you ever owned a hybrid or EV before?
Many of us here come from a previous hybrid or EV so we're accustomed to operating them for max efficiency. If you treat any hybrid or EV like a gasoline car- you'll be disappointed by the efficiency results. No pedal mashing starts, no hard stops at red lights... conserve momentum, any time you slow down- remember you need to add energy to get going again. Ant time you drive faster than you need and have to take your foot off the pedal to slow down - you wasted more energy.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Given the Snowageddon Chicago saw, i could barely keep mine above 26 miles of range until the temps started to warm up. The real question is whether you are driving like a grandpa or like a race car driver. The car mileage can vary greatly depending on how lead footed you are as well as all the other factors people have mentioned. Also check your tire pressure. Are they all at 40 psi?

·
Registered
264 Posts
My guess is that he is only charging on 8 amps instead of 12. So, instead of having a fully charged battery in the morning, he only has about 80% because it takes ~4 hours more to charge on 8 vs 12.

kshah, make sure you change the setting every time you are ready to charge whenever you are using the OEM charger. This is a gripe amongst many Volt owners...and you can bypass all of this by installing a Level 2 charger.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Hi all,
So I recently purchased a 2014 Chevy Volt (purchased in December of 2013) and it's been running fairly well. It is by far the smoothest and quietest car I've ever driven, but I do have one major issue: the promised electrical mileage. The 2014 Volt should provide 38 miles if driven perfectly, yet the maximum I've gotten is 26 miles. I am aware that my home charger can only charge 80%, and when I charged it at home I only got 22 miles on electric.
All volt EVSE units charge the battery up to full capacity. I suspect you are never allowing the battery to charge up fully overnight. Let your car fully charge up before unplugging. Do this for two weeks because your history is screwed up. You will see the range estimator value increase over time. If you determine that your 120 outlet circuit can handle 12Amps then that will decrease the charging time. The default 8amp setting (the car always returns to this setting...read the manual) takes a long time to charge up via 120 volts.

·
Registered
240 Posts
While it didn't get this range initially, I'm regularly seeing about 42 miles now that I've got couple of thousand miles on the car. I guess it needed to be broken in. I'm not doing anything special. Tire pressure is as it came from the dealer (the TPI reads somewhere between 38 and 41) and I do run in "L" most of the time. Most of my driving is on Suburban roads.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
As other's have said, there is no "single" or "best" answer, there are TOO MANY variables. Remember the Volt's range is affected by the THREE T's - Temperature, Terrain and Technique

Just consider all the variables each of us deal with in our daily travels and you can see why there is NO SINGLE answer. But right now where I live (flat land in southern Illinois) and spring like temps and a light foot I can easily get 42 to 45 miles from a charge.

BTW I can eaily get 50+ miles from a charge if I put my mind to it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My daily commute is 60 miles, about 15 in the city and 45 on the freeway. Maybe 25 miles on the freeway is at speed limit, and the other 20 is traffic restricted, sometimes down to a crawl (which increases range).

I am in Houston, where it is warm and flat.

I usually get 44-45 miles on a charge. In winter, when it drops into the 40s (brrrr), mileage will drop into the mid-30s.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I am back up to 46 miles, as long as the temps are mild I hit that number nearly every time I have a longer distance driving day. The predictive feature on the Volt has gotten better after driving the Volt more. When I use the AC on Eco this will drop by 2 or 3 miles. I keep the tires at 44 when I can, but they tend to drop to 39-40 and then stay there, not sure why. I drive fairly gently, but 5 miles per hour over the speed limit, generally. I used to drive at 62 mph on the interstate, but I have found that 67 mph doesn't take that much off my AER, maybe 2 miles or so. I have to test that some more to get a better feel for how speed impacts my AER. I have the newer shorter air dam now so I need to see if that has changed my interstate AER too, but so far the impact appears to be minimal.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I eeked out 53.8 EV miles on my 2012 last week while it was in the 60s. Looking forward to the warmer temps.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just picked up a 14 Diamond White Volt 2 days ago. The battery range showed 33 miles. Temp was 65 to 75 deg and half the time I had the climate set on comfort. My first charge was more than 50 miles. I was at 52 miles and 10 kw used when I plugged it in! What is the usable capacity of the 14 battery?

·
Registered
145 Posts
my best was 58.4 mile on 10.6kWh and still had 1 mile estimate left... I did 51.1 last night on 10 kWh with 5 mile estimate left.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts