GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally had an On-Off switch that interrupted the horn signal so I could prevent the horn from honking, but I would often flip the switch and then forget to turn it back on when I needed it!

This mod makes the kill switch temporary, by using a time delay relay.

Now when I hit the (momentary) switch, it triggers the relay, which stays energized for 10 seconds (and killing the horn signal), and then automatically turns off allowing the horn to honk again.

First I bought this
Amazon.com: Comidox 1Pcs Automation DC 12V Time Delay Relay Module LED Display Digital Delay Timer PLC Delay Time Control Switch 0.1Sec to 999Min Adjustable: Computers & Accessories

I configured this relay module to be in "delayed off" mode (P1?), and set it for 10 seconds. I desoldered the pushbuttons (for another project, but didn't need them here anymore anyway). Then I removed the blue relay and "dead-bug" style mounted and wired up a double pole double throw 12v relay in it's place:

The schematic for this contraption is as follows:

I have decided to power this module with a 9v battery for now as I didn't feel like tapping into any 12v signals, but a buddy suggested that I tap into the dome/courtesy light signal so that the horn wouldn't go off basically anytime you open a door...still debating on doing that.

Both of these links were great references for which wire to cut for the horn signal:
Pushbutton Mods to Enable/Disable Triple-Honk Vehicle ON...
Disabling 2014+ auto-off feature. Can it be done?

It works great, I can hit the switch before getting the mail or returning a redbox dvd and no more triple honk! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you hook a delay timer to the rear hatch open signal, you'll get a hatch open message on the DIC. and the 'car left on' nasty blast will not happen. Don't have to interrupt high amp horn feed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you hook a delay timer to the rear hatch open signal, you'll get a hatch open message on the DIC. and the 'car left on' nasty blast will not happen. Don't have to interrupt high amp horn feed.
That’s a good idea. But also FYI, the horn signal I interrupted isn’t high current; it’s the signal coming from the BCM.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Thanks- I needed a use for an old Arduino ( Raspberry pi's now )
and I can get back my Right Texas A&M gym sock from the horn.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Wouldn't it cause the horn to triple-honk once that delay timer closes again and indicates the hatch has been closed? If I get out of the car with the keys and it's running, opening and closing the hatch will trigger the triple-honk if all the other doors are closed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, you're right. Just a simple switch here would do the trick, with the benefit of the hatch open message appearing to alert you of your switch override is open, but your horn will still work. The logic in the software will not triple honk if the hatch is open or any door. Indeed, when you close the hatch, (or the timer delay closes the circuit) you get a blast of litigation prowess. For such a peaceful EV driving experience, this blast of "your car is on" reminder is souring. I know why Edison517, and many others, went through the effort to defeat this feature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts