GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why the low fuel alert message comes up when I have 26 miles left showing??

·
Registered
227 Posts
From the owners manual:
When the indicator nears empty, the
low fuel light comes on. There still is
a little fuel left, but the vehicle
should be refueled soon.

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
From the owners manual:
When the indicator nears empty, the
low fuel light comes on. There still is
a little fuel left, but the vehicle
should be refueled soon.
"What's an owners manual?", some ask. lol

I don't like the way the low fuel warning works. Prefer a traditional E to F user experience.

Reactions: jbakerjonathan

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
My experience with my 2017 Volt is that when the remaining fuel in the fuel tank is at or less than ~1 gallon the Low Fuel warning light will appear. Preconditioning of the Volt is not be able to be initiated when the fuel level is low. When there is ~0.5 gallon or less of fuel remaining the estimated range changes from a number to just reading Low.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, does anyone know if I still have whatever miles left before the warning comes on? Can I even depend on the balance of miles remaining? I've never tested it to know.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
So, does anyone know if I still have whatever miles left before the warning comes on? Can I even depend on the balance of miles remaining? I've never tested it to know.
It will depend on how you drive. But that is why it will change from a mileage projection to just LOW.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just two days ago my 2018 went into Fuel Maintenance mode. I bought it last October and the dealer filled the gas tank. I barely used any gas, so about July I started using hold mode just to use some gas. Well I was down to about 1/2 tank when FMM initiated the other day. My plan was to run it empty then just add 3 gallons. The mileage estimate went from about 32 miles to LOW fuel warning. I must have driven it just over 40 miles, still on gas. I decided I didn't want to run it dry so I did put some gas in before that happened. So, long answer to your question, once the display goes to LOW, I would expect you can go another 30+ miles before it runs out completely.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just two days ago my 2018 went into Fuel Maintenance mode. I bought it last October and the dealer filled the gas tank. I barely used any gas, so about July I started using hold mode just to use some gas. Well I was down to about 1/2 tank when FMM initiated the other day. My plan was to run it empty then just add 3 gallons. The mileage estimate went from about 32 miles to LOW fuel warning. I must have driven it just over 40 miles, still on gas. I decided I didn't want to run it dry so I did put some gas in before that happened. So, long answer to your question, once the display goes to LOW, I would expect you can go another 30+ miles before it runs out completely.
Makes sense. Mine showed 26 miles right before it went into FMM. I think it's a mistake for GM to leave it fixed @ FMM and not continue to show the mileage decreasing. All is needed are a couple initial warnings and then a final one. I guess I can use the battery mileage display as my guide then.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Just before my 2017 Volt displayed Low instead of a number for estimated driving range (on gas) my Volt displayed 20 miles, i.e. there was approximately one half gallon of fuel remaining in the fuel tank. At the time I was intentionally using up the old fuel in the fuel tank. As I recall the Volt displayed a message that the engine was unavailable and ran in reduced propulsion mode (the battery pack was almost fully charged) starting after I drove an additional ~18 miles. The Low driving range message will appear with approximately 20 miles of range remaining.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think you've lost me.....FMM has nothing to do with the remaining mileage estimate. Every car I have owned in the last 20 years will go to LOW fuel warning before the countdown reaches zero.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Poor feature with that much variance in approx. mileage left not being able to ascertain mileage remaining as you would on an old analog gauge! What if you're stranded somewhere miles away from a gas station?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The start of day, full charge ev and gas range estimates are fuel-specific, based on the computer’s calculation of the historical fuel mileage for that fuel. If you frequently use the ICE to extend your range, the gas range estimate is going to be based on "warm engine" gas mileage. If you rarely use gas except for the EMMs and those last couple of miles home when you finally run out of battery, the gas range estimate will be based on "cold engine" mileage.

My understanding is that the Gen 1 Volt’s gas range estimate (and likely also the ELR’s) changes from a number to the "Low Fuel" message when the volume of gas in the tank drops to approximately 1.1-1.5 gallons. Note that when you reach the "Low Fuel" level, the final gas range estimate number may be wrong if you rarely use gas. The range estimate number is likely a "cold running engine" mileage estimate. If you now drive far enough to warm up the engine and use up the gas, your distance may exceed that final gas range estimate.

For example, during an FMM in my 2012 Volt, my gas range estimate switched from "26 miles" to the "Low Fuel" reading. I then drove 60 miles further before running out of gas.

Records show I started the FMM with 1.8 gallons in my tank, and averaged 45.6 MPGcs on that amount (suggesting the low fuel msg came on with ~1.2-1.3 gal in the tank). The 26 mile gas range estimate appears to have been calculated using a gas mileage estimate of ~20 MPGcs, clearly based more on the very limited gas driving I had done in the months prior to the FMM.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Poor feature with that much variance in approx. mileage left not being able to ascertain mileage remaining as you would on an old analog gauge! What if you're stranded somewhere miles away from a gas station?
If you use Hold Mode you can save any remaining battery charge in reserve so you won't be stranded after you use up any remaining fuel in the fuel tank. The only reason for emptying the Volt's fuel tank of any remaining fuel is when intentionally using up any remaining old fuel during a Fuel Management Mode event prior to filling the fuel tank with fresh fuel. Once the all of the fuel (gas) has been used the Volt will operate in reduced propulsion mode. You can drive in reduced propulsion mode as long as there is sufficient battery charge available, hopefully so you can drive until you find someplace to buy some gas. The Volt Owner's Manual states that if you don't regularly use gas you should keep 3 gallons of fuel in the fuel tank, about a third of a tank full of fuel. That amount of fuel would enable you to drive for more than 100 miles.

Reactions: hparker

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you use Hold Mode you can save any remaining battery charge in reserve so you won't be stranded after you use up any remaining fuel in the fuel tank. The only reason for emptying the Volt's fuel tank of any remaining fuel is when intentionally using up any remaining old fuel during a Fuel Management Mode event prior to filling the fuel tank with fresh fuel. Once the all of the fuel (gas) has been used the Volt will operate in reduced propulsion mode. You can drive in reduced propulsion mode as long as there is sufficient battery charge available, hopefully so you can drive until you find someplace to buy some gas. The Volt Owner's Manual states that if you don't regularly use gas you should keep 3 gallons of fuel in the fuel tank, about a third of a tank full of fuel. That amount of fuel would enable you to drive for more than 100 miles.
Sorry, have never used Hold Mode. Where do I find that? I Have a 2014 ELR.

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I have never driven an ELR, I assume that Hold Mode is available in the 2014 ELR. Hold Mode was added to the Volt starting in the in 2013 model year. The Volt's driving modes are Normal, Sport, Mountain and Hold.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The window sticker rating for the 2014 ELR shows 37 miles per full charge, and 33 mpg. At that rated gas mileage, a gas range estimate of 26 miles would indicate 26/33 = ~0.8 gallons left in the tank... How much gas is actually left in the tank (and the range you can get using it) depends on how close the gas mileage you’ve recently achieved comes to that 33 mpg rating.

If you’ve never used Hold Mode, then it’s likely you’ve done your driving in Tour Mode (Volt drivers think of this as Normal Mode), and haven’t used the other driver selected operating modes, Sport Mode or Mountain Mode. These are described in the Driving and Operating chapter in the 2014 ELR owner manual. The 2014 ELR Driver Mode Control switch is located on the center console near the base of the shift lever.

What I find unusual is that in the In Brief section of my 2014 ELR pdf, the illustration identifies #22 as the shift lever, and #21 is identified as either one or two buttons at the base of the shift lever. One is the button for TCS and StabiliTrak (Traction Control/ Electronic Stability Control). The second is described in the manual as (p. 1-4):

"MODE Button. See Driver Mode Control on page 9-35 (If Equipped)."

Hold Mode was introduced in the Volt in the 2013 model year. Is it possible your 2014 ELR is NOT equipped with a Mode button, i.e., it has no Hold Mode, Sport Mode, or Mountain Mode?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts