GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All..I'm looking for suggestions about a strange electrical issue. Sorry, bit long post with all the details.

For about a year my 2014 Volt has been acting weird with respect to the remote fob and the Drive Mode button.
At first, I thought it was just a low battery in the remote, but I've replaced it THREE times with new batteries and the same problem keeps happening, and I've tried both remote fobs.

Sporadically, it simply won't recognize the remote unless it's right smack up against either the door handle or the "On" button in the car.
It will be fine for a week (I normally keep the fob in my purse in the seat next to me), but then it suddenly won't recognize the remote. But then the next thing is it's fine for a few days or week, but then it happens again. Sometimes when I go to open the door, I hear a quiet "click" in the car and I see the dash light up, but it is just sort of a white backlight with no display information, but the door doesn't open until I put the fob right smack on the handle. Then inside it says "No remote detected" until I put it next to the "On button." I've had no problems driving it or charging it...it's just the recognition of the remote that is an issue. Like I said, after 3 battery changes and the same thing happening with both remotes, it's not the remote battery for sure.

A similar sporadic thing has been happening with the Drive Mode switch. In the urban traffic where I live I find driving in "Sport" mode makes it nicer to drive around traffic, and also on trips I'll use "mountain" mode to keep the battery in reserve for the hills around here.
So most of the time the mode button will be fine, but then it won't respond but will sort of work if I keep pushing it. Sometimes it simply won't work at all. Then I restart the car and it's totally fine. A few days later it will act up again.

I took the car to GM and paid $150 for diagnostics, and what do they tell me? "After market changes can affect the electrical system." So what is my alleged after market change? I put an iPhone charger in the console power outlet. That's it! Of course removing it makes utterly no difference, as I suspected it would. I find it insulting that this is the best that GM service can come up with.

The dealer says to bring it in when it's malfunctioning...the only problem is I NEVER know when this is going to happen. And even if I did get it there when it's happening, chances are it will be fine when it starts up again.

I'll be taking it back to have them look it over again. In the mean time, any ideas? It's a maddening sporadic couple of issues!

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Oh, thanks. That’s very helpful!
My 6 1/2 year old fob is on its second coin battery. The signal is intermittent. What I do is to hit the pocket where I keep the fob when the car doesn't recognize the fob. It will work thereafter for a while (days/weeks). I believe that the contacts are slightly corroded and my hitting the fob jostles the battery slightly causing electrical contact to reestablish itself. It works for me. Maybe that will work for you, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts