GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last November my lease ended on my 2012 Volt. I replaced my 2012 Volt with a 2014 Volt. I have discovered a very annoying software behavior that I consider to be a BUG in the 2014 model.

As we know the Volt has a very convenient automatic lock feature that locks the doors 15 seconds after exiting the vehicle. That's a nice convenience I use every day.

However I have discovered on my 2014 Volt during that 15 second timer it's impossible to open the rear hatch. The automatic lock cycle has to be competed before the hatch can be opened.

On my previous 2012 Volt you CAN open the rear hatch at any time. (Even during the 15 second delay.) Why can't the 2014 let me open my darn hatch when I want to? (Like the 2012 DID???)

Why do I care? Because in Los Angeles you now have to use your own bags at the grocery store or pay 10 cents per bag. So we must retrieve our grocery bags from the rear hatch each time we go into a store. This 2014 Volt refuses to let me open the rear hatch until the doors lock. So every time I go to a store I get to contemplate the same question of wondering why my own car will not let me open the hatch when I need to. Very annoying. (Every day.)

This 15 second delay is particularly annoying when it forces you to stand out in the rain for an extra 15 seconds before it will let me open the hatch.

Just asking if anyone else has noticed this same issue? Also wondering if GM has a software update to fix this BUG.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Can't say I've noticed this on my 2014. I'll open the hatch sometimes before, and sometimes after the auto-lock.
I have noticed that sometimes I have to push the button twice though.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am not talking about the other annoying issue that All Volts have where you have to press the button more than once. That's normal. But I can press my button 15 times! (once for each second it makes me wait...) Until the main doors lock it will refuse to let me in.

I am starting to think it has something to do with the alarm system arming delay?

·
Registered
918 Posts
You have no way of leaving your folded reusable grocery bag in the front seat or the rear seat area? Seriously? Talk about first world problems. SMH.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Have you tried locking the driver door as you exit the car? Maybe that would stop the countdown alltogether and give you access to the trunk?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
This is definitely not the case for my 2013.
First of all it's roughly 5 seconds to the delayed lock, but it doesn't disable the rear hatch operation during the delay.
After all doors are locked there's a one second delay (that is you need to hold the latch button for a second) to open the hatch.

Perhaps you're experiencing a defect.

·
4,852 Posts
This is definitely not the case for my 2013.
First of all it's roughly 5 seconds to the delayed lock, but it doesn't disable the rear hatch operation during the delay.
After all doors are locked there's a one second delay (that is you need to hold the latch button for a second) to open the hatch.

Perhaps you're experiencing a defect.
Same here on my 2013. To the OP, have you tried holding the button for a little bit longer when you try to open it?

As an aside, I started using reusable grocery bags a few years back in NY state, initially because I thought the plastic was a huge waste. Now I use them because they're extremely convenient! What may take 8 plastic bags can easily fit in 1 reusable bag. They're so much less cumbersome to use than plastic.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Why do I care? Because in Los Angeles you now have to use your own bags at the grocery store or pay 10 cents per bag.
So the trash can liner makers can sell more bags. I always use grocery bags for that as we don't have that problem here yet. We do however most often use our green bags for groceries when can liners or paper bags aren't needed.

How about fixing the BUG instead?
Why do I care? Because it's a stupid bug.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually the law was intended to stop the plastic grocery bags. (The were banned altogether here.) You can still get paper bags but you have to pay .10 cents per bag.

I don't mind using a reusable bag... That's not the issue.

The issue is that my darn car will not let me open the hatch when I need too. And that is a BUG.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Last November my lease ended on my 2012 Volt. I replaced my 2012 Volt with a 2014 Volt. I have discovered a very annoying software behavior that I consider to be a BUG in the 2014 model.

As we know the Volt has a very convenient automatic lock feature that locks the doors 15 seconds after exiting the vehicle. That's a nice convenience I use every day.

However I have discovered on my 2014 Volt during that 15 second timer it's impossible to open the rear hatch. The automatic lock cycle has to be competed before the hatch can be opened.
I don't have this issue but I lock the doors from the door pull or the fob when I exit the Volt.

Perhaps turn off auto-lock and let the the Volt sense the fob when you approach the vehicle?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh there are work arounds... Like shutting off the passive locking. Operating the locks manually...

But as I said... My 2012 Volt worked perfectly WITH the passive locks.

This is a BUG in my 2014. Plain and simple.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Take it to the dealer, that's not normal.

As said, it's only ~5 seconds.
Basically I can close the passenger door and walk around to the drivers and just get in before it locks. Pause for a second or two and it locks.

And I've never had an issue using any door button, including hatch, under any combination of these circumstances.
And you should be able to hit the button as soon as you get out to instantly lock, even if it was a requirement to wait for lock.
I find drivers door adds a ~2second delay if you just got out, but it should still lock. I.e. if you closer door and press handle button it won't lock until 2s later. But if you closed door and waited 2s it should lock instantly on press.

P.s. I thought this was going to be about a hatch delay issue I noticed between my friend's '13 and my '14.
His key was in range, but you have to hold the hatch button for ~2s or so to work (feels like an eternity) when the doors are locked.
While on mine, it is nearly instant, maybe 0.5s hold.

Obviously if you only have one volt, you'd never know there's a difference.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
To be clear, my car isn't set up to automatically lock--I press the central locking button after opening my door and it locks things up 5 seconds after the last door is closed.

·
Registered
425 Posts
have you talked to a dealer and/or your volt advisor? i have a my2014 and have never noticed the problem , but maybe i move more slowly and take me than 15 seconds to get the the hatch. Am away on vacation for 2 more weeks for can't do a timing check until then

·
Registered
198 Posts
....I have discovered on my 2014 Volt during that 15 second timer it's impossible to open the rear hatch. The automatic lock cycle has to be competed before the hatch can be opened.

....Just asking if anyone else has noticed this same issue? Also wondering if GM has a software update to fix this BUG.
My 2015 is configured as yours is, and automatically locks 15 seconds after the last door is closed. But it does NOT have the bug: I confirmed that I can open the hatch during the 15 second delay. Just a datapoint, FWIW.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Is your delay actually 15s? Mine is ~5.

15s is an eternity when you're sitting around counting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts