GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Running through some maintenance near the 100,000 mi mark. After changing the trans fluid with ACdelco professional full synthetic. Changing out the spark plugs with NGK iridium and an oil change.

I'm a bit lost on the greasing of the parking cable and where to apply it exactly.

Thanks to everyone for all the help over the years!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Anywhere there is friction and you feel it needs it usually. Only thing to keep in mind is to use a dry lube or dirt/grime will stick to it and make it worse in the long run. You’ll want to get some down the sheathe as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks turboguy, I was going to lube those areas you mentioned but I did not realize it was a dry lube required. Any hints as to where those areas you mention are under the vehicle? Unfortunately I only have ramps to get the car in the air and had trouble seeing where the cable and mechanisms are located under the car. I assumed it runs down the passenger side but I did not see anything that gave me confidence I had found it. Is there a diagram or verbal description of where the cable runs and where to be sure to lubricate?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Thanks turboguy, I was going to lube those areas you mentioned but I did not realize it was a dry lube required. Any hints as to where those areas you mention are under the vehicle? Unfortunately I only have ramps to get the car in the air and had trouble seeing where the cable and mechanisms are located under the car. I assumed it runs down the passenger side but I did not see anything that gave me confidence I had found it. Is there a diagram or verbal description of where the cable runs and where to be sure to lubricate?

Many thanks.
The only points you need to lubricate are in the rear. It’s a power mechanism so there isn’t much. I have no idea where things are but I just know only things that need lubricant are things that move.

I will say as long as you use it regularly it should be fine. Personally I wouldn’t use lube as I’d be concerned about it attracting dirt and grime. A dry lube doesn’t really do that but living in the salt belt I just use mine regularly. Lubricating the caliper and the actual braking system are far more important.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
The cables really aren't made to be lubed, so if they start getting sticky or grabby, it's time to replace them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts