GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a 2014 Chevy Volt. I purchased through Shift.com after searching locally for about 6 months. I love the car it is a 2014 with 69000 miles. It was difficult to purchase a vehicle without test driving/inspecting, but I had driven a 2015 and new what to expect somewhat. What put me at ease was a 30 day warranty covering most parts. I was a little disappointed right when it arrived I checked the lifetime fuel economy. The previous owners only managed 37.9 mpg. I was worried about the battery state because that leads me to believe it was pretty much never charged or rarely. My fears subsided after multiple trips with 40 milesish in 45-50 degree weather.

I brought it to the chevy dealership to inspect. The guy at Chevy told me the previous owners had taken very good care of the care of the car, the battery state is very good and I had got a very solid car. The bad part is there are some parts that do need to be replaced. The most expensive being the oil pan gasket which was quoted at 7 hours to repair. This is the two items on the report I believe are covered by the warranty.

*engine oil pan gasket lead t rear of oil pan.
*auxiliary water heater coolant pump bearing worn, causing noise will eventually fail causing no cabin heat when in electric mode only.

I sent the report to shift and this is what their email response was: (copied and pasted)

I hope this message finds you well, I have received a response from my mechanic team in regards to the findings on the inspection report.

"I'll take the complaints one by one

1. Key battery low - more than happy to reimburse you for a new battery which is normally less than $10

2. Oil pan gasket leak - We actually did find this during our inspection but after monitoring it, was deemed as a seepage (not an active leak) and therefore meets SHIFT standards and we will not assist with this.

3. Hub joints clicking - we will not replace a part just because it's making a noise, there needs to be an actual failure which this clearly does not have so we will not assist.

4. Aux water pump - we will not replace something because at some point it may fail. They clearly state in the paperwork that it's worn and not failing but could possibly at some point. This means it's working as it should right now so we will not assist.

5. Brake fluid flush - standard maintenance and we do not cover that

Best Regards,

That oil seepage vs leak sound like a crock. The Chevy consultant told me when our report says leak, we mean leak and they can call him any time. So I think they will be paying for that one(warranty clearly states "all seals and gaskets"). I messaged back I can take it anywhere they want to try to refute the Certified Chevy inspection.

Now on to the auxiliary water pump, and the reason for this unnecessarily long post. I noticed the heater did not really work on battery only two days after taking possession. They say they wont cover it because it has not failed yet. It seems to me like it has failed. I just cant get the motor to not assist in the heating to do a video. I plugged it in and changed the settings turning off motor assisted heating when plugged in. I changed the motor assist to only very cold weather. The motor turns on within seconds of turning on the heater. This was yesterday in Reno with 49 degree outside temp. no matter what setting the motor kicks on. Obviously I need to keep the motor Off to prove that the inside is not heating on battery only.

Thanks all in advanced. Apologizes for the long winded post.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't know, but the Chevy consultant would be who I'd reach out to for an answer. If it hasn't been too long, just get started on the return. Its clear they aren't going to help you one way or another.

"Yes! We want you to love what you buy, so we include a 7-day, 200 miles no questions asked return policy with all of our Value Vehicles."

·
Registered
134 Posts
It was difficult to purchase a vehicle without test driving/inspecting, but...
That was the problem. No inspection, relying only in a third party "warranty".

To be honest, there are two options. Like it was mentioned, if you are within their window of "no hassle" return, just do it. Or, if you really like the car and want to keep it, then bite the bullet and pay for the repairs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Bought my '14 in July '18. In late September discovered no heat in electric mode. Contacted selling dealer. Yada-yada-yada...what a waste of time. Just added frustration. Liked the car. Searched this forum for NHIEM. Changed out the pump myself. $300CDN. Liked the car even more knowing I could fix it myself. Very common repair to Volts. The engine gets the coolant hot enough to dissolve the internal pump impeller adhesive and cause failure with no codes or sound changes. May be the reason it was sold. Fix it. You win.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts