GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As our Volts get older, and some run into battery troubles, I just wanted to post a little positivity.

Here’s a recent trip with my 2014, where I was able to use up the whole battery,with just over a mile on gas. Twenty of those 47 miles were at highway speeds of 65mph, the rest on various roads at 30 to 45mph.
Output device Gadget Communication Device Telephony Portable communications device

Here is a recent capture of cell data with an empty battery:

Line Font Technology Pattern Grass

Vehicle registration plate Grille Vehicle White Automotive tire

Sure, there looks to be some weakness in section 3, but barely - I’m not worried.

It’s been plugged in when not used its whole life.

My point is not all old Volts are 2 steps from death’s door.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My section 3 is a tad weak too, but still regularly get 9.9kWh. Which surprises me as I run the battery to near completion 5 days a week, in 37 months of ownership I raised the lifetime from 72 to 250+mpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My section 3 is a tad weak too, but still regularly get 9.9kWh. Which surprises me as I run the battery to near completion 5 days a week, in 37 months of ownership I raised the lifetime from 72 to 250+mpg
Actually, I think regularly emptying the battery is better for it, from what I have researched - at least from a range/capacity viewpoint.

·
Registered
75 Posts
marigx,
What tires are you running with these days? Certainly you're not still on OEM tires on a 2014. I have Goodyear FuelMax on my 2014 but the heavier, wider version rather than the the OEM tires and my range is down at least 8 miles on the GOM (I get about 45 miles in the city and 35 on the highway in optimal weather, I've put 25k on these tires so they are well broken in).

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
478 Posts
My point is not all old Volts are 2 steps from death’s door.
As our Volts get older, and some run into battery troubles, I just wanted to post a little positivity.
I'm with you, my 2011 did 40 miles today and still had 6 miles left in the electron tank when I got home. Battery cell balance looks good as well...

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
710 Posts
marigx,
What tires are you running with these days? Certainly you're not still on OEM tires on a 2014. I have Goodyear FuelMax on my 2014 but the heavier, wider version rather than the the OEM tires and my range is down at least 8 miles on the GOM (I get about 45 miles in the city and 35 on the highway in optimal weather, I've put 25k on these tires so they are well broken in).
The new Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max are wider, heavier, and don’t give as much range as the OEM tire. I lost 2-3 miles going from Bridgestone Ecopia EP422+ to these and wish I could get the OE tire. I might try lowering with a lighter “sport” wheel, but would hate to mod the car.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I’m running Michelin Primacy MXV4s. These subtract 4-5 miles from range but the wear is excellent and the handling much improved over the OEM Goodyear. 2011 Volt with 185,500 miles on the odometer. My typical warm weather range is 27-31

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Always felt Goodyears (LRR or not) were twitchy in the snow. The Volt (non-OE) on GY Assurance Fuel Max tires is literally easy to get sideways in the snow, which is surprising for a FWD. I can go sideways in it easier than many other RWD cars which is surprising…

They weren’t kidding when they said Low Rolling Resistance!

·
Administrator
22,807 Posts
Always felt Goodyears (LRR or not) were twitchy in the snow.
I have founf "all weather" tires are not. I have a set of cold weather (snow) tires for both my Volt and Bolt. Huge, positive difference in handling. I prefer driving a tank than a boat.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I have founf "all weather" tires are not. I have a set of cold weather (snow) tires for both my Volt and Bolt. Huge, positive difference in handling. I prefer driving a tank than a boat.
Totally agree. The only Goodyears that weren’t twitchy were their UltraGrip snow tires, but I only had one winter on them (Cruze) before selling the car. That and Blizzaks, Michelin Pilot Alpin, Firestone Winterforce, etc. General Altimax Arctic (the originals) weren’t bad too. I’ve stopped buying extra wheels for cars due to lack of storage, but may consider a set of snow tires now that I go to Minnesota for work.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
marigx,
Sounds like you put the heavier of the two versions of the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires on your Volt (the OEM version, no longer available, weighed 20 pounds). Four years ago when I put new tires on my 2012 Volt, two versions of the Fuel Max were available, one at 22 pounds, the other with a wider, deeper tread at 25 pounds (don’t know if two options are still available). I chose the 22 pound version, and after they were broken in, I had no noticeable reduction in range. Check the middle three digits of your tire’s stock number. The 22 pound tire’s number should be 548, the 25 pound tires’s number should be 735 (the 20 pound 340 is no longer available).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sounds like you put the heavier of the two versions of the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires on your Volt (the OEM version, no longer available, weighed 20 pounds). Four years ago when I put new tires on my 2012 Volt, two versions of the Fuel Max were available, one at 22 pounds, the other with a wider, deeper tread at 25 pounds (don’t know if two options are still available). I chose the 22 pound version, and after they were broken in, I had no noticeable reduction in range.
wordptom,
Yes, all true. There were originally 3 FuelMax tires produced: the 20 lb. OEM tires on Gen1 Volts, a 22 lb. version that had thicker (deeper) tread, and the 25 lb. version that's wider and thicker. At one point, I had 2 2014 Volts and when I got my first set of replacement tires the OEM ones were already discontinued and I put on the 22 lb. tires. I also concur that there was no loss of range with those 22 lb. tires. I traded in that car for my Bolt. Two years ago the 2014 Volt that I still have needed tires and the 22 lb. FuelMax were no longer available either so I went with the only remaining FuelMax Assurance available which were the 25 lb. tires that are giving me the disappointing range numbers I mentioned earlier. That's what had me wondering what tires the OP is using to get the nice range they reported.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I have to post a contrary opinion, but getting stuck in torrential rain near Chicago today it is NOT worth a few extra miles or mpg for a significant decrease in safety. I will be going with dedicated snow tires and better all-seasons for the summer months on my Volt next time. I saw 3 accidents today, really bad, all presumably due to hydroplaning in the rain. And my very own Volt got spun around a few times when I nearly hit a STOPPED Jeep in the middle of the highway, spun out in the fog, with no hazard lights on (last year). Good thing I was going 25 vs the 45 most people would do in inclement weather. Swerved and spun the Volt and still managed to steer it back straight once my front faced forward. Tires are NO JOKE and saving a few bucks or trying to get a few better miles/mpg is not worth it in the long run!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
marigx,
I replaced the oringinal Goodyear Fuel Max tires with Goodyear Fuel Max several years ago.

I just found the receipt - stock number was GDYR-738735571, so according to what wordptom posted, these are the 25 pound tires.

I run them at 42 psi. Max psi on the sidewall is 51.

BTW is that stock number on the tire itself?

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I replaced the oringinal Goodyear Fuel Max tires with Goodyear Fuel Max several years ago.

I just found the receipt - stock number was GDYR-738735571, so according to what wordptom posted, these are the 25 pound tires.

BTW is that stock number on the tire itself?
I don’t think Goodyear puts the stock numbers on the tire itself. I took pictures of the original OEM tires on my 2012 Volt to remind myself of the size numbers, and don’t seen any stock number there... nor on the current Fuel Max tires I bought in 2018.

I must admit it was not easy to find information on this Goodyear tire when I was looking back in 2018. Their website listed the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max Tire in three versions: Part # 738548571. Part # 738735571, and Part # 738340571. Note that all three differ only in the middle three numbers of the part number (i.e., 738xxx571).

Part #738 340 571 is the OEM version used on my 2012 Volt, no longer manufactured, but the 738 548 573 and the 738 873 571 versions were both available. All versions have mostly identical specifications, except for weight and tread depth. From what I learned online, it appeared the original version of the tire weighed 20 pounds, and of the two current versions, one weighs 22 pounds and the other 25 pounds. The two may or may not differ in tread depth. One web source indicated a difference in tread depth between the two new versions (one was the same as the original version), and another web source listed they both had the same depth.

Goodyear has a tire store in my Portland area, and my Goodyear dealer provided me with specs showing the version with 735 in the part number with a 7.0000 tread depth, and the version with 548 in the part number with a 9.000 tread depth (but when I visited the Goodyear website, they listed both at 9 for a tread depth in 32nds). Those Goodyear-provided specs did not include tire weight.

Further research at the Discount Tire Direct website muddied tread stats by listing tread depth at 9 for the 735 part number (as well as the original 340) version and 10 for the 548 version. This website, fortunately, also included the tire weight category, listing the 548 version at 22 pounds, the 735 version at 25 pounds, and the original equipment 340 version at 20 pounds.

Both current versions were available in the supply chain, and I chose to have four tires of the lighter version, 215/55R17, part number 738548571, put on my 2012 Volt. My mileage took a small hit at first (I run mine at 44 psi), but the tires were installed at the end of summer season when things were going down anyway, and by the middle of next summer, the range seemed to be back where it normally was. My start of day GOM readings at the moment are 41-43 ev miles... but then, my daily drive as a retired person is usually less than 15 miles, so my range estimates are based on short drives (although the rare beyond battery range drive may get me ~38 electric miles on ~9.4 kWh Used). I’m content with that for my 10+ year old Gen 1 Volt...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well, I have true All Weather tires in my Volt (Nokian G2s) and I have no complaints regarding performance in literally all kinds of weather that here in SouthWestern Ontario we're accustomed to. From snow and slush to 30 mm plus rainy days to 35 C plus, dry summers.

I don't miss the hassle of having to change tires twice a year.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the reply marigx. These are the same tires I'm using (I checked my stock number and it is the same). I only run mine at 40 psi, though, so that may account for a small reduction in my range. Apart from that, as they say, YMMV. Good for you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts