GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

First time poster here. Looking for advice...

TLDR version- anyone had experience with P219A, P300, flashing CEL, significant engine misfires?

Details:
2014 ELR with 140k miles, daily driver, typically two 300 mile trips per week and the rest all electric
Bought used with 70kmi, had P2097 for bad cat, replaced both O2 sensors, still bad. Reset weekly, no drive issues

Recent started occasional hesitation at speed on ICE, decided to tune up- oil, oil and air filter, new plugs. Tore boot on ignition coil assy. Noted corrosion on one of spring connectors. Removed corrosion. Made one round trip no issues.

THEN- at speed on ICE, major misfire, P219A, P300, flashing CEL... stopped, remove/replace coil assy, problem goes away for 40 mi return home on ICE. Mechanics find nothing.

Week later, brand new coil, replace original battery, can’t get it to reproduce issue. Next day, start long drive in Hold to force ICE. Get misfires and flashing CEL within 5 miles. No codes stored. Again mechanics can’t reproduce.

Any ideas? I routinely run the gas tank empty. Clogged injector? Bad cat became worse cat? Need this fixed as driving my wife’s Lexus truly sucks after rolling in the ELR.

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you routinely run the gas tank dry then you could have a damaged fuel pump.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can you get a code reader to determine if the misfire is on one specific cylinder or on more than one cylinder.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for asking.

I never take the tank all the way dry. But still wondering if it could suck up debris.

The code is P219A which I understand to be cylinder 1.

P0300 also received which is multiple cylinder misfire.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also curious is that the voltage reading through the OBD2 is ~14 V when not running and drops to 11.8 V when ICE is on. That is what drove me to the battery replacement, which had no effect on voltage or misfires.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Also curious is that the voltage reading through the OBD2 is ~14 V when not running and drops to 11.8 V when ICE is on. That is what drove me to the battery replacement, which had no effect on voltage or misfires.
Was the 14V reading while plugged in?

·
Registered
11 Posts
P219A is not a cylinder 1 misfire. It is Bank 1. The P219A is post trim limit fuel concern. This is a precursor usually before you see a fuel trim lean code. You can look at misfire history in the data list and see exactly what cylinder is misfiring. This will give an indication if all cylinders have a slight misfire (indicating a possible fuel supply issue) or a single cylinder condition.

·
Administrator
20,188 Posts
What type of gas are you using, regular or premium?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see 14 V driving electric. As soon as the ICE turns on it drops.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AFAIK premium is spec’d for Gen 1 and that is all I have ever used.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, is Bank 1 actually all 4 cylinders? I definitely misunderstood that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I read the description of P219A and I don’t really understand it. Can you explain it in simple terms? I think I’m a reasonably smart guy but the math listed in the DTC description just hurt my head.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today replaced the valve cover (to replace the PCV) and removed the new plugs and put in the OEM 41-122 plugs.

Surprised to find Advance Auto had valve cover in stock.

Will report results after I can get her on the road again.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Today replaced the valve cover (to replace the PCV) and removed the new plugs and put in the OEM 41-122 plugs.

Surprised to find Advance Auto had valve cover in stock.

Will report results after I can get her on the road again.
I just did a search on the Advance Auto website and could not find the cover. All I found was the gasket. I even did a search on a valve cover for a 2014 ELR, no dice. Did it come with the gasket?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Same search experience here. Walked in to ask for advice on possibly cleaning or flushing the embedded valve and walked out with a new cover. It was $80 and included gasket and the captive bolts. Chinese reproduction seems like lower quality plastic but fit was perfect.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I read the description of P219A and I don’t really understand it. Can you explain it in simple terms? I think I’m a reasonably smart guy but the math listed in the DTC description just hurt my head.
This is explained on the web...

OBD II fault code P219A is a generic code that is defined as “Bank 1 Air/Fuel Ratio Imbalance”.

A bank in this case would be either the left or right 4 cylinders of a V8 engine. The Volt engine has only 4 cylinders, and it is designated "Bank 1".

The "Air/Fuel Ratio Imbalance” means the air/fuel mixture is too rich or too lean. Both make the engine run poorly. Too lean may make the engine run dangerously hot. Too rich would make the catalytic converter run dangerously hot.

This is sensed based on the O2 sensor in the exhaust between the engine and catalytic converter, and indicates the engine can not correctly control the mixture.

Additional diagnostics are required to determine if this is from a single cylinder, or the whole engine in general. Or it might be a failed or incorrect O2 sensor, though that should also be detected.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
did you feel any drivability problems when it flipped on
Edit- I perceived drivability being impacted but I don’t think it was. Definitely felt the engine misfire but can not confirm or deny change in speed. A little panic as attention shifts from road to dash to figure out what the heck is going on.

The first time it happened, I can confirm the car disabled the ACC.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts