GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I've shown both the senior customer service advisor this in the warranty booklet and the people at the dealership. It did nothing.

What the hell do I do now?
Show it to them on the website and request they contact the district manager, or you will. Whether or not they agree to fix it, contact the district manager. Escalate this. This dealer needs to get spanked hard and long. When you get the questionaire, trash them there also. Tell them you are going to. Time for them to start acting apologetic.

It's near the bottom under Electric Hybrid Warranty.

https://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty

I'll admit, I am puzzled. This is not a rental car, a rebuilt title, or commercial use car, right? Is there another reason they are refusing to honor the warranty? If not, GM will normally 'fix' dealerships who pull this crap, especially with emissions related repairs. The blended brakes are emissions related, not just part of the Voltec hybrid system.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
In my 2012, I had an EBCM go out. Originally they told me that it would be covered ONLY because I was within Bumper to Bumper, but I was right there @35,9++ when I reported the problem but I had to drive it to them and was slightly over....long story short, I am friend with the Service Advisor. He was shocked when they input the code to bill me (bill GM) and realized that it WAS covered under the Voltec warranty. My situation may not be much help as I have since sold the car and bought a 2016 otherwise I would still have the paperwork. Fight this, and fight hard. We have discussed this to death. The consumer should NOT HAVE TO PROVE SOMETHING IS COVERED.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
And it seems to be VOLT SPECIFIC that warranty claims are such a mess. I personally believe it is because of tradition, laziness, and poor training with the Voltec Warranty which is in ADDITION to the regular warranty that they are so used to.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,688 Posts
Show it to them on the website and request they contact the district manager, or you will. Whether or not they agree to fix it, contact the district manager. Escalate this. This dealer needs to get spanked hard and long. When you get the questionaire, trash them there also. Tell them you are going to. Time for them to start acting apologetic.

I think it's a mistake to alienate the dealer at this point. They cannot perform the warranty service if GM is telling them it is not covered. They (the dealer) need to advocate on behalf of the owner to quickly get to somebody at GM who can override the decision. If the OP lives in a city with a TV channel having an investigative reporter, they might love to take a shot at GM, and GM would be crazy to ignore the possibility of bad press on TV.

OP, have you asked to meet with the Gen Mgr of your dealership? This is the guy who could make things happen if he becomes convinced that it's all a big mistake.

OP, I was about to suggest putting your case on Facebook, but, after checking it out, I see nothing but extremely dissatisfied customers seemingly getting zero help.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I think it's a mistake to alienate the dealer at this point. They cannot perform the warranty service if GM is telling them it is not covered. They (the dealer) need to advocate on behalf of the owner to quickly get to somebody at GM who can override the decision. If the OP lives in a city with a TV channel having an investigative reporter, they might love to take a shot at GM, and GM would be crazy to ignore the possibility of bad press on TV.

OP, have you asked to meet with the Gen Mgr of your dealership? This is the guy who could make things happen if he becomes convinced that it's all a big mistake.

OP, I was about to suggest putting your case on Facebook, but, after checking it out, I see nothing but extremely dissatisfied customers seemingly getting zero help.
I've escalated at GM before with great success. The corporation has always exceeded my expectations. And luckily for me, I've also got a great Chevrolet dealer that has never caused me any negative concerns. I have never had to escalate when using them.

This is a privately owned dealership, not General Motors. General Motors covers the blended brake module under both the Voltec and emissions warranties. Unless there are certain exclusions due to use.

The dealership has to understand who the boss is. The dealership is a middleman between Corporate and the Customer. The dealership doesn't get to make the rules when it comes to warranty repairs. That is completely 100% out of their hands.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

I'll admit, I am puzzled. This is not a rental car, a rebuilt title, or commercial use car, right? Is there another reason they are refusing to honor the warranty? If not, GM will normally 'fix' dealerships who pull this crap, especially with emissions related repairs. The blended brakes are emissions related, not just part of the Voltec hybrid system.
Nope. Clean title car. Even if it was commercial or rental car, it would still have a warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I've escalated at GM before with great success. The corporation has always exceeded my expectations. And luckily for me, I've also got a great Chevrolet dealer that has never caused me any negative concerns. I have never had to escalate when using them.

This is a privately owned dealership, not General Motors. General Motors covers the blended brake module under both the Voltec and emissions warranties. Unless there are certain exclusions due to use.

The dealership has to understand who the boss is. The dealership is a middleman between Corporate and the Customer. The dealership doesn't get to make the rules when it comes to warranty repairs. That is completely 100% out of their hands.
How did you escalate exactly?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

The district manager is the problem. That's why all 3 dealerships said the same thing. I was thinking about finding a dealership outside of my district.

It's absolutely stupid. I shouldn't have to do this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What I think is going on here is a misunderstanding in nomenclature. The ABS hydraulic modulator valve assembly is a separate component from the electronic brake control module (EBCM.) The valve is what physically activates/releases pressure to the disc brake calipers and thus provides the ABS function. The EBCM is what controls the modulator valve assembly, but it is not part of the valve assembly. If you look in the GM Parts Direct catalog, the hydraulic modulator valve carries the part number 23283683, the module is part number 84070136. I can't find a listing at all for the ABS Control module that's listed under the Powertrain Control System warranty information; it could be synonymous with the EBCM. I wish someone at the dealership or at GM would take a moment and explain this to you. The hydraulic modulator valve is probably a bumper-to-bumper warranty item and that's why they're denying the claim.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
How did you escalate exactly?
The last one was the clutch hydraulics on a ZR1 Corvette. The dealer said it wasn't covered, and I requested the contact info for the district manager. Only certain dealerships were certified to work on the ZR1s, so I had to have the work done there.

GM had them replace the clutch and hyds, and extended the warranty on them free of charge with a letter of apology.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
What I think is going on here is a misunderstanding in nomenclature. The ABS hydraulic modulator valve assembly is a separate component from the electronic brake control module (EBCM.) The valve is what physically activates/releases pressure to the disc brake calipers and thus provides the ABS function. The EBCM is what controls the modulator valve assembly, but it is not part of the valve assembly. If you look in the GM Parts Direct catalog, the hydraulic modulator valve carries the part number 23283683, the module is part number 84070136. I can't find a listing at all for the ABS Control module that's listed under the Powertrain Control System warranty information; it could be synonymous with the EBCM. I wish someone at the dealership or at GM would take a moment and explain this to you. The hydraulic modulator valve is probably a bumper-to-bumper warranty item and that's why they're denying the claim.
So, what exactly is this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13-15-CHEV...774968&hash=item3b0f1eb9f0:g:prEAAOSwOddYyGDM

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I think my issue lies with whatever the ABS sensors plug into or the wire that sends the signal from the sensor to wherever they go.

There's no driveability issues with the car.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Since the district manager is your problem, you need to ask the district manager to escalate from there. If they refuse, there is a GM Liaison, then you go to Bureau of Automotive Repair, or Emissions Control agency.

If the module affects the rate of regeneration, it affect the gm/mi of emissions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Since the district manager is your problem, you need to ask the district manager to escalate from there. If they refuse, there is a GM Liaison, then you go to Bureau of Automotive Repair, or Emissions Control agency.

If the module affects the rate of regeneration, it affect the gm/mi of emissions.
I'll get the number and call him directly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
According to the sketch on GM Parts Direct, that's the hydraulic modulator valve assembly. The EBCM is also illustrated on GM Parts Direct so you can see the difference in these two components. The Ebay listing referring to it as a "Module" is inaccurate terminology in this instance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
According to the sketch on GM Parts Direct, that's the hydraulic modulator valve assembly. The EBCM is also illustrated on GM Parts Direct so you can see the difference in these two components. The Ebay listing referring to it as a "Module" is inaccurate terminology in this instance.
Are you sure the EBCM isn't under the Hydraulic modulator valve assembly? and the ebay listing is both the EBCM and HMV?

Here's an instance on here where it was covered under the voltec after a hassle
https://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-300434.html

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are you sure the EBCM isn't under the Hydraulic modulator valve assembly? and the ebay listing is both the EBCM and HMV?

Here's an instance on here where it was covered under the voltec after a hassle
https://gm-volt.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-300434.html
My authorization to view GM service repair information expired long ago so I can't access anything highlighted in blue on the DTC C1124, C1125 document. I don't think it can be assumed that because that document instructs to replace the EBCM with the hydraulic modulator valve that they are necessarily one and the same component. Also, thus I can't definitively answer your question about the Ebay listing. I do see the base of that hydraulic modulator valve has a multi-pin connector which means it gets a variety of electrical inputs from something else like a control module but that's purely speculative on my part and is subject to error.

Checking my 2013 warranty booklet, I see the EBCM is covered under the emissions warranty, but there is no mention of the hydraulic modulator valve covered under the emissions or voltec warranties. So I'm mystified as to how they covered it in that old thread you found. The only thing I can think of is that the EBCM failure somehow caused damage to the hydraulic modulator so both components needed to be replaced to correct the condition in that particular case. Someone at GM or the dealership who is knowledgeable about the workings of the ABS system is needed to answer your questions definitively. I think they owe you that out of courtesy. I wish you the best of luck with this and hope you will keep us updated as to how this works out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Reply to PM: My only advice is to insist. Once they got a GM regional manager on the phone and pointed out how obvious the warranty language is, then they made an exception in the computer. Just be persistent and demand it. Any rational person can see it is supposed to be covered.

I f'n hate dealerships and the whole process ended up taking hours of my time on the phone and an entire Friday afternoon...and that is with the warranty, in plain language saying it is covered, it's infuriating. Good Luck ;)

21 - 40 of 44 Posts