GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
News sources are continuing to provide future product information associated with the Volt and ELR. Here is text from two different articles in Automotive News from July 23. Information associated with the 2013 Volt has already been covered on the Forum.

ELR: The coupe, which is based on the Chevrolet Volt's plug-in hybrid technology, is likely to be launched in late 2013 as a 2014 model. It could feature a 1.6-liter, four-cylinder engine and is likely to have more power and a longer electric range than the Volt's 38 miles.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20120723/OEM04/307239993#ixzz21Xt4uHNa

Volt: For the 2013 model year, GM improved the battery to get an extra three miles of electric range from the plug-in hybrid, allowing drivers to go up to 38 miles on a single charge before a small gasoline-powered generator kicks in to run the electric engine.
An expected restyling for the 2014 model year could see the Volt take on some of the styling cues of its European sibling, the Opel Ampera.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20120723/OEM04/307239992#ixzz21Xu0e4Ft

·
8,680 Posts
A 1.6 liter? Have we seen that anywhere in GM's upcoming lineup? I know the current Family 0 engines are being phased out, replaced by a new Ecotec range, but I hadn't heard anything specific. 1.6 liters would let them move to Atkinson at similar power levels to the existing engine, and with DI would allows substantial fuel efficiency gains. (Still not seeing a real argument for more engine power in an EREV. More electric power, absolutely.)

·
Registered
923 Posts
An expected restyling for the 2014 model year could see the Volt take on some of the styling cues of its European sibling, the Opel Ampera.

NO! The Europeans might like it but not in North America.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
>> allowing drivers to go up to 38 miles on a single charge

This is still (in my opinion) a detriment to selling Volts. They have to change "up to xx" to something else. "up to" really means "most" - and that's not true.

My 2011 yesterday gave me:
48.8 miles range on the overnight charge going to NJ (lost 500' elevation)
40.2 miles range on the way home (10*F hotter out, gaining 400' elevation)

We know "up to" is an asterisk condition. It is "up to this mileage, on average, across the 4-seasonal temperature conditions and you should see lower mileage in the winter, if you live in colder climates and well above the 35/38 mile average in warmer, summer conditions while very-hot summer conditions above 100*F means you will also have lower mileage due to cooling factors."

How do you put that paragraph into a single one or two word statement? How do you teach the typical car salesman to explain that to Joe Public?

·
8,680 Posts
GM Europe currently makes a 1.6L I4. It is a fairly new engine used in a number of Opel's and Chevy's in Europe. This I could see as a possible nice engine for Voltec.

LDE engine:
http://gmpowertrain.com/EuropeVehicleEngines/PowertrainProductsEuropeTest.aspx
If that's the one, I'm not impressed - that's a Family 1 evolution - shares the cylinder bore and spacing with the Cruze 1.8L, 20% (40 lbs) heavier and with a timing belt instead of our chain, without DI. But I guess we'll see what we get...

·
Registered
5,486 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

This is still (in my opinion) a detriment to selling Volts. They have to change "up to xx" to something else. "up to" really means "most" - and that's not true.
You have a good point. But I wonder if it has something to do with the EPA? I mean, take a Prius for example. It is advertised with an EPA city rating of 52 mpg. But I could often get more than that by turning off the A/C, staying on side roads and going less than 40 mph. I got over 60 mpg on many occasions. But I think Toyota is forbidden from advertising any fuel economy other than the EPA rating.

But I do agree. If you are going to use the words "up to" then you need to actually show the highest possible number. Because obviously if you can get close to 50 miles then the "up to " should reflect that.

I'll admit that my wife has a lead foot and runs the A/C full blast and she usually gets more than 35 miles out of her 2012 Volt. I've never personally driven the Volt more than a few miles so I've never had the opportunity to see what kind of range I could get out of it.

·
Registered
923 Posts

My 2011 yesterday gave me:
48.8 miles range on the overnight charge going to NJ (lost 500' elevation)
40.2 miles range on the way home (10*F hotter out, gaining 400' elevation)

We know "up to" is an asterisk condition. It is "up to this mileage, on average, across the 4-seasonal temperature conditions and you should see lower mileage in the winter, if you live in colder climates and well above the 35/38 mile average in warmer, summer conditions while very-hot summer conditions above 100*F means you will also have lower mileage due to cooling factors."

How do you put that paragraph into a single one or two word statement? How do you teach the typical car salesman to explain that to Joe Public?

"estimated 40 miles" with a disclaimer in the smallest print you could ever imagine reading; it's done all the time.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'll admit that my wife has a lead foot and runs the A/C full blast and she usually gets more than 35 miles out of her 2012 Volt. I've never personally driven the Volt more than a few miles so I've never had the opportunity to see what kind of range I could get out of it.

What's the reason for "self deprivation"....................life is too short!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I agree with Walter that this engine would be a "Meh". But the article says "may feature". Last week it was the 2.0T. We'll need to get closer to the release before we know what's up.

·
8,680 Posts
Direct Injection would be nice as it would eliminate the need for premium gas...
Actually, probably not. The car runs fine on regular. However, the car gets ~10% better mileage on premium, and GM concluded that the additives in premium help it last for a year. I doubt these factors will change...

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
What everyone seems to miss is there have been zero reports of any plant activity, that at a minimum happens one year before product release.

As of now, there is no tooling, no beta vehicle, no EPA testing, nothing ... as of now, the ELR is vaporware and GM hasn't updated anything since the original green light.

Without prototypes or news of a production line being built, its just recycled GM press release material from over a year ago.

If Volt sale don't pick-up, there won't be and ELR, and we may soon see a GM press release that the ELR its been placed on "hold"

·
Registered
236 Posts
Good news, the ELR is NOT vaporware. I work in the automotive industry and the company I work for was kicked off on Cadillac ELR components last January....

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Too nice a day to be so gloomy Henry. The ELR is not vaporware. Before the Volt was released lots of people were saying the same thing. I'd sort of turn this around in that I think we're too close to the launch for the ELR to be put on hold. It's on the Cadillac web site. Completely different than the other cars that have been put on hold, where there were some announcements but not much else.

My own doubtless naive view is that GM is focusing on the wrong car in going after BMW. They've spent all this effort on the ATS as the competitor to the BMW 3 series. I think they'll have more luck with the ELR. The ATS will just be a different flavor of the same thing. An electric is an entirely different experience. You can see this in the fact that the Volt is responsible for more BMW conquest sales than all Cadillac models combined. An ELR which should have better performance and more amenities should do even better at this than the Volt -- a whole lot better. GM just needs to hammer TCO rather than acquisition cost. Truth is that electrics are the ultimate driving machines, even in front wheel drive configurations.

·
8,680 Posts
I wouldn't assume the ELR will be FWD when it arrives. Lots of sources suggest it will have more power, and while that could come from redesigned motors and internals or increased bus voltage (increased bus through more cells seems likely, too,) the easiest way to get that extra surge power would be to add a rear axle motor (of course, you still need a battery that can take it.)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I agree a Voltec Cadillac would better match up, but the ELR would have to be more than a 4 passenger coupe if it were to put a big dent into BMW. I am not convinced the ELR coupe will be a sales success because it is a coupe, but it's definitely going to be one hell of a halo car for Cadillac dealers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Henry,

I can see where you are coming from. The thing that ticks me off is how GM is devaluing the car by putting the massive cap cost reduction of $6,700.00 toward leases as well as the deals that are offering as much as $2,500.00 or more under invoice. This tells me two things: the car is overpriced to begin with at msrp or the demand is no where near what was expected. I personally want to see the price stay near msrp or greater with very little discounts for residual values. Now, I leased my volt, so I could care less what the car is worth at lease end. Most of the members of this forum can probably afford msrp and would be willing to do so for the technology and savings that is in store. As for my lease, I would have been fine with paying more than the $349.00 deal that was offered at the time if the value would remain higher on the new cars being sold. I did end up at just over $400.00 since my car was a loaded model anyway. Looks like I am more of an ELR kinda guy in this case. I see no problem with volt not being a car for everyone and more inline with the Corvette per say as far as sales numbers. As for an economical model, I believe that the Spark plug in model would be more for the masses. That's my .02 worth. :>

1 - 20 of 40 Posts