GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is only marking 1/4 fuel 65mi when i know i just filled my car Fully and i know one tank gives me well over 240mi which is what it originally showed when i first bought the car. I was told by my mechanic i may need to change out the fuel and i just wanted to know if anyone else had this problem and do i need to change the fuel pump then or could it be another issue

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I don't have a suggestion, but, it would possibly help if you were to tell us the year and mileage of your Volt.

·
Administrator
20,158 Posts
Change out the fuel? No, this is an instrument panel. sensor, connector, etc. issue. My guess would be the sensor.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just throwing this out there, but you said you just filled your car fully. Did you by chance "top it off" meaning did you keep adding fuel even after the pump shut off the first time? I have had cars that if you did that, the gauge would be inaccurate until some of that fuel would be used. Might not be your case, but Ive seen it happen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just throwing this out there, but you said you just filled your car fully. Did you by chance "top it off" meaning did you keep adding fuel even after the pump shut off the first time? I have had cars that if you did that, the gauge would be inaccurate until some of that fuel would be used. Might not be your case, but Ive seen it happen
No i haven't toped it off. Currently it has half a tank of gas and it marks that i only have one bar left (40) miles

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've seen this on motorcycles (and one car I owned 40 years ago), a defect in the in-tank mechanism that keeps tabs on fuel level. It usually is a float attached to an arm, similar to a toilet valve, that operates a potentiometer that signals the digital an approximate fuel level. Cheaply built, seemingly not designed to last the life of the vehicle, and in the case of motorcycles often doesn't last that long. I wouldn't be surprised to know that my Volt has a very similar mechanism in the fuel tank. More difficult to fix than a motorcycle, but still not that hard as long as you can easily get to the tank to remove the pump

1 - 8 of 8 Posts