GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My volt mysteriously stopped charging when I plug in. When I plug in I get the orange charge indicator light come on and then immediately turn of. The car then displays the message "Not Able to Charge". These are the things I have done so far:-
  1. I have tried 3 different EVSE's
  2. I have tried charging at 3 different locations
  3. I can charge the battery with the engine in mountain mode
  4. I have disconnected the 12v overnight
Any help is deeply appreciated

·
Registered
2013 Volt - Silver Topaz
371 Posts
Sounds to me like a charge port problem. From reading this forum, I think the actual port can get some very small cracks that render it inoperative. I have no first hand experience with changing it (mine still works fine), but other posters have said it is fairly easy to replace. A search on “charge port“ will bring up some threads for further reading.

·
Administrator
22,537 Posts
Sounds to me like a charge port problem. From reading this forum, I think the actual port can get some very small cracks that render it inoperative. I have no first hand experience with changing it (mine still works fine), but other posters have said it is fairly easy to replace. A search on “charge port“ will bring up some threads for further reading.
If it is a charge port, they are about $150 and depending on how handy you are, can be replaced with a dealer trip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just replaced the charge port but I still get the not able to charge message. Do you think it could be the onboard charger behind the fender by the passenger side? How easy is it to change that?

·
Registered
2013 Volt - Silver Topaz
371 Posts
I’m not sure how hard that job is, but I think the part is pretty expensive. At least that is what I recall from reading posts here. Sorry I’m not much help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m not sure how hard that job is, but I think the part is pretty expensive. At least that is what I recall from reading posts here. Sorry I’m not much help.
Yes it is about $650 used on ebay. But I want to find out if I can just buy one and swap out the new one without reprogramming it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts