GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 2014 Volt for 8 years 9 months with 47,000 miles (mostly electric miles). In the past month, my batter range has reduced from 40 miles per full charge to 30-32 miles per full charge. We live in Florida, so cold weather is not the problem. Does this mean that my battery is failing? What are my alternatives? Can this be fixed?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Is hotter weather "the problem"? Are you using air conditioning more now than a few months ago? Is your climate system set to automatic and using more power, or longer run time, without your direct awareness so as to maintain an consistent inside temperature against a hotter outside? Battery power is used for more than just operating the drive motor, so 'miles' per charge isn't enough information.
A better estimate of battery capacity is the power consumption from "full" to "empty". I also use mostly electric power for my trips. Only rarely do I drive further than battery charge can take me. When I do, I see that I have used just about 10 kWh of battery energy before the gasoline engine starts. That 10-ish kWh is more indicative of battery capacity than the number of miles I drove.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 100k+ Miles
1,116 Posts
In order to determine if the battery is developing issues, you would need a good OBDII reader like the OBDLink MX+ and the MyGreenVolt app to check the individual cell status. As Lug_Nut said, the number to focus on would be the kWh used.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is hotter weather "the problem"? Are you using air conditioning more now than a few months ago? Is your climate system set to automatic and using more power, or longer run time, without your direct awareness so as to maintain an consistent inside temperature against a hotter outside? Battery power is used for more than just operating the drive motor, so 'miles' per charge isn't enough information.
A better estimate of battery capacity is the power consumption from "full" to "empty". I also use mostly electric power for my trips. Only rarely do I drive further than battery charge can take me. When I do, I see that I have used just about 10 kWh of battery energy before the gasoline engine starts. That 10-ish kWh is more indicative of battery capacity than the number of miles I drove.
Yes, I am sure I am using a/c more now than months ago. I may start with automatic, but then turn it down to low once car is cool. I keep it in garage, so does not start with high temperature.
I am not sure how to find out how much kWh of battery energy I use or how to find that information

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
399 Posts
I have a 2011, so mine has less info displayed, but yours being a 2014 should show in the center display (when you hit the leaf button) the amount of miles driven and the amount of energy consumed in kW-h.

Here is my screen, yours will show kW-h next to the electric miles driven (I think) where mine shows gas miles driven.
Gadget Audio equipment Sports equipment Car Vehicle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 2011, so mine has less info displayed, but yours being a 2014 should show in the center display (when you hit the leaf button) the amount of miles driven and the amount of energy consumed in kW-h.

Here is my screen, yours will show kW-h next to the electric miles driven (I think) where mine shows gas miles driven.
View attachment 174522

Thank you, MikeBCo. When I started the car, it showed 32 miles available on this charge. So I took it out for 6.5 miles and it said 1.7kWh used. for this charge. So, I don't know exactly what that means. Does that show that my battery is good, or failing?

·
Administrator
22,489 Posts
Please add your comments after the [/Quote] rather than before it. Otherwise your comment can get lost inside the other person's quoted comments.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You would need to run the battery to depletion, and then look at the kWh used number. That's the only good way to determine the total kWh available for the battery.

Reactions: imanjunk1963

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I
You would need to run the battery to depletion, and then look at the kWh used number. That's the only good way to determine the total kWh available for the battery.
Oh, I erased the QUOTE and then typed my reply; Sorry. I had replied to MikeBco: Thank you, MikeBCo. When I started the car, it showed 32 miles available on this charge. So I took it out for 6.5 miles and it said 1.7kWh used. for this charge. So, I don't know exactly what that means. Does that show that my battery is good, or failing? And Steverino explained I need to add my reply after the QUOTE.
Oh, thank you Off Oil - . I only ran it for 6.5 miles or so. I will try it again tomorrow. Thank you all, Off Oil, Steverino, and MikeBCo.

·
Registered
793 Posts
New tires will kill range for awhile until they are good and broke in. Low air pressure in the tires will hurt range. Blow them up to 40-42 psi. Your 1.7kw for 6.5 miles seems pretty normal. My 2011 has 183,000 miles on it. The 10 years old battery is obviously somewhat degraded, in beautiful 74 degree summer weather I’m getting 30 miles range. In ugly Michigan winter it’s more like 22-24. Your Volts battery will degrade somewhat with age. But my experience is that it’s perfectly functional and usable without issues. You just get less range.

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
399 Posts
Oh, thank you Off Oil - . I only ran it for 6.5 miles or so. I will try it again tomorrow. Thank you all, Off Oil, Steverino, and MikeBCo.
As OffOil said, charge it all the way up, then drive until the engine starts. Report back how many kW-h were delivered by the battery right when the engine first starts. A 2014 has (I think!) a 16.5 kW-h battery, but only about 10.8 kW-h are available for you to use. Hopefully your test shows that your battery is delivering close to this amount.

For reference my 2011 has a 16kW-h battery with about 10.4 usable (when new). I have been able to get about 10.2 kW-h out of it when the car had ~60,000 miles on it and 10 years old.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As OffOil said, charge it all the way up, then drive until the engine starts. Report back how many kW-h were delivered by the battery right when the engine first starts. A 2014 has (I think!) a 16.5 kW-h battery, but only about 10.8 kW-h are available for you to use. Hopefully your test shows that your battery is delivering close to this amount.

For reference my 2011 has a 16kW-h battery with about 10.4 usable (when new). I have been able to get about 10.2 kW-h out of it when the car had ~60,000 miles on it and 10 years old.
Thank you! I am charging it and will use it tomorrow and report the kW

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good afternoon! Today fully charged was 32 miles. I drove it until it switched over to gas 32.4 miles and used 8.8 kWh. So, does that mean my battery is failing? What should I do?
Thank you all for your assistance.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Good afternoon! Today fully charged was 32 miles. I drove it until it switched over to gas 32.4 miles and used 8.8 kWh. So, does that mean my battery is failing? What should I do?
That would put it at around 16% degradation. Estimated degradation per GM is between 10-30% over the 8 year/100k warranty period. Therefore no, it doesn't mean it's bad.

However batteries age with time, and it's approaching the 10 year mark, so if you really want to keep good data on the condition of the battery, then pick up the OBDII reader and app as noted previously. Otherwise, just keep an eye on the kWh used number upon full depletion for any significant changes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That would put it at around 16% degradation. Estimated degradation per GM is between 10-30% over the 8 year/100k warranty period. Therefore no, it doesn't mean it's bad.

However batteries age with time, and it's approaching the 10 year mark, so if you really want to keep good data on the condition of the battery, then pick up the OBDII reader and app as noted previously. Otherwise, just keep an eye on the kWh used number upon full depletion for any significant changes.
How sad. I love this car. Do they sell new batteries (for the future)? Or did they stop when they stopped making the Volt. Thank you all for all your assistance!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
How sad. I love this car. Do they sell new batteries (for the future)? Or did they stop when they stopped making the Volt. Thank you all for all your assistance!
No, they don't sell new batteries. Only used/refurbished ones are available, and the prices on those are cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I hope in the next year or two to start the process on rebuilding a whole pack from new cells pouches. Biggest issue will be a quality supplier of cells. 🤞

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Did you perform the test without A/C or fans running? We are interested in how much energy the battery can provide to propel the car.

If your Volt is running well but you are not getting the range you once got, I wouldn’t worry too much. You still have a good car. As long as the aging battery cells are still properly balancing, you will be able to drive the car for a long time. Your ICE generator will kick in sooner and you will burn gas to continue generating electricity to get you to your destination.

I look in the mirror and see that I don’t look like I did 8 years ago, but I’m still waking up each morning and getting out of bed, so I’m satisfied 8^)

Reactions: imanjunk1963

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Did you perform the test without A/C or fans running? We are interested in how much energy the battery can provide to propel the car.
It doesn't matter, as the total kWh used is what's being evaluated. Whether it's consumed by AC, fast highway driving, etc doesn't matter, as it won't change this number. You can sit in the car with just the AC on, and the kWh used number will increment.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
It doesn't matter, as the total kWh used is what's being evaluated. Whether it's consumed by AC, fast highway driving, etc doesn't matter, as it won't change this number. You can sit in the car with just the AC on, and the kWh used number will increment.
Of course. I had been thinking of efficiency when I wrote that, even though we are interested in capacity. My bad. My other comments still hold water.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts