GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2014 model (Premier I think) around Oct 2017 as a Certified Pre Owned with only 9500 miles on it. It had a 1 Year/12k miles bumper to bumper warranty. Sometime in spring 2018 the heat failed. I took it to the dealer, they replaced the heat pump. Without warranty it would have costed me a little over $600.

now 2 years later it happened again.

I just gave up on electric mode and I drive on gas, heat works, but eventually I have to fix it. When I drive in electric mode both heat an Ac come ON and OFF at random times.

Not even sure where to start, I see many threads on this topic. Some say it is the heat pump, other say a valve, a fuse, etc. I do not have the time, the space, the will to get under the car and fix this myself. I think I will go back to the dealer and see how much they want.

I am disappointed that this is a systematic problem and GM won't fix it.

I am just venting... thanks for listening.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think I will go back to the dealer and see how much they want.
Throwing yourself upon the mercy of the dealer? Might be simpler, quicker and less painful to light your cash on fire. Pull yourself together, give us some basic facts. Not all solutions require getting under the car.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I read somewhere before that the failure is a part inside the pump that is held together with glue. Over time the hot coolant melts the glue and the internal parts come loose. This is why some people report a grinding or moaning sound from the pump before it fails.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
This is how to figure out what's going on.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
439 Posts
If it is a small consolation, we had this happen with our 2013 Volt when new. We bought the car in July and didn't discover the issue until Oct. when things started to cool down. First visit to the dealer and left it with them. They said they couldn't repro. Second visit two weeks later and they said they could repro. Got the car back a few days later and as I left the dealer and turned on the heater I heard gurgles and then no heat. I drove back to the dealer, as they were closing. Told them it was worse. Took it home and halfway there the gurgles stopped and so did the intermittent heat. Back to the dealer a few days later. Left it there for another few days. Found out they had a trainee working on my car that didn't re-top the coolant after replacing the pump. One year later, the pump started growling and other issues now were popping up. The dealer then replaced the pump while working on the other issues. Finally, after 1.5 yrs and 7 service visits, the car was properly fixed by a Volt tech they flew in. From that day forward the car was golden and trouble-free.
Moral of the story - only have a reliable Volt tech work on your car. It may save you a lot of grief.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did the same thing. I bought it in the summer and when it got cold, I found out the pump was making horrible noises. This was one of those situations where it worked out better to just do it myself. I got a salvage pump for something like $40 and swapped it out in an hour or so. It would have taken more time to drive to the dealer, not to mention all the hassle. It has been fine for two years now, so fingers crossed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts