GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
21,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Starting MY 2014, GM added horn-based warning to the car when you exit the car with your key and close the driver's door (earlier years do nothing).

I am getting conflicting information about the type and number of horn sounds being made in the above scenario. For those willing, I'm asking you to test and report your results. I have not found this feature documented in the owner's manual and want to make sure our Beep, Chirp, Honk FAQ is correct.

TEST PROCEDURE (2014, 2015 only -earlier cars don't bother)

1. Start the car
  2. Exit the driver side with the key (no other key in the car). The car will start continuous chiming (dinging) while the door is open.
  3. Close the driver door.
  4. Listen

I have been variously told the car makes:
A. Three rapid horn honks
B. Three rapid horn chirps
C. Three rapid horn beeps
D. Two horn blasts
E. No sound

Sound Reference Examples:
Beeps - forward collision alerts, navigation system Voice Recognition System
Chirps - setting key fob Panic Alarm (three spaced out chirps)
Honks - key fob left in car (frankly a fast Honk sounds like a chirp to me)

What does your 2014 or 2015 do?

UPDATE: three rapid, loud honks is the winner. See video below.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Three loud horns.
It's similar to pedestrian alert, but with full volume horn.

Super annoying when filling tires ;)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I actually had to fill the tires, so might as well do this:

My cell mic doesn't do it justice. It's LOUD.

·
Administrator
21,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually had to fill the tires, so might as well do this:

My cell mic doesn't do it justice. It's LOUD.
Thanks everyone! And the video is awesome! I'd call that three rapid, loud honks. Definitely not beeps and too much for a chirp I feel.

·
Administrator
21,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep you got mine does the same thing,,,,only thing is mine is a 2013.
Interesting. Perhaps a transitional build as we have seen at the end of one MY, beginning of another. Do you know when your 2013 was built, rickkop?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Is there a way to turn this off? If there is I can't seem to find it in the config. This is been really annoying. Thanks.
As far as I know, it is not possible, even though you have the option to disable it somewhere in the menu. I tried it without success, it still honks like in the video. The only reason I wanted to stop it was because I don't want every one of my neighbors to know that I arrived home in the evening / night. I have an old garage without a remote opening door and these days I am using it (too cold outside). So, I have to stop the car, get out and open the garage door then get in the car and drive into the garage. I decided to leave the door a little open so that I have the "ding-ding-ding" but not the loud 3 honks.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
That's what I do at work, leave the door opened a crack, so the guys don't keep turning around to see why I'm honking the horn.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Our 2013 model year with vin: 1G1RB6E41DU114435, built on October 22, 2012 behaves the same way as the video depicts. For what its worth, my previous car, a 2012 Buick Verano also did the same thing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's a bummer that it can't be disabled. It even does the 3 honks when opening and closing the hatch. Happened the other day. Got out of the car. Got the three honks. Opened the hatch then closed it and got the three honks. Ugh. I have the remote in car reminder turned off. Hmmm. Wondering if I leave the remote in the car and then get out will it not honk then. Gonna have to give that a try.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
That's a bummer that it can't be disabled. It even does the 3 honks when opening and closing the hatch. Happened the other day. Got out of the car. Got the three honks. Opened the hatch then closed it and got the three honks. Ugh. I have the remote in car reminder turned off. Hmmm. Wondering if I leave the remote in the car and then get out will it not honk then. Gonna have to give that a try.
Leave the remote in the car and it just dings inside.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts