GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has had similar trouble charging:

Several months ago I noticed my 2013 wouldn't charge upon plugging in the J1772 Plug. The vehicle charge light flashed solid yellow for 2-3 seconds. I tried two different cords with the same result, but then I tried again the next day and it worked. It continued working without any trouble since then until earlier this week. I am experiencing the same 2-3 second solid amber light then the charge light remains off until I click the plug button or replace/insert the plug. I have read several posts suggesting that the receptacle may be bad, but I removed/inspected/continuity-tested the receptacle for cracks or damage without any sign of issue. I hear the Charge Controller Module "click" as I plug it in so it seems to be communicating to that point. I've also read something about a charge contactor/relay on the "contactor assembly" that can fail, but I am not sure how to access it. See highlighted.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
13,679 Posts
Check the metal contact points on the charge cord plug and the car’s receptacle. Once, I had a moth head towards the light and kamikaze itself to an untimely death. The bug guts were enough to stop the EVSE from charging. Don’t worry about using a screwdriver to do the cleaning, it shouldn’t kill you.

Reactions: sparkrov

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
640 Posts
You looked at the back of the receptacle after removing it? That's where the cracks happen. Really small cracks.

·
Administrator
20,227 Posts
Have you tried both 120V and 240V charging? Does one work but not the other?

Reactions: sparkrov

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
You looked at the back of the receptacle after removing it? That's where the cracks happen. Really small cracks.

Mine had a not so small crack in the rear that could only be seen once removed...was definitely the cause of the fault!;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem is resolved. I replaced the on board charger and everything works. Most difficult part was removing the front bumper. Thanks all!

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
640 Posts
Good work, and thanks for the update! How did you determine the charger was the cause?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly, just a guess. I took the receptacle apart and performed continuity testing on the individual contacts. So i assumed the next thing in sequence. I noticed a few on this forum who had similar charging issues who had taken their vehicles in to dealers ended up getting receptacles, on board chargers, and main contractors replaced. I started with the most simple and worked my way, luckily eliminating the second item on my list of suspects. I was also lucky to find it on eBay for $130. Thanks for your assistance and interest.

Ben

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plus- I have never been so happy to see a working and consistent charge profile!! Unfortunately it is a little cloudy today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem is resolved. I replaced the on board charger and everything works. Most difficult part was removing the front bumper. Thanks all!
I'm having a similar issue with my 2013 volt. When I plug it in, the charge light stays on for a few seconds, then turns off. There are no codes. I tried using other chargers and it didn't make a difference. The dealership said the drive motor charger cable, receptacle, and housing (22847243, 23281030, 20972413) needed to be replaced so I ordered the parts and replaced them myself but it did not fix the issue. Do you think it's the onboard charger? Also, the battery will charge in mountain mode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts