·
Administrator
22,537 Posts
Start by stating the car year..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hood release mechanism disconnected from the release cable is a 2014 Chevy Volt. With out the release lever connected, how do I make the initial pop-up? Am I going to have to take the whole front end off. Most of the bolts to remote the front end are under the hood?

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
405 Posts
It looks like a challenge. The mechanism under the hood is right on top of a radiator/condenser which will likely inhibit reaching it from underneath. Are you sure it is disconnected at that end? Is it definitely still connected to the release handle in the passenger cabin?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like a challenge. The mechanism under the hood is right on top of a radiator/condenser which will likely inhibit reaching it from underneath. Are you sure it is disconnected at that end? Is it definitely still connected to the release handle in the passenger cabin?
Well finally got the hood open on my 2014 Chevy Volt! The polished aluminum grills will lift from the bottom and expose the plastic front end frame. I cut holes in the frame at the level of the hood latch, exposing 2 - 13mm bolts that hold the hood latch to the frame. Lifting hood, the latch came up along with plastic cover over the latch, prying the hold down grommets loose and hood sensor wire as we lifted the hood.
The ball on the end of the latch cable had lifted out of its Grove on the release mechanism. I applied silicone sealant to negate the possibility that the cable could lift out again?
Upon inspecting the latch mechanism, it appears I could have inserted a stiff wire with a 3 incn bent 90 degree into the lower front passenger side hole in the latch assembly and accomplished the initial release of the hood?

·
Administrator
22,537 Posts
Thanks for the update and providing at least one solution if not two!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well finally got the hood open on my 2014 Chevy Volt! The polished aluminum grills will lift from the bottom and expose the plastic front end frame. I cut holes in the frame at the level of the hood latch, exposing 2 - 13mm bolts that hold the hood latch to the frame. Lifting hood, the latch came up along with plastic cover over the latch, prying the hold down grommets loose and hood sensor wire as we lifted the hood.
The ball on the end of the latch cable had lifted out of its Grove on the release mechanism. I applied silicone sealant to negate the possibility that the cable could lift out again?
Upon inspecting the latch mechanism, it appears I could have inserted a stiff wire with a 3 incn bent 90 degree into the lower front passenger side hole in the latch assembly and accomplished the initial release of the hood?
Any chance of some pictures?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any chance of some pictures?
I have it back together now, latch is now covered by the plastic cover and grill price is covering the holes cut in the front plastic. If you need, I can take it off, for pictures? Small tip, don't push the hood release in forcefully. Think that is how I allowed the cable to pop out of its Grove? Cable is now glued into the slot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have it back together now, latch is now covered by the plastic cover and grill price is covering the holes cut in the front plastic. If you need, I can take it off, for pictures? Small tip, don't push the hood release in forcefully. Think that is how I allowed the cable to pop out of its Grove? Cable is now glued into the slot.
I did get a picture of the of the disassembled
hood release exposure in my 2014 Volt, just after removing the plastic cover. Didn't show the latch much, but you can see the 3 holes I cut in the plastic grill face plate. I seemed to have not destroyed too many of the grill attachment holes, because it seems pretty solid when snapped back in?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts