GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you make the deal for a soon to be 3 yr. old loaded ELR with ACC for $45k?
I myself still think its overpriced? Any thoughts from ELR owners will be appreciated.
I'm thinking of selling my 2013 Premium Volt - Silver Ice to buy an ELR, but I'm torn between the 2014 and a 2016 ELR without ACC. The 2016's have a bit more getup & go from everything I've read about them.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
That's a good price, if and only if, you also get the $7.5K tax credit and a full 48 month warranty. Otherwise it's not a good deal at all.

I'd take ACC over the faster 0-60 MPH times. Note that you have to use the engine along with the motor to get the better time. Haven't needed to be any zippier yet, and I'm a year and a half into ownership. ACC on the other hand is very useful on the freeway.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Agree w/DonC. If it's not new with warranty and tax credit it's 8k overpriced.

ACC is worth a lot to me. Didn't think it was a big deal until I started using it. Best for traffic not highway. For open road, standard cruise is the same as ACC imho.

The 2016 performance package is not that much better on paper than a 2014 in CS mode.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Would you make the deal for a soon to be 3 yr. old loaded ELR with ACC for $45k?
I myself still think its overpriced? Any thoughts from ELR owners will be appreciated.
I'm thinking of selling my 2013 Premium Volt - Silver Ice to buy an ELR, but I'm torn between the 2014 and a 2016 ELR without ACC. The 2016's have a bit more getup & go from everything I've read about them.
If the car is brand new, you could also qualify for the $2000 rebate from the Commonwealth of PA, if the vehicle has less than 500 miles. How many miles are on the car you're looking at? Agree with Loboc about the ACC. There are used 2016 ELR cars out there for the same price - 2 for example, in Alliance, Ohio (where I bought my Volt) https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action?zc=15219&rd=99999&stkTypId=28881&yrId=58487&mdId=52107&mkId=20052&sf1Nm=price&sf1Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=miles&sf2Dir=ASC&page=1&perPage=50&sortFeatures=buryUsedLowPrice&sortFeatures=buryNewLowPrice&sortFeatures=buryLowPriceOlderThanSix&sortFeatures=buryNoPrice&searchSource=SORT

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good price, if and only if, you also get the $7.5K tax credit and a full 48 month warranty. Otherwise it's not a good deal at all.

I'd take ACC over the faster 0-60 MPH times. Note that you have to use the engine along with the motor to get the better time. Haven't needed to be any zippier yet, and I'm a year and a half into ownership. ACC on the other hand is very useful on the freeway.
Thanks Don for your advice! The warranty clock is ticking and its down to 45 months not 48. Though, I should be eligible to get the tax credit, but I'm still trying to decide whether to pull the trigger on the deal?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the car is brand new, you could also qualify for the $2000 rebate from the Commonwealth of PA, if the vehicle has less than 500 miles. How many miles are on the car you're looking at? Agree with Loboc about the ACC. There are used 2016 ELR cars out there for the same price - 2 for example, in Alliance, Ohio (where I bought my Volt) https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action?zc=15219&rd=99999&stkTypId=28881&yrId=58487&mdId=52107&mkId=20052&sf1Nm=price&sf1Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=miles&sf2Dir=ASC&page=1&perPage=50&sortFeatures=buryUsedLowPrice&sortFeatures=buryNewLowPrice&sortFeatures=buryLowPriceOlderThanSix&sortFeatures=buryNoPrice&searchSource=SORT
Thanks myoda, The car was a dealer demo and is under 500 miles so I probably could qualify for the PA rebate that would help pay part of the PA state's sales tax.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK Guys,

Well I traded in my 2013 Silver Ice Volt (the best car I ever owned) to become the proud owner of the leftover 2014 Crystal Red Tintcoat/Kona ELR. Hopefully, it will now replace and become the new best car I ever owned. I drove 7 hrs. to Kentucky over the Labor day weekend and pulled the trigger on the deal. I enjoyed driving my Crystal Red ELR back home as it was a smooth and pleasurable driving experience. l'll get the $7,500 tax credit along with the PA Tax rebate. So good deal all the way around. So Thanks for all your comments, I appreciated your advice!

·
Registered
267 Posts
OK Guys,

Well I traded in my 2013 Silver Ice Volt (the best car I ever owned) to become the proud owner of the leftover 2014 Crystal Red Tintcoat/Kona ELR. Hopefully, it will now replace and become the new best car I ever owned. I drove 7 hrs. to Kentucky over the Labor day weekend and pulled the trigger on the deal. I enjoyed driving my Crystal Red ELR back home as it was a smooth and pleasurable driving experience. l'll get the $7,500 tax credit along with the PA Tax rebate. So good deal all the way around. So Thanks for all your comments, I appreciated your advice!
Congrats on the new ride! I see from your sig that you're in Southwestern PA - if you are near Cranberry, were having a little meetup as part of National Drive Electric Week this Saturday, link is in my sig. Tip: air the tires up to 40 when cold. The potholes around the Pittsburgh area wreak havoc on your rims if your tire pressure is at 35. Good luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on the new ride! I see from your sig that you're in Southwestern PA - if you are near Cranberry, were having a little meetup as part of National Drive Electric Week this Saturday, link is in my sig. Tip: air the tires up to 40 when cold. The potholes around the Pittsburgh area wreak havoc on your rims if your tire pressure is at 35. Good luck!
Thanks myoda,

I always kept my Volt's tires @ 40-41 PSI, so I'll be doing the same with the ELR. Sorry I can't make it up to Cranberry as I have other plans for this Saturday. I live near Irwin about an hour drive from you. Yes, I know about the potholes around here, and how treacherous they are! When I was driving to Kentucky over Labor Day I hit a pot hole on I70 near Washington, PA, and thought the RF tire would be coming trough the Volt's front fender, and then I was listening for the flop-flop of a blown tire, but the Good Lord surely was on my side. Now I have to find a dealer to service the ELR. I use to go to Kenny Ross for my Volt, and I'm not sure if they will want to work on the ELR? I called C Harper in Belle Vernon who said they will if Kenny Ross no longer wants my business. Thanks for the well wishes, and maybe sometime we can meet up and have some good discussions about our ELR's.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've had OK success with Cochran in Monroeville for service, but I had a better experience at Baierl in Wexford. Baierl even plugged my car in after service was complete. Did not even have to ask them to do that. Good luck with the new ride, and post some pics!

20160829_173047.jpg 20160830_180237.jpg 20160830_180709.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, I love that Steeler Logo on the front of your ELR. Did that front license plate holder come with your car because mine didn't have one, so I guess I'll have to try and buy one that will fit on the front to hold a special plate that I had on my Volt.
If we park our cars side-by-side they will be twins except for the interiors. I'll post some pictures after I get some taken. I have a few pics from the ELR when it was in the dealer's lot in KY.

Looks like I'll have to go to C Harper for service although I would have preferred Kenny Ross that is one mile from my home and how well they took care of my two Volts. KR Service Manager explained they can't service my ELR at their dealership because Cadillac calls it "cross over" warranty work and they can get in trouble if an audit is done by GM? This is something I can't quite understand with GM and its policies? I never had many good experiences with service at Cochran from Pontiacs & Buicks I previously owned, but I have heard good things about Baierl in Wexford, as I once spoke to Mr. Baierl when I was searching for a Volt. But I don't care to drive an hour up to Wexford just for service. Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
OK Guys,

My brother!

I took Greyhound 22 hours from York, PA to Lima, OH to pick up my 2014 Crystal Red Tintcoat / Kona ELR. It had sat on the dealer's lot for over two years (1/2014 to 3/2016!) and accumulated only 70 miles in that time. I already got my $2,000 check from PA, and will be claiming the $7,500 federal tax credit as well.

Welcome to the club!

--Chris

·
Registered
267 Posts
We should get together sometime, at a Cars and Coffee in Warrendale, PA. The next regular meet is 9/17. We hang out on electric avenue. lol. Tony comes down from Youngstown, Ohio..

http://www.pghcnc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=246

And the owner of this car wash bought a silver 16 - I see him just about every day..

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My brother!

I took Greyhound 22 hours from York, PA to Lima, OH to pick up my 2014 Crystal Red Tintcoat / Kona ELR. It had sat on the dealer's lot for over two years (1/2014 to 3/2016!) and accumulated only 70 miles in that time. I already got my $2,000 check from PA, and will be claiming the $7,500 federal tax credit as well.

Welcome to the club!

--Chris
Hey Chris, Thanks for the Welcome to the ELR Club!

Wow, you spent 22 hours on a bus, I'd definitely call that dedication! If that were me, I would have rented a car and dropped it off in Lima, Ohio. I did that with my 2013 Volt, I went to NJ to get because no one in PA had one with the equipment on the car to match my totaled 2012 Volt. So I guess the PA $2k rebate has to be claimed on one's taxes because I see they want the applicant's SSN. I'm waiting for the dealer in Kentucky to send me my MSO certificate so I'll be able to get the $7,500 federal tax credit.

Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We should get together sometime, at a Cars and Coffee in Warrendale, PA. The next regular meet is 9/17. We hang out on electric avenue. lol. Tony comes down from Youngstown, Ohio..

http://www.pghcnc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=246

And the owner of this car wash bought a silver 16 - I see him just about every day..

myoda,

Thanks for the invite, but Saturday's the fall are not good days for me as most of my Saturdays are booked. I'm a retired college football official, and I still work as a clock operator at various games here in W. PA. as I have a game on the 17th. Maybe in the spring when I'll have more free time, we can get together as it sounds like a fun time to meet & make new car enthuisastic friends.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wow, you spent 22 hours on a bus, I'd definitely call that dedication! If that were me, I would have rented a car and dropped it off in Lima, Ohio. I did that with my 2013 Volt, I went to NJ to get because no one in PA had one with the equipment on the car to match my totaled 2012 Volt. So I guess the PA $2k rebate has to be claimed on one's taxes because I see they want the applicant's SSN.
It was a long ride. I have a newfound respect for people who don't have any other means of transportation.

Yes, the rebate is taxable. Fortunately, PA's personal income tax rate is pretty low...

--Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts