GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am scheduling a service visit now for a sound that just popped up when I turn the steering wheel. It is a strange whoop (long drawn out as you steer) sound. Something is rubbing or whirring in some way. No sound when driving (not turning) or just turning slightly.

The Chevy dealer is scheduling me for next week it looks like. I just wanted to touch base here to see if I could get any insights up front for what I might be in for.

Car is under warranty but I don't want to be told this is normal.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I am scheduling a service visit now for a sound that just popped up when I turn the steering wheel. It is a strange whoop (long drawn out as you steer) sound. Something is rubbing or whirring in some way. No sound when driving (not turning) or just turning slightly.

The Chevy dealer is scheduling me for next week it looks like. I just wanted to touch base here to see if I could get any insights up front for what I might be in for.

Car is under warranty but I don't want to be told this is normal.
Ain't normal.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Some Gen 1's had an isolated steering problem (tightness on-center) that required replacement of the rack. There may be a TSB on this. A good dealer should be able to pinpoint your problem quickly.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have it, have had it. The dealer has fixed it...and then it returns. I keep bringing it back. It is NOT normal. It CAN be fixed. But I have yet to know if it can STAY fixed. Do I sound frustrated?

It's quite pronounced in parking lot maneuvers and seems to increase in the winter months.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that it is most pronounced in parking lot maneuvers. Hope yours, and mine, get fixed permanently.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This issue was fixed under warranty at Miller Brothers Chevrolet in Ellicott City, MD. They told me it was the intermediate steering shaft seal that was rubbing and needed lubrication.

The also called it the "steer column / dash inner seal". Notes said it was dry and needed lubrication. They told me that it would likely never need to be lubed again. The sound did go away when steering the car in parking lot type maneuvers.

Case closed for now...

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Thanks for the update. I'm taking it in a couple weeks and will mention what your dealer did. Hope the fix lasts!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:.. The rubbing noise at low speed maneuvering has come back. Something in the steering column is making a rubbing noise. The dealer lubricated some things a couple of weeks ago but this is apparently NOT a solution to the problem. I have made another appointment to have this looked at.

I stood outside the car while my wife made some turns and she could hear it on the inside (behind the dash) but I could not hear it on the outside.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update 9/18. Took it to the dealer again and they ordered a new part. As I was going away on a trip, I have deferred the installation for now. Will get to this soon.

Notes from the shop order:

Inspected and order lower steering shaft seal boot
SL-N-SEAL (06758-BCK) 1343 quantity 1

I will update after it is installed and tested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts