GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, 10 miles city and 30 on the highway and all I can get it to throw is a pending P2097 code, which I have had since purchase. I’m ready to call it fixed. Will report back after a Miami round trip if P219A or P0300 codes return.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

Now about that bad catalytic converter...

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
637 Posts
You likely need a new cat. Which means a new manifold, since the cat is integral. I dealt with the same code on my ELR, it was fixed with a new part. I had to wait from December to March, there was no stock in North America.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Is it odd for the cat to fail? Maybe related to its vertical flow configuration? Good to know I’m not the only one and it’s not some sensor or computer problem

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Is it odd for the cat to fail? Maybe related to its vertical flow configuration? Good to know I’m not the only one and it’s not some sensor or computer problem
When expecting a misfire the cat can be damaged very quickly.

Why are you wasting money driving the car through the parts store? Throwing 02s at it? Gotta watch the data stream and cause influence to it in order for a proper diag and repair.

Banks are sides of an engine. It doesn’t matter the cylinder count. Even a V4 or a V20. Each bank has at least a primary 02. Known as B1S1 or B2S1. Any inline engine will only have 1 bank, no matter the hole count.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
When expecting a misfire the cat can be damaged very quickly.

Why are you wasting money driving the car through the parts store? Throwing 02s at it? Gotta watch the data stream and cause influence to it in order for a proper diag and repair.

Banks are sides of an engine. It doesn’t matter the cylinder count. Even a V4 or a V20. Each bank has at least a primary 02. Known as B1S1 or B2S1. Any inline engine will only have 1 bank, no matter the hole count.
I’m always open to suggestions, turboguy. I have taken car to mechanic twice, and P219A/P0300 did not reappear for them. I consider it a point in their favor that they did not throw parts at it and send me a huge bill. As far as me throwing parts at it...O2 sensors made more sense than going straight to cat replacement, battery was way overdue at 6 years/140k, spark plugs were also potentially overdue, air filter/oil/oil filter were due, i broke the coil assembly, and finally with multiple people suggesting PCV and a not unreasonable cost, I gave that one a shot. The car is my DD and I don’t have an extra vehicle to take to work unless I leave the wife stranded. In summary, I did my best with my limited time resource.

Misreading bank as cylinder was obviously dumb on my part but this forum straightened me out pretty quick.

Again thanks to everyone who has helped.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
637 Posts
My cat failed very quickly. Under 200 miles of highway driving. It was covered on powertrain warranty, which you likely still have, so stop throwing parts at it, and go see the dealer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My cat failed very quickly. Under 200 miles of highway driving. It was covered on powertrain warranty, which you likely still have, so stop throwing parts at it, and go see the dealer.
At 140k miles I assumed I was way beyond the warranty period. I will have to look into it. Thanks.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
809 Posts
some of us like fixing it on our own, I get that
at the labour costs of today you can change a lot of stuff for the same money as taking it in
this way only goes sideway when you cant fix it
for me there is one more sensor I would change before throwing in the towel
16.00 map sensor
but what do I know. im just the janitor:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Update: after 600 highway miles I feel confident saying the P219A and P0300 problems are fixed. Sorry for throwing multiple parts at the same time but the fix was either selecting better spark plugs or replacing the PCV (integrated into the valve cover.)

If it isn’t part of the preventive maintenance schedule already, folks may want to consider replacing the valve cover. It’s not hard and not expensive.

·
Registered
16,17 volt
809 Posts
thanks for that closure
but more importantly we now have a record for a fix, that seems to be a hard one
everyone going forward, with that problem will thank you

21 - 30 of 30 Posts