GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing crazy symptoms in my 2014 Chevrolet Volt.

As I was stopped at a traffic light, my vehicle completely turned off. I react to this buy trying to hit the blue power button and see the error message "Service Theft Deterrent System" but the car would not move. I end up finding instructions on this forum on getting out of Service Mode and was able to drive home. At home, I do a quick review of the car and noticed the courtesy light do not turn on when I hit the button. I find that the F7 fuse on the passenger side is tripped. I replace the fuse and the lights work again only to blow a few days later.

My first guess at the cause of these issues is the 12V battery since I have never replaced it and the battery would be around 4 years old. I order a ACDelco 47AGM Professional AGM and installed it and thought the issue would be no more as others suggested a bad 12V battery can cause weird problems in the car.

Fast forward 3 weeks later as I try to leave work and the car starts but goes completely dark. Pushing the blue power button does nothing. I ended up getting jumped using the terminal under the front hood and the car starts. As I drive home and approach a stop sign while hitting the brakes, the vehicle lights dim and the vehicle turns off. The car is moving and I have to apply a significant amount of pressure to the brakes to stop the car. I wait around a minute and hit the power button which the car turns back on. I eventually make it back to my garage.

I jump the car again and get the following messages in the dash screen.

IMG_9490.jpg
IMG_9491.jpg
IMG_9492.jpg

I have an appointment to visit my local Chevrolet dealership tomorrow for servicing. Does anyone know if this will be covered under the Voltec warranty? This car has been amazing to drive and I am at a loss of what is going on with the vehicle after replacing the 12V battery. Any thoughts?

Other weird issues is I sometimes can't charge at one of the free 240v chargers at work. These are provided by ChargePoint and free for any employees at my office. I do not have the delayed charging option turned on. Not sure if this is causing my car to go bonkers and turn off while driving.

-John

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,453 Posts
For a fuse to blow, you need excessive current flow; a bad battery wouldn't usually cause blown fuses. Shorted wiring would. Any rodents in your area looking for a warm spot?

The blown fuse provides valuable info. A circuit diagram will tell you what devices are fed by the fuse, and one of them (or the wiring to it) is drawing too much current.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bentbiker,

I don't think there are any rodents in the car but can keep checking.

As I was unpacking the back hatch tonight to prepare to visit the dealer the next morning, I noticed something interesting. The movement of unloading the back was causing the inside trunk light to turn on and off. This led me to believe maybe the battery was not fully secured. Upon checking the battery, I noticed one of the screws for the positive terminals going to the battery needed to be tightened. Adding picture below:
battery.jpg

Afterwards, I pushed the back hatch aggressively and no longer saw the inside back hatch light flicker. Do you think this could cause a blown fuse and the issues I am experiencing?

I turned the car on afterwards and the message about "Service Battery Charging System" went away. Not sure if it was due to re-adjusting the positive and negative battery connection or if tightening the bolt solved the message.

I still plan on going to the dealership tomorrow to get it inspected. Hope I get good news!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mister Dave,

It sounds like I may have two different issues going on at the same time. The one thing about the blown fuse is that it is consistently happening on the passenger side fuse box in the F7 slot.

I found an online fuse diagram of the car which states it impacts:
1. Body Control Module 6
2. Map Lights
3. Courtesy Lights
4. Back–up Lamp

I am not sure what body control module 6 does but the courtesy lights do not work at all when the fuse blows. The map light will actually turn on/off when I push the courtesy light button. I have yet to check the back-up lamp which I am assuming is located at the rear exterior and turns on when I reverse?

I would say that I have changed the mini fuse in F7 a total of 4x in the last month. Could this cause a fire in the vehicle if the fuse keeps blowing?

Thanks for your input!
-John

·
Registered
277 Posts
A loose battery connection may have caused some of this, or a bad battery. Fuses are there to prevent fires, so continually replacing the fuses won't hurt anything. I hope it's that simple.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Seems to me a good move to have replaced the 12 V battery. The loose power connector would account for some of the issues.

Fuses blow when the electrical load is too high. As mentioned the fuse protects you against fires.

As I drive home and approach a stop sign while hitting the brakes, the vehicle lights dim and the vehicle turns off.
Hitting the brakes might have caused the lights dim? Has this happened since you tightened the battery terminals?
If so, you might have an issue with the wires going to the brake lights.

Good luck finding an intermittent electrical short.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mister Dave - Thank you for your feedback. I dropped off the vehicle at the dealership and told them about the fuse. They said they probably won't get to it until early tomorrow/weekend but I'll report back what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
emg77 - This is good to know. This may be a last resort if the cause is not identified.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Tacoma - The event you quoted happened before tightening the positive battery terminals. The bolt that was needing the tightening looked to be going to the Volt DC inverter (24261518).

While the vehicle is already on and running, does the Volt need the 12V battery to operate?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hi Tacoma - The event you quoted happened before tightening the positive battery terminals. The bolt that was needing the tightening looked to be going to the Volt DC inverter (24261518).

While the vehicle is already on and running, does the Volt need the 12V battery to operate?
The way I understand it, the Volt DC inverter(inverter usually refers to an AC output, not DC) is a DC to DC converter that converts high voltage DC lithium pack power down to 12 VDC. And this converted 12 VDC power runs the entire 12 V bus and charges the 12 V AGM battery.
If this terminal is the main bus connection point for the 12 V converter power to run the 12 V bus, then it would be super critical that it be a good connection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts