GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

My 2013 Volt will not charge. The charger (120v) initially shows both upper lights green for a couple of seconds, then the LEFT upper light starts flashing red while the RIGHT upper light (!) stays green.

The lower green lights blink across left to right.

The problem initially manifested itself by the amber light on the dash coming on when plugged in and then the green light coming on for a couple of seconds then going off and the horn honking. This repeated for however long I left it plugged in. The chargers lights appeared normal. Now however the charger is acting up as described above.

I am now going over to the dealer to plug into their outside charge station to see if the problem is my charger (I suspect and hope) or the car.

The owners manual on the charger is pretty useless and does not list this light combination. Has anyone had this problem? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Nelson

·
Registered
412 Posts
Could be the EVSE, but could also be the quality of the connection to the wall. You could have a receptacle that has overheated or has too many other things on the line. Plugging into another receptacle or going to try the dealers setup is definitely the right thing to do. When my second EVSE died, it had no status lights at all. New EVSE solved the problem.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yes, until you've tested it at a known working charger we're just pi--ing into the wind, but I suspect a faulty charger...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, until you've tested it at a known working charger we're just pi--ing into the wind, but I suspect a faulty charger...
Just got back from the dealer where we plugged into their outside charger and the car charged just fine. Amber light came on then after a few seconds the green light on the dash came on and stayed on.

So it seems the car is working properly.

I had tested the charger in other outlets and it did not work in any of them so I also cheecked the line voltage with two different meters (one a dedicated line voltage meter from my test bench and one a multi-meter (VOM) and both showed line voltage of 125vac.

I will need to look into getting a new charger or rebuilding this one after some more research.

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Has the EVSE ever gotten wet? I've had to dump water out of mine a couple times. You need a tamper-proof torx bit to remove the screws. They're made by Clipper Creek and are good units. But water will stop them! Now I keep it wrapped in a plastic bag.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has the EVSE ever gotten wet? I've had to dump water out of mine a couple times. You need a tamper-proof torx bit to remove the screws. They're made by Clipper Creek and are good units. But water will stop them! Now I keep it wrapped in a plastic bag.
It has not gotten wet since I have owned the vehicle. We keep it garaged and the charger is always indoors. We bought the car used so who knows what the previous owner may have done...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I will get over to the dealer and talk to them about this some time this week. Hopefully they will take care of it. If not then I will probably just have to buy one and then the question is do I get an OEM replacement or go for aftermarket. Do I stay with 120vac or go with 240vac and the attendant problem of running a 240 volt circuit to my garage.

·
Administrator
20,188 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts