GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until the 26th, I could not have been happier with my Volt, it's got approx 74,000 miles and I've had no issues for the 30,000 miles I've put on the car until it shut off on 12/26/19. There was an error message on the dash about the propulsion battery not being usable and within seconds the car shut off. The gas engine wouldn't run, so it was dead. I took it to Greico Chevrolet in Ft Lauderdale for service after their service dept said they have a top notch Volt tech. After SEVERAL DAYS, I had to go to the dealership. I was told the #3 battery pack had failed, good news it's covered under warrentee. they said they had another car in for the same problem and was told it should be fixed within a week and a half. It's now 3 weeks that they've had my car with no clue when I'll get it back. At this rate I've spent close to $500 in RENT A CAR FEES. If they'd been honest with me about how long the battery would take to obtain, I'd have bought a beater for the time being and not spent over $500 in rent a car fees! To add insult to injury, I called the dealership I've BEEN taking my car to and they told me that it took them 52 days to obtain that same battery pack.
Monday of this week I called corporate, got a ticket number and was told I'd get a call back with 48 hours. After no call back, Thursday I called back asking to speak to someone about this and got the same response and I did get a call back, saying a regional manager would contact me today. This morning he did call and after asking if I'd had any other problems with the car (other than fixing the axle clicking that was happening on and off throttle about a year ago, the car has been trouble free) his best idea was that they do a buyback and sell me a new car.... REALLY??? Not replace the battery????
I then called the dealer I'd been taking the car to and and an honest employee in the service dept told me the last (#3) battery pack they were able to obtain took 53 days to get delivered. Greico Chevrolet has not been close to that forthcoming, not returning numerous calls when I'm asking for a status update of any kind.
Since buying my Volt, I've been a huge fan of both GM for getting this new technology right (when the car is working) and building one of the best cars I've owned. With this kind of disregard for a customer, they've managing to again turn me against GM products after not owning one since the 1980's. The Volt had changed my mind about this corporation but with this kind of inconsiderate and incompetent service is changing my mind again, proving that GM does not deserve my or anyone's business with this kind of indifference to customers.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thanks for sharing your tale of woe... sorry you are having such bad luck. I too have a 2014... knock on wood, it has been trouble free and has about 54000 miles on it.

Here's the problem. The Volt is an orphan now. GM, by law, has to provide service and parts while the vehicle is under warranty, but apparently they don't have to be quick about it.

I am worried about the availability of parts and service on the Volt... I have to think as time passes, GM will care less and less and parts will be scarce.

I would send our Volt packing... but my wife will not part with it. If (when?) it leaves her walking... I think she will change her mind. And then I will be in the dog house, for not selling it. LOL. I've tried to get her into a 100% EV but she will not hear of it. She loves having the gas engine as a safety net and refuses to be range limited. I can't say I blame her.

The Volt is a technological masterpiece. GM did a fantastic job on it. Too bad it never caught on.

I'm sure Chevrolet will fix your Volt... in good time.

·
Administrator
21,123 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Volt
89 Posts
I think you are being a bit unfair to GM. I might be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure they will reimburse you for the rental since it's a warranty issue. Further, they are offering to buy your car back. What more do you expect from them? An even trade for a new 2019 Volt?

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 2014 Volt has about 25,000 miles. Recently it charges to only 26 miles. I took it to the dealer to see if it needs a new battery. The dealer tech said it charges to specification. So, I'm to live with this until ?? Any body know how low it should go before replacement??

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
My 2014 Volt has about 25,000 miles. Recently it charges to only 26 miles. I took it to the dealer to see if it needs a new battery. The dealer tech said it charges to specification. So, I'm to live with this until ?? Any body know how low it should go before replacement??
Right now, mine charges to 32 in the Winter and was 45 in the Summer. Last Winter, it charged to 30. It all depends on driving habits, HVAC settings, etc..

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's winter. Range is lower. Cells are colder, so sag a bit more on the voltage side, meaning less power delivered per amp-hour of capacity used. Lubricants are stiffer in the drivetrain, so more energy used until they warm up. You use heat, which saps range, and tires are stiff in the cold.

What's the kWh used indicate on your energy display after fully draining the battery? As long as it's up where it's supposed to be and the car isn't acting weird (showing propulsion power reduced messages and the like), don't worry about it, it's probably fine.

And even if you do eventually have reduced range on the battery, it doesn't meaningfully impact the usefulness of the car, because you've got the gas engine.

·
Administrator
21,123 Posts
So, I'm to live with this until ??
...until Spring/Summer when the temperatures and driving conditions improve.

It's a general rule that all cars are less efficient in cold and snow and ice (even rain), or when moving at 75 mph vs 40 mph. Or with AC/heat on vs. off. Or when driven like a bat out of hell. The drop in efficiency in winter will be more noticeable for an EV, plus EV's generally have a big display estimating your range on a "full tank" based on your recent drives. Gas cars don't generally have a range estimate display like that, but if they did, the range would be lower in the winter. The lower gas range would not mean the gas engine needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
26 is about what I see in Wisconsin through the whole winter. I'll be back to 40 in July.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Gas cars don't generally have a range estimate display like that, but if they did, the range would be lower in the winter. The lower gas range would not mean the gas engine needs to be replaced.
Plus, since a gas car is only getting about 30% efficiency anyway, so even a calamatous 40% drop in efficiency due to "winter factors" translates into the difference between 33 MPG average and 28 MPG average. The fuel burned heating up the engine block only changes a little bit summer to winter, fuel burned keeping the engine turning over at stoplights is about the same, etc.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Plus, since a gas car is only getting about 30% efficiency anyway, so even a calamatous 40% drop in efficiency due to "winter factors" translates into the difference between 33 MPG average and 28 MPG average. The fuel burned heating up the engine block only changes a little bit summer to winter, fuel burned keeping the engine turning over at stoplights is about the same, etc.
They are closer to 33+% efficient and while some one had posted a link to an article stating 4 engines that reached 40% that's 4 engines out of what, 260 engines (I made that number up as a representative number) plus that's at peak (new) efficiency, not that anything in this vicinity would change you numbers a great deal.

We all have our "dealer stories", even with a competent tech (which mine seemed to be) the people at the front end only know what their computer screens tell them regardless how good they may be at the scope of their jobs.

Range on a screen is a made up number and mine goes from 45 km. to 70 Km. (I'll let you do the conversion) with the 10 Km. hilly, slightly up hill 36 mph trip into town seemingly to take 1 Km off the range and going 70 Km (at 90 kph) before engine turn on despite initially often showing 65 km. in summer.

Currently at 10.3 Kwh. if you are around that you are good to go.

·
4,881 Posts
Your dealer should be paying your rental car costs.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
What’s the problem exactly? Why would it need a new battery? It’s winter. And range doesn’t matter, kWhs do...

·
Registered
255 Posts
As others have indicated, the range varies by driving habits, season, etc.

Assuming you charge using 240V, try preconditioning the car (run the A/C / heat) TWICE before departing in the morning. Each time, a precondition cycle runs the heat for 10 minutes. When powered from 240V, a little power will be taken from the battery. When powered from 120V, much more power will be taken from the battery.

During the first precondition cycle, the battery and cabin are somewhat prewarmed - start this 30-60 minutes before departure. A second precondition cycle thoroughly warms up the cabin - start this about 15 minutes before departure. These times allow some charge time for the battery to be topped off after the precondition cycle.

You should get more range as the car was well warmed while powered from 240V, and you'll have a nearly fully charged battery before you start your drive.

This doesn't work as well when powered from 120V (the heater draws much more power than can be drawn from 120V), but it helps.

There's no help when returning home at the end of the day if the car isn't plugged in - the car's just going to get cold, and the only available power source is the battery. Alternatively, when you start the car to leave, run the engine for a few minutes just to warm up things - burn about 0.1 gal, about 5 minutes. (Use CHARGE HOLD mode to start the engine).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
An update, after a week of frustration, first corporate got back to me, then the manager of the dealership. They covered the rental and gave me a loaner until the car was finished. Now other than the car getting slightly less electric range than before it's good to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
An update to my tale of woe. The dealer did pick up the rental car costs. I got the car back and at first it seemed just like it was before the battery failure. Except the number of miles I can go on electric is down, and the amount of kWh before it switched to the ICE went from 10.1kWh to 8.7kWh.. I'm not a real happy Volt owner with that... If the mileage went down and kWh were the same I'd be good as that would be on my driving but having less battery power available is different.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
An update to my tale of woe. The dealer did pick up the rental car costs. I got the car back and at first it seemed just like it was before the battery failure. Except the number of miles I can go on electric is down, and the amount of kWh before it switched to the ICE went from 10.1kWh to 8.7kWh.. I'm not a real happy Volt owner with that... If the mileage went down and kWh were the same I'd be good as that would be on my driving but having less battery power available is different.
Apparently it needs a number full to empty drives to reset the computer. It's not as smart as we think. I still have a suspicion that when in the endthere is some sacrifice to be made.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What work was done? Was the battery balancing update made to your Volt during this dealer visit? This could account for some of what you’re seeing. I agree with Fl Spyder - give it a few more full to empty cycles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would take it to another chevy dealer and if not satisfied with their response.... go to the next dealer and so on.... thats crazy. I'm on my 2nd Volt (gen 1) The first was a lease and I put about 26k on the car. Then I bought a 2014... now has 32k miles and no problems ( charges to 26 miles only! thats crazy! Mine charges to 39, 40 or 41 miles.... Good luck ! hopefully someone can figure it out!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts