GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I’m looking into buying a 2014 Chevy volt with about 90k-100k miles.
I have a couple of questions;

How do I know how the battery isn’t dead or going bad?

how to check for signs of a dying volt?

I don’t have a outlet outside my driveway, what type of outlet do I need?

What are somethings to ask the dealership about before buying?

thank you everyone!

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
The main thing is the battery. The easiest way is to do a drive from full battery to when the gas engine turns on when the battery is "empty". Anything over 10 Kw should be good. You can delve into it deeper by reading individual cell voltages at charged to discharge and noting differences but that requires more knowledge and equipment. See if the dealership has that capability.

Any outlet will do if you have a 110V charger (EVSE). Dedicated 110V 15 Amp outlet is better because you can charge at 12 amps rather than 8. Better yet is a 240V 20 amp outlet (if you have a 240V EVSE) because you can charge at maximum 240V 16amp (approx.) 4.5 hours from empty to full. It should have had the fluids replaced (3 cooling systems) with the special recommended coolant which is about $500 to $700 as they have to be vacuum sucked out and replaced and circulating motors run about 3 hours to get out the last tiny bubbles.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hello, I’m looking into buying a 2014 Chevy volt with about 90k-100k miles.
I have a couple of questions;

How do I know how the battery isn’t dead or going bad?

how to check for signs of a dying volt?

I don’t have a outlet outside my driveway, what type of outlet do I need?

What are somethings to ask the dealership about before buying?

thank you everyone!
Ask them i fyou can take it h ome for 1 or 2 days. Drive it, charge it and see if anything is odd. Don't rely on therange guessometer if your driving hard OR frankly at high speeds on i.e. hilly roadways because frankl my 2014 still gets a range in winter of 30 from the cold typical and now back to summer of mid to high 40s. And that in the summer can change by driving highway speeds 65 on somewhat hilly averageing 35 while if im on back roads and or city easily hitting mid 40s. So dont assume on one charge and by taking home maybe you get to drain and charge the battery a couple times at least.....regarding range or such....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main thing is the battery. The easiest way is to do a drive from full battery to when the gas engine turns on when the battery is "empty". Anything over 10 Kw should be good. You can delve into it deeper by reading individual cell voltages at charged to discharge and noting differences but that requires more knowledge and equipment. See if the dealership has that capability.

Any outlet will do if you have a 110V charger (EVSE). Dedicated 110V 15 Amp outlet is better because you can charge at 12 amps rather than 8. Better yet is a 240V 20 amp outlet (if you have a 240V EVSE) because you can charge at maximum 240V 16amp (approx.) 4.5 hours from empty to full. It should have had the fluids replaced (3 cooling systems) with the special recommended coolant which is about $500 to $700 as they have to be vacuum sucked out and replaced and circulating motors run about 3 hours to get out the last tiny bubbles.
Thank you for your insight. I have a standard outlet in the garage. Not sure about voltage or what output is the outlet. Do I need to make sure before purchasing? I had ask the dealership about the fluids and they were not sure. They just do a standard 4 point check on the car. It seems like they don’t really know about electric cars. I’m very uncomfortable buying a 94k 2015 volt and not knowing these things about the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ask them i fyou can take it h ome for 1 or 2 days. Drive it, charge it and see if anything is odd. Don't rely on therange guessometer if your driving hard OR frankly at high speeds on i.e. hilly roadways because frankl my 2014 still gets a range in winter of 30 from the cold typical and now back to summer of mid to high 40s. And that in the summer can change by driving highway speeds 65 on somewhat hilly averageing 35 while if im on back roads and or city easily hitting mid 40s. So dont assume on one charge and by taking home maybe you get to drain and charge the battery a couple times at least.....regarding range or such....
Thank you for the input. However they won’t let me take it home. They said they will try to charge it tomorrow and let me drive it. I’m very skeptical about buying a electric car with no warranty.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I recommend that you put off buying a Volt until you have had a few months reading the various posts in this forum. You will then have a better understanding of what the Volt is all about. Your unease about this purchase will not be assuaged with the meager answers to your immediate questions. Knowledge is power (pardon the pun):)

I read yesterday that the increase in used car prices will begin to drop off in July. You might find better prices in August or September.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recommend that you put off buying a Volt until you have had a few months reading the various posts in this forum. You will then have a better understanding of what the Volt is all about. Your unease about this purchase will not be assuaged with the meager answers to your immediate questions. Knowledge is power (pardon the pun):)

I read yesterday that the increase in used car prices will begin to drop off in July. You might find better prices in August or September.
Thank you. But I have already bought one! It’s so nice and I’m very excited!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts