GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a CPO 2013 Volt since many are coming in off leases. My commute is ~70 miles a day round trip, no ability to charge while at work. It's sunny southern California so the AC would be on pretty much all the time. My commute is 85% highway miles. If I could charge at work then it'd be a no-brainer but given I can't charge at work, is the Volt still worth it or am I better off exploring traditional hybrids?

·
8,680 Posts
I'm not sure how to answer this. If electricity is free/cheap. the Volt will require less fuel - you should get one way on electricity, but you'll be mostly on gas the other way. However, the Volt wants premium fuel and I know you folks often pay a lot for electricity out there - the cost might be lower on a traditional hybrid overall, and the Volt won't be much greener.

My Volt has been a great car I very much enjoy - but a lot of why I like it is instant silent electric torque. If I had to use gas for half the miles, I'm not sure what I'd do. The car can handle it, and should be very reliable for you. It may or may not be worth the extra money for you.

Of course, if you suddenly gain the ability to charge at work at some point in the future, that radically changes the picture...

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
+1 what Walter said, but I would add a lot depends on what you can buy one for. Right now a pre-owned EREV like the Volt are bargains based on their initial MSRP. So if your looking to spend say $12K to $15K you can buy a lot of Volt and you never know when or where you will find a plug for some opportune charging. Suggest looking at plugshare.com and see what charging opportunities are available along your known routes. You might find a few more opportunities to grab a few electrons.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I have always owned an ev and my employer was always firmly against any green initiative, even to the point of dissuading you.

That mood in the last 3 years has slowly changed. We even have an environmental office now and it only took a few weeks of talking to the right people (and knowing my works properties well) also offering to pay.
And environmental after getting all of the complete financials and cost per outlet signed off.

Now I can charge at work and if I couldn't my backup plan was to charge at a local gas station that offers free charging (and agreed)
It was under 2 blocks away.

So although it may not work out right away the volt offers flexibility

·
Registered
488 Posts
The silky smooth drivetrain should be reason enough to buy the Volt. Just for fun drive an Equinox then drive a Volt. You will feel like you went from the past to the future.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
My commute is 85% highway miles.
From what I hear a Prius will get you better mileage for a drive as long as yours, but not by much. I'd never own a Prius. It feels and looks like a crap car (yes I know they're reliable cars, they're just fugly and ride too high). My 2014 (very similar) is just a way better driving experience.

What hasn't been said in this thread yet, is that you'd switch to HOLD mode on the highway and use electric below 50mph where it's most efficient. You can drive part of the on the highway in electric (no real penalty). You should still get very good gasoline mileage in HOLD mode, in the lower 40's IIRC.

So yes, it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'm considering a CPO 2013 Volt since many are coming in off leases. My commute is ~70 miles a day round trip, no ability to charge while at work. It's sunny southern California so the AC would be on pretty much all the time. My commute is 85% highway miles. If I could charge at work then it'd be a no-brainer but given I can't charge at work, is the Volt still worth it or am I better off exploring traditional hybrids?
Not sure if it is economical, because that depends on your gas prices vs electricity prices... but from a gas savings standpoint there is not a single traditional hybrid on the market that would beat a Gen1 volt on a 70 mile round trip. You will burn around 1 gallon of gas per day, giving you an effective 70 mpg, at what ever a gallon of premium fuel costs, and with charging losses around 13kWh of power, at what ever that costs you where you live.

Keith

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Some of the others here bring up a point.

I can always drive 50+ miles electric in the summer. (My high is 72 miles on a gen I )

So if you are willing to do what many have done before you , you can likely beat a Prius by a long mile if you are willing to even hypermile a little on one direction or the other even some of the time.

The volt is a lot more car than a Prius and much more flexible, so it does use more gas at high speeds but your trump is that ev can be much more efficient at low speeds allowing you to still beat the Prius by a lot.

·
8,680 Posts
What hasn't been said in this thread yet, is that you'd switch to HOLD mode on the highway and use electric below 50mph where it's most efficient. You can drive part of the on the highway in electric (no real penalty). You should still get very good gasoline mileage in HOLD mode, in the lower 40's IIRC.
Maybe. While we mostly preach electric at low speeds and gas on the highway, my experience has been that the biggest thing for best efficiency is avoiding cold starts.

I suspect that doing the morning commute all electric and using gas to come home will be more efficient than using a mix on both commutes, even if the mix is gas on freeways and electric at lower speeds.

And, of course, experimenting and optimizing the drive is part of the Volt adventure. :)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Check insurance rates for the Volt. If you carry collision coverage you might find the Volt is relatively expensive to insure. It's not built like a typical economy car, afterall.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Check insurance rates for the Volt. If you carry collision coverage you might find the Volt is relatively expensive to insure. It's not built like a typical economy car, afterall.
don't know where you got that info on expensive insurance for volts?
I am paying $73 per month for full coverage on my 2015 volt premium with a $500 deductible for collision/comprehensive
you know insurance companies use your credit history/credit rating for how much you pay now,whoever told you about expensive insurance might have crappy credit and credit history going for them

·
Registered
267 Posts
Does the Volt you're looking at have HOV stickers? I hear those are pretty valuable on the left coast. Is your commute to work uphill or downhill?

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Maybe. While we mostly preach electric at low speeds and gas on the highway, my experience has been that the biggest thing for best efficiency is avoiding cold starts.

I suspect that doing the morning commute all electric and using gas to come home will be more efficient than using a mix on both commutes, even if the mix is gas on freeways and electric at lower speeds.

And, of course, experimenting and optimizing the drive is part of the Volt adventure. :)
I know 2 things. First is that the manual says driving on battery power is most efficient below 50mph. Second is that I would get into a routine where I used up the battery, using the gas engine above 50mph for the number of miles over my electric range. In fact, this is exactly what I do on the occasions that I travel that far, and my wife was doing the same for her daily commute until she got a new job closer to home (and well inside the battery range).

Where I live that routine would change a lot more than it will in California, unless the OP lives in the mountains or the northern-most part of the state.

It may or may not be the most efficient, but it's the smoothest on me, the driver and that's more valuable than the cost of fuel. I almost never notice my gas engine running on the tollway. On side streets it's hard not to notice it. I'm not the OCD hyper-miling type by any means. I do what pleases me.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Personal experience. Volt cost me more to insure than an Impala would have. Glad to hear insurance is cheap in Florida. BTW, my credit rating is very high.

·
Registered
963 Posts
For 110 km a day you'll use about 3L of gas. You do the math. There is a guy who's doing more than the double of what you have and it works for him just right.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I am paying $73 per month for full coverage on my 2015 volt premium with a $500 deductible for collision/comprehensive
you know insurance companies use your credit history/credit rating for how much you pay now,whoever told you about expensive insurance might have crappy credit and credit history going for them
Personal experience. Volt cost me more to insure than an Impala would have. Glad to hear insurance is cheap in Florida. BTW, my credit rating is very high.
Arguing your insurance vs mine is irrelevant. Insurance costs have too many factors. Calling your agent for a quote is a good idea though. Then you'll know what your insurance will cost you.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I had a 72mi commute for 3yrs in my 2013MY. Check my signature for the VoltStats link to see how I did. ;)

But it boils down (to me) to having a near luxury car that can sip fuel like a econo-car. Better ride, safer, virtually zero maintenance and uses the same or less amount of fuel. Costs more to get into one for sure, but you get PLENTY of value for the money. Do it if you can.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'd go with the Volt. A Prius uses less of the cheaper gas but the Volt uses much cheaper electricity. However the Volt does require 91 octane gas. You'll also be eligible for more EV perks (Cheaper insurance with some companies, free charging stations, etc.). If your work place ever has an EV Charger added, you'd regret not buying a Volt! You could also ask if it's ok that you use an available outdoor 110V outlet.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts