GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2014 gave me the "Service High Voltage Charging System" message and I took it to the dealer. They handled the software recall issues and just got this as a reply
Hi [my name here] so your vehicle is done, we reprogrammed the computer which took care of your problem. There are some services that are past due that should be taken care of. Transmission fluid exchange with filter $370.00, hybrid battery system coolant exchange $295.00, engine coolant exchange $200.00, brake fluid exchange $185.00, clean throttle body and service fuel injectors $285.00. engine air and cabin air filters $205.00. That pretty much will bring you up to date with your services. If you have not performed these services i would suggest you do them before your trip.
Was hoping for some input. I just crossed 100k miles and figured doing the transmission fluid exchange was gonna be a good idea, but I know nothing about the other ones. I know I can probably do the others at another mechanic for much cheaper, but was wondering if doing the Transmission Fluid and hybrid battery coolant exchange was a good idea since those seem to be hybrid batter dependent? Thank you for any advice!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I'd do transmission, battery, engine coolant at those prices. I'm less enthused about the other fluid work and you can definitely laugh at the air filters. Even $50 for the air filter change parts and labor would leave PLENTY of profit in.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 2015 is at 140k and recently experienced the same thing. I took it in to have the AC evaporator changed and after getting the car back I was having a check engine light on after a full charge every time. The code was a generic one and I would clear it and all was good. One time I cleared it before turning the car on and it went crazy coming up with Service High Voltage Charging System. I took it in and there was no good code to explain why this was tripped. They recommended updating the software as I never did it in the past. I was very skeptical but let them do it anyway. They also mention a possible issue with a ground I think on the battery pack under the car. They did the software upgrade and I am unsure if they did anything with the ground however all has been perfect now for a few weeks.

·
Registered
13,664 Posts
I got nearly the same list as you (and similar costs). Don’t do the injection cleaning. They basically pour a bottle of fuel injection cleaner in. You can buy an awful lot of bottles for $285. I highly doubt that they remove your fuel injectors and throttle body and clean them by hand. Maybe I’m wrong...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Back in March of 2018, I had the following done to my 2011 Volt with 117,000 miles on it:
oil change, trans fluid change, 3 coolants changed (battery, engine, inverter) $568 at a local Chevy Dealer in the Phoenix area.
Your quote for the air and cabin filters make me laugh, do NOT let them do that for that amount of money.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Then there's the fact that the 2014 didn't come from the factory with a cabin filter. So unless the dealer or owner put one in, there isn't one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just having them do the transmission but they reduced the price. The rest I shopped around for and found other dealers offering much cheaper prices. And yeah, even me who knows nothing about cars besides doing my own oil changes, knows that the quote for the air filters was ridiculous. Thank you everyone!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Fluid changes are worth doing at that mileage/age. The throttle body, injector, and filter services are a ripoff. The first two are completely unnecessary. Filter changes may be needed, but are worth about $30 each installed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So my 2014 gave me the "Service High Voltage Charging System" message and I took it to the dealer. They handled the software recall issues and just got this as a reply

Was hoping for some input. I just crossed 100k miles and figured doing the transmission fluid exchange was gonna be a good idea, but I know nothing about the other ones. I know I can probably do the others at another mechanic for much cheaper, but was wondering if doing the Transmission Fluid and hybrid battery coolant exchange was a good idea since those seem to be hybrid batter dependent? Thank you for any advice!
The problem with the owners of car dealerships is that no matter how big their boat is they always want a bigger - more $$$ - one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts