GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I loved my Chevy Volt and gave it to my son and bought a 2014 Cadillac ELR. My Chevy volt charged to 35 miles EV every day with no problems. My 2014 Cadillac charges to max of 29 miles EV and blows the breaker once in a while when charging. Is it a bad EV battery or has anyone heard of anything that can cause loss of range and the breaker issue?

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am reading that winter and summer range can range from 30 miles winter EV to 40 miles in the summer also. We don’t get very cold in our area of California. We get into 38 degrees to 45 degrees in the morning right now. Is it possible to drop my Cadillac ELR range to 29 miles at full charge due to that it is winter?

· Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
755 Posts
Is it possible to drop my Cadillac ELR range to 29 miles at full charge due to that it is winter?
Depends on how much heat you use, tires, tire pressure, wind, road conditions, driving style, speed, terrain, storage conditions of vehicle, and phase of the moon. Generally I would think Yes.

One thing I noticed is that If you store your car outside all night at 38 degrees, that will reduce the range when compared to a nice 55 degree garage. It is really remarkable what a 20 degree difference in battery temp will cost in terms of range (due to limited chemical reaction and the need to heat the battery). Using HVAC only makes it worse.

· Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
755 Posts
My 2014 Cadillac charges to max of 29 miles EV and blows the breaker once in a while when charging. Is it a bad EV battery or has anyone heard of anything that can cause loss of range and the breaker issue?
Are you using the same EVSE of the ELR as you did on the Volt?

· Registered
1,349 Posts
So I loved my Chevy Volt and gave it to my son and bought a 2014 Cadillac ELR. My Chevy volt charged to 35 miles EV every day with no problems. My 2014 Cadillac charges to max of 29 miles EV and blows the breaker once in a while when charging. Is it a bad EV battery or has anyone heard of anything that can cause loss of range and the breaker issue?
breaker could just be old and is popping at a lower amperage than its rated for.try switching it out and see what happens.

Reactions: Charlie 2013

· Registered
331 Posts
Had a rear inner brake pad friction material separate and the caliper piston advanced to the backing plate and grind away. The issue was a caliper pin was stuck causing constant pad contact eventually resulting in failure. After repairs, range is increasing. Have your brakes serviced. High resistance will trip a breaker. Clean the contacts of your EVSE plug and socket.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just took my 2014 Cadillac ELR into our local dealership. The Forman himself checked my car and said everything is working as designed. It is still cold where we are 44 degrees so it is normal to have only 29 miles EV range during cold weather. This charging to a full charge over night car has not moved yet EV full charge reading 29 miles EV range. Hopefully that goes up once the weather warms up. My 2013 Chevy volt charged over night to 35 mile EV range every night. Has me wondering why my ELR with basically the same system can’t do that.

· Registered
2,359 Posts
The title of your post may be "Winter time EV mileage" but you haven’t mentioned any mileage numbers at all, just ev range estimates. Don’t you normally drive far enough during the day (i.e., ~25-30 miles) to determine if the full charge ev range estimate is accurate? How much ev fuel are you using to drive those 29 estimated ev miles? What’s the kWh used you get from a full charge?

If you are getting 3.2 miles/kWh, for example, then ~29 ev miles is what you should get from ~9.0 kWh Used from a full charge if 9.0 kWh is what your ELR is giving you for a full charge now. Is the ev mileage for some reason very low for the usable kWh you get from a full charge (perhaps a mechanical problem such as sticking brakes)? Are you using electric heat excessively as you drive? Or is the kWh Used for a full charge (and thus the ev range estimate) merely reflecting a loss of battery capacity over the years?

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It’s at our local Cadillac dealership to fix this issue right now. I will let everyone know what they find.
Cadillac said system is working as designed even though getting only 29 EV miles after a full night of charge before moving the car it only says 29 EV miles now. Use to be 35-36 miles. Hopefully the EV miles improve once the weather warms up.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cadillac said system is working as designed even though getting only 29 EV miles after a full night of charge before moving the car it only says 29 EV miles now. Use to be 35-36 miles. Hopefully the EV miles improve once the weather warms up.
Some people report the EV mileage increases once the weather gets warmer. I will
Post any difference once the weather changes. My volt always use to charge to 35 miles all year long, sure makes me wonder why my ELR doesn’t charge overnight to 35 miles EV now. I did get the software update for low cell voltage. Has anyone noticed this reduction in EV miles after the software update?

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you using the same EVSE of the ELR as you did on the Volt?
Using the EV Cadillac charger that came with the car. Also just got it back from cadillac dealership, they charged it with 240 volt and also with the overnight 120 volt charger and only gets 29 miles EV range right now. The temperature in my area drops to 44 degrees inside my garage. The weird thing is my volt was a 2013 with a 103,000 miles and always charged to 35 miles. My beautiful ELR only charges to 29 EV miles now. I love my car so I guess I live with the reduced EV range. Just wondering why it has lost range at 70,000 miles and my volt which I gave to my son has 103,000 and a year older still charges over night to 35 EV miles.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The title of your post may be "Winter time EV mileage" but you haven’t mentioned any mileage numbers at all, just ev range estimates. Don’t you normally drive far enough during the day (i.e., ~25-30 miles) to determine if the full charge ev range estimate is accurate? How much ev fuel are you using to drive those 29 estimated ev miles? What’s the kWh used you get from a full charge?

If you are getting 3.2 miles/kWh, for example, then ~29 ev miles is what you should get from ~9.0 kWh Used from a full charge if 9.0 kWh is what your ELR is giving you for a full charge now. Is the ev mileage for some reason very low for the usable kWh you get from a full charge (perhaps a mechanical problem such as sticking brakes)? Are you using electric heat excessively as you drive? Or is the kWh Used for a full charge (and thus the ev range estimate) merely reflecting a loss of battery capacity over the years?
I use only Min heat while driving. I am going to test the KW use to determine real EV range soon. Thanks.

· Registered
1,349 Posts
Using the EV Cadillac charger that came with the car. Also just got it back from cadillac dealership, they charged it with 240 volt and also with the overnight 120 volt charger and only gets 29 miles EV range right now. The temperature in my area drops to 44 degrees inside my garage. The weird thing is my volt was a 2013 with a 103,000 miles and always charged to 35 miles. My beautiful ELR only charges to 29 EV miles now. I love my car so I guess I live with the reduced EV range. Just wondering why it has lost range at 70,000 miles and my volt which I gave to my son has 103,000 and a year older still charges over night to 35 EV miles.
ELR weighs something like 700lbs more than the volt.
My cars at 77k miles and I'm down to 29ev miles too.I look at the battery cells and around the 40-50 cells,they are lower than the rest of the cells.thats most likely my problem starting to show up.
almost totally discharged(2ev miles left) my battery is
min avg max
3.542(#54) 3.561 3.580(#34) (37mV)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts