GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i need help my volt thru a pob4f code bad battery segment had the car towed to the dealer they have had it 9 weeks and no loaner car. They came backed to me the other day and said their district mgr says the battery is not covered and want to charge me 14000.00 for pack and labor. Chevy customer service has been ZERO help polite but not going anywhere. The car has 60,000 trouble free miles and it is still well within the 8 year 100,00 voltec warranty that chevy says does not exist. I have shown them the warranty coverage manual many times but its like beating your head against the wall. I need HELP!!!!! or is my only course is to sue gm??

·
Registered
524 Posts
The battery certainly is covered by the Voltec warranty, up to 8 years/100,000 miles. I wouldn't have bought my Volt if they didn't offer this warranty.

You SHOULD be able to get someone at Chevrolet to acknowledge that! Keep trying and go up the ladder as necessary. If you have the warranty manual that says it is covered, and they are saying it isn't, I would make an appointment to see the district manager and show him the warranty booklet in person. And if he still denies coverage, say you want it in writing, with his signature. Then send a copy of that letter along with a copy of the warranty booklet saying it is covered, to the GM CEO (Mary Barra). Be very polite, apologizing for having to bother her with this, etc.

Do not waste time with anyone between the district manager and Mary Barra. Go right to the top!

I used this tactic once when I had an NEC laptop (6 of them, actually) with various problems. I kept returning them for another one and finally was talking with the guy in charge of NEC in the USA. In fact his secretary knew who I was as soon as she picked up the phone because she recognized my voice from calling so many times. The USA head guy finally said he couldn't do anything for me and said just go exchange it for another. I reminded him I had done this SIX times and each laptop had a different problem.

So I decided to look up who is the top boss of NEC. He was in Tokyo. I had his name but not an address. I sent a letter to the company headquarters in Tokyo with ATTN: his name. In the letter I detailed the problems with each laptop including serial numbers, etc. I apologized for bothering him but said I had gotten no help from the USA boss. I said I really liked their products and just wanted to get one that worked. I figured I would never hear back from him and would have to just get my money back and buy from one of their competitors.

I never did hear directly from the NEC head guy in Tokyo, but about a month later I receive a call from Mr. USA boss and he is grovelling, asking WHAT can he do to keep me as a customer? Since the factory the laptops were made in was in the same state as I lived in, he offered to pull 2 laptops from the production line and extensively test them for 2 weeks. Then I could meet him at the factory for a tour and select whichever one I wanted. I said that would be acceptable as long as at least one of them worked!

In the end he was too busy to fly out for the factory tour, and I had already exchanged for #6 at the store. Wouln't you know it, it also had a problem with a little screen brightness slider? I called Mr USA boss back (who was now VERY helpful) and he had 2 engineers from the factory meet me at my office. They were sure they knew what the problem was. They disassembled the laptop and discovered it was a different problem and required a soldering iron to fix. They had not brought a soldering iron, but since it was lunchtime, I was able to take them to one of the technician's benches (who was out to lunch) and they fixed it there. Then they said they were instructed to take me to lunch, anywhere I wanted, and NEC would pay. Now we're getting somewhere! See what I said about going right to the top? Since all 3 of us were engineers, we had a most interesting conversation over lunch at a nice steakhouse. They said I was famous in their factory. The big boss in Tokyo had sent a copy of my letter to EVERY employee in that factory! They explained that their factory had been tasked with taking over worldwide production and the laptops were being produced so fast that many with problems were escaping before being detected. One of the engineers said if I had any more problems, just drop it off at his house and he would take it to work with him and get it fixed.

Well, that's a long story but I like to tell it once in a while. Just shows what kind of results are possible if you go right to the top. A friend of mine once had a problem with an HP calculator, he wrote a letter to Mr Packard and got similar results.

Good luck with your battery, I'm sure it will eventually be fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for reply fred i know its covered and you know its covered but they say its not. I have tried to meet with the district but he has refused as far as he is concerned it is settled. they now want a 300.00 diag. fee and if i don't remove the car they will charge me 75.00 a day storage fee. I don't want to mention the dealer for fear of further harrasment but lets say its a dealer in lake city fl. I thought about your suggestion to contact M. Bara but if i go straight to the top and it fails i have no where else to go

·
Registered
524 Posts
You could also try some other dealers until you find one that agrees the battery is under warranty. I guess you will have to get the car towed away from that dealer since they are going to charge $75 per day.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Why on earth has the car been at the dealer for 9 weeks with no progress? This time delay is unacceptable. And now they want to charge you storage?

Sounds like a dealership problem, not a Chevy problem. Work up the food chain to get this resolved. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Do they give a reason? Is the car have scrap title or something? There's got to be more to this story that you aren't telling us.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok here's the new deal i called coggin chevy in jacksonville fl. and talked to the service mgr. he was able to acess the records from the other dealership and also talk to the area supervisor. the story i got is the whole battery pack has to be bad not just a segment. the error code keeps coming up as a emissions problem not covered by warranty????? He is total confused he has only replaced 1 whole battery in the last 3 years and a dozen segments, they are going to contact the TAC team in detroit and get this hopefully fixed.
stay tuned

·
Registered
39 Posts
Please follow up with the Volt community here re: your resolution, whatever the final outcome is!! My nephew is getting ready to buy a 2014 Volt w/ 70,000 miles next week, based only on my strong recommendation & endorsement.

I drove a 2014 Volt for 50K miles, and traded it for a 2016 ELR that I've since put another 35K miles on (80% all-electric miles), and I could not be happier w/ GM's Voltec platform based on my own experience. Many other posts on this forum over the past 5 years have suggested the Volt's battery back should be reliable in terms of recharging capacity to at least 150K - 200K miles (or more), before replacement should be necessary. There are a lot of Volts out there still on the road sporting these kinds of odometer readings, I understand.

I've always taken GREAT comfort in the "100K Mile" Voltec power train warranty, because of the feared cost of having to replace the Li batteries some day. But a Volt owner having to replace the battery back for $14K, OUTSIDE of warranty at only 60K miles, would cause me to fundamentally question my prior "evangelism" for the Voltec platform!!!

Thanks for sharing your experience, and good luck!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the battery pack segment is not bad per se the temp sensor is giving the computer a false reading hens the reduce power and bad battery codes the battery most likely is fine just a bad sensor which has to go back to TAC in detroit. But some how the warranty now claims the whole pack has to be declared bad for it to be warranty. Which is a shift in policy thats why they built the battery in segments so the would not have to replace the whole damm pack go figure we'll see what TAC says monday

·
Registered
524 Posts
If the battery is under warranty, and a segment or even a single cell fails, then it stands to reason that the part that failed is also under warranty since it is a part of the battery. Stating that warranty coverage would be denied unless the ENTIRE battery failed is ridiculous, I would take them to court over that interpretation.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If the battery is under warranty, and a segment or even a single cell fails, then it stands to reason that the part that failed is also under warranty since it is a part of the battery. Stating that warranty coverage would be denied unless the ENTIRE battery failed is ridiculous, I would take them to court over that interpretation.
You could try, but they have MUCH deeper pockets than any of us :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with you fred 100% Mike over at coggin is just as confused as i am but i am going to hold my thoughts till after they contact TAC on monday to find out the deal ya gotta love chevy LOL

·
Administrator
20,343 Posts
I'm sorry sir, I know the oil hose is covered under warranty, but the entire hose must fail and your's only failed in one spot...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think you need to look up the definition of a class action lawsuit.
A "class action" lawsuit is one in which a group of people with the same or similar injuries caused by the same product or action sue the defendant as a group. Other names for lawsuits brought by a number of people who suffered similar harm or losses are "mass tort litigation" and "multi-district litigation" ("MDL")

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm sorry sir, I know the oil hose is covered under warranty, but the entire hose must fail and your's only failed in one spot...
Still waiting for a reply from TAC veterans day was yesterday so nobody was work yesterday should hear something today

1 - 18 of 18 Posts