GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to fix a clunk in my front left end. It happens on moderate acceleration or "braking". It does in in L without pushing the brake pedal. Started as a simple clunk, but has evolved to a double or triple clunk like something shifting, you can feel it through the floor. I've replaced the axle and control arm, which made no difference. Nothing is loose or moves with the wheel on or off. It does not happen over bumps, unless you are getting on the brake or "gas" pedal. Happens on gas or electric. I've tried rocking the car in park and the engine does not seem to move a lot, the noise is definately coming from the extreme left side of the vehicle, so it doesn't seem to me motor mounts. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
It's helpful to post year and mileage. High mileage, perhaps it is just a little play in the transmission gears. Here is a video showing how the Volt Gen 1 works. You can see the transmission gears here.

And here is a video showing the details:

Reactions: BenjaminD

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's helpful to post year and mileage. High mileage, perhaps it is just a little play in the transmission gears. Here is a video showing how the Volt Gen 1 works. You can see the transmission gears here.

And here is a video showing the details:

It's a 2014 with 100k miles. It's definitely not 'play in the gears" as it only happens at moderate acceleration. Something is physically hitting something metal and it is coming specifically from the left side, not the center. To be clear, if I baby it, I do not hear the clunk. Once the clunk happens on acceleration(now two or three sequential clunks) it does not happen until use the "brakes" moderately. Its like something slipping do a new position, and returning under force. Not something loose.

·
Registered
608 Posts
When my 2011 had the outboard drive motor bearing replaced back in 2013 the mechanic left a motor mount bolt loose. I experienced exactly what you’ve described.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know anything about the stator bearing, but maybe someone could weigh in on failure symptoms?

·
Registered
42 Posts
My car started with a clunk on the left and then both left and right. I retorqued the axel nuts on both fronts and it went away for two months. Starting to come back again so may need to do the swap where you remove the hubs, replace the washer, and then replace with the larger nut.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My car started with a clunk on the left and then both left and right. I retorqued the axel nuts on both fronts and it went away for two months. Starting to come back again so may need to do the swap where you remove the hubs, replace the washer, and then replace with the larger nut.
I replaced the whole axle, including the washer and nuts.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I know you replaced the entire axle, but did you tighten "the other" side axle nut. Many times I have thought a noise was on the right and it was really on the left (or other way around, you get what I'm saying). I had the axle nut noise on my 2011, if you haven't tightened the other side, its free to try, see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know you replaced the entire axle, but did you tighten "the other" side axle nut. Many times I have thought a noise was on the right and it was really on the left (or other way around, you get what I'm saying). I had the axle nut noise on my 2011, if you haven't tightened the other side, its free to try, see if it makes a difference.
Yes the first thing I tried was the washer and larger nut from gm. It just progressively got worse. I'm fairly convinced that it's the left side motor mount. I've ordered one and waiting for it to arrive.

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
349 Posts
I have the same issue. Replaced both CV joints, wheel bearing, and had the transmission in at Castle Chevrolet (Chicago) for some work a few months ago, not a single shop has been able to duplicate it or tell me what it is.

Castle pointed to the CV joints which are aftermarket, but if I lift the car up (in Park) with one wheel on the ground, there isn’t much play.

Is this OK to keep driving on or will it cause further damage? It feels like someone who’s new to driving stick and “dumps” the clutch at random times, causing the car to shake back and forth. It happens most with cruise control active in my 2012.

thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the same issue. Replaced both CV joints, wheel bearing, and had the transmission in at Castle Chevrolet (Chicago) for some work a few months ago, not a single shop has been able to duplicate it or tell me what it is.

Castle pointed to the CV joints which are aftermarket, but if I lift the car up (in Park) with one wheel on the ground, there isn’t much play.

Is this OK to keep driving on or will it cause further damage? It feels like someone who’s new to driving stick and “dumps” the clutch at random times, causing the car to shake back and forth. It happens most with cruise control active in my 2012.

thanks!
Have you changed the engine mounts? Because that's a pretty classic sign. The only reason I didn't start there is because the noise seemed like it was very far left and people were really adamant about the axle nut.

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
349 Posts
I haven’t. I’m currently dealing with other issues such as a no start condition so I’m hesitant to try such a labor intensive repair if the car won’t currently start consistently…

May try once I get this thing reliable again…

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I removed the Inverter to replace the transmission mount and found the bolts loose. Tightened them up and all is well. So for anyone with a clunk, check the engine mounts.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Wow, the bolts were loose? Had the car ever been worked on?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, the bolts were loose? Had the car ever been worked on?
Finger loose, and to my knowledge no work has been done in the area. I think it loosened more over time. At first it only happened on heavy "throttle", later it was any movement.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Interesting. Have to keep an eye on my 2014, appreciate the update.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This Forum is so great, I have been suffering with the clicking for about a month, read somewhere that it was lack of grease on the brake pad contact points, spent the morning one day greasing and cleaning all of that, didn't help at all. Read about the axle nuts so pulled the wheels and torqued the nuts, drivers side was more than a quarter turn off, now everything is quiet. I'll order the new nuts and washers on Monday and fix it right but it clearly showed how to fix that noise. Thanks to everybody.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts