GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 ELR. Sealant had expired, replaced with part # 23315606, $31.45, from my dealer.

I know there are horror stories about TPMs being fouled by the use of sealant. I can offer my experience: 2015 Nissan Leaf, Continental Mobility Kit, used it for a nail hole leak. Worked exactly as advertised...had to drive 1-2 miles to cause the sealant to "sling" around inside the tire, find the hole, and plug it up. Stayed plugged, no pressure loss, for about a week. Had the tire removed, cleaned (water hosed out...sealant is water based), ditto for TPM sensor. Tire lasted another 5k miles w/o issues. Zero issues with the tire pressure monitor.

I don't know the chemical composition of the GM sealant, hope it's the same. I'll only use it in an emergency anyway!

YMMV!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
it is a covered event but my two times using it there was no problem getting it cleaned off.
NTB also said it would not be an issue.

Tirerack had extra TPM's available if I needed one but said not much reason - when I first got an extra tire.

extra :

I leave the selection switch in the air only position and toggle it twice a year as some gunk can leak and make turning it harder to turn when you really need it.

·
1,027 Posts
I keep an old regular plug kit in the car. I trust that WAY more than any slime kit. It also doesn't really expire.
I can also plug multiple punctures, the slime kit can't.

If I can't plug it, I'm calling a tow truck anyways.

This one was in my sidewall of the ELR for 33,525 miles. Just replaced it, tire wore out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts