GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2014 volt makes the same exact noise as the video above (front crank shaft seal gone bad) and the noise also stops when you pull the dip stick out.... Only problem is that the video is for a Chevy Cruz. From the looks of it the Chevy volt has a similar engine... so this should help me enough to be able to accomplish the seal change..
i just finished the crankshaft seal replacement on the Chevy volt (2014). The video above helped a lot, but one of the hardest parts was getting the motor bracket off.. one of the three Bolts comes off easy..for the most forward bolt, you have to raise the engine (I was supporting it and lifting it with my 3 ton jack placed under the oil pan).. enough so that you have the Clearance to remove the bolt...

for the bottom bolt, you have to lower the engine.. and also, disconnect and pull to the side, the 3 coolant hard lines that are in the way in the wheel well, then you will be able to barley clear the bolt removal...

other than that, I just got the crankshaft pulley free by prying it off..(after removing the bolt with an E18 socket and a breaker bar), but I got the pulley off with the belt still on it..

Then you move it to the side and replace the seal and put everything back...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just had this same issue with a strange squeal at engine start/stop and found that the PCV diaphragm was ruptured. When I pulled the dipstick, the squeal noise at shutdown went away, but also caused the engine to ingest a bunch of oil and make huge clouds of smoke out the exhaust. I replaced the valve cover with integrated PCV valve and that seems to have corrected the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For me I put belt spray on the belt and it went away but I’m sure the belt may be going out it’s not squeaking anymore but try belt spray at autozone has it I couldn’t fine it at other parts store

·
Registered
6 Posts
For me I put belt spray on the belt and it went away but I’m sure the belt may be going out it’s not squeaking anymore but try belt spray at autozone has it I couldn’t fine it at other parts store
I tried the same thing but it didnt work for me. I ordered a new belt and a new water pump for my car. The dealer wants to charge me 900 dollars to install it. I will try the spray again later. Hopefully that will work. If not ill just have to try and replace the belt. Good luck. and thanks for replying!

·
Registered
3 Posts
You should try just replacing the belt first because I’m pretty sure there’s nothing wrong with the water pump because you’re car would let you know if it was overheating or something like that

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should try just replacing the belt first because I’m pretty sure there’s nothing wrong with the water pump because you’re car would let you know if it was overheating or something like that
I ordered the belt and a new water pump since my car wasnt heating when it was running on battery mode. I will try to just replace the belt first. thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had this same issue with a strange squeal at engine start/stop and found that the PCV diaphragm was ruptured. When I pulled the dipstick, the squeal noise at shutdown went away, but also caused the engine to ingest a bunch of oil and make huge clouds of smoke out the exhaust. I replaced the valve cover with integrated PCV valve and that seems to have corrected the issue.
Hey pswired, I’m having the same problem with the smoke after pulling the dipstick. I replaced the PCV valve but the smoke is still there. How long did it you run the engine before all the smoke cleared?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i just finished the crankshaft seal replacement on the Chevy volt (2014). The video above helped a lot, but one of the hardest parts was getting the motor bracket off.. one of the three Bolts comes off easy..for the most forward bolt, you have to raise the engine (I was supporting it and lifting it with my 3 ton jack placed under the oil pan).. enough so that you have the Clearance to remove the bolt...

for the bottom bolt, you have to lower the engine.. and also, disconnect and pull to the side, the 3 coolant hard lines that are in the way in the wheel well, then you will be able to barley clear the bolt removal...

other than that, I just got the crankshaft pulley free by prying it off..(after removing the bolt with an E18 socket and a breaker bar), but I got the pulley off with the belt still on it..

Hey Jon,

how were you able to remove and install the pulley bolt without the crank turning?

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I replaced the manifold with the bad pcv. The whistle noise did not go away but it did get way quieter. So I guess now I have to replace the crankshaft seal. It seems a bit more complicated than the pcv valve though. So I might take it to a dealer.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts