GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO, I've had my 2014 for a month now, have around 1000 miles and have figured out most of the differences from my 2012. Two things puzzle me:

1) Charge completion time actual performance. I have the car set up to start charging when it needs to to be ready to go at 6:45 AM. In my 2012, it would usually mean (from a 0 miles condition) it would start charging around 9:15 PM and finish very close to 6:45, within 5 minutes. On the 2014, I have it set the same way (I think) and yet it is finishing, from the txt message I have it send, between 45 to 60 minutes "early". Not a big deal, it means it could start a little later, charge more in the off-peak time rather than the small amount in peak time. The relatively large estimation time difference surprises me. Anyone have any ideas why the difference?

2) Daily range estimation: In my 2012, the estimate would change a couple times a week. Winter time in California near the coast weekly might be 35 miles. No A/C, no heat, I could see 40 or 42 miles and a handful of times a year, 44 miles (BTW I have my headlights on "auto"). Since I drive 21.7 miles to work each way, 43-44 miles of range meant a totally gasoline-free day! With my 2014, 1000 miles in, every morning it says 38 or 39 miles. Doesn't seem to change and yes, I know the 2014 is "rated" for 38 miles but sticking to that so consistently seems like a little too much massaging of the data by the system. Maybe I am old school, but I liked it that the range varied and by adjusting my driving style I could improve my range. Now one thing has changed that may play into this-the 2014 has HOV lane privileges and my early 2012 did not. That means my average speed on most days is significantly higher and could, I imagine, be effecting my range the way it is. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
679 Posts
1. Charge I'm thinking the EVSE is supplying more AMPS due to a better EVSE, even at 120v you can get more with a better EVSE, I know I'm going to get flamed for saying it but I know my 2013 will pull more AMPS from my OPEN EVSE than from the stock EVSE.

2. High Speed = Lower Range that's Physics keep your tires 43~45 PSI it will help also new tires = lower range. Range will come up, you should get more range from the 2014 more battery 1+ kWh. If you only have 1K Miles the bearings and tires are not broken in yet give it more time. I have had more 50+ AER after 20K than I had when it was new.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I think that the volt also "learns" it's charging time over time, and will gradually adjust when it expects to be done if it always charges from the same equipment. I have nothing in writing to back this up, its just my own observation.

steady higher speeds make for lower range and for more consistent range estimates. remember that your range estimate has NOTHING to do with the actual range that you will get on your next charge, it just tells you about your last few weeks of driving.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts