GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Volt stock charging cord has finally died, I brought it to my local Chevy dealer and they confirmed it was toast, but said I have no "warranty" on the cord. I have read a fair number of threads on this issue, but can't find anything that would indicate definitively one way or the other whether I have a leg to stand on relative to Chevy replacing this one either under good will or warranty. My car does have 75k miles, sad thing is I have only used this charging cord a handful of times as I have had a 240/fast charger from day 1. In any event, just wondering if I should pursue this with Chevy or just forget about it.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Call a volt advisor and confirm what the warranty on the unit is.

I've read both 3-yr and 8-yr replacements by people here, but I don't know which is the correct official answer vs a good-will gesture.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hard to find a list of specific items covered but "charging system" is listed.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Call a volt advisor and confirm what the warranty on the unit is.

I've read both 3-yr and 8-yr replacements by people here, but I don't know which is the correct official answer vs a good-will gesture.
I have talked to my Volt advisor before, so I will call them Monday to see what the story is.

·
Registered
197 Posts
On my former 2012, the cord also failed. I was charging outside at the time, and we had a couple of very cold winters here in the NE. That made the lining brittle, causing cracks. My dealership replaced it for free (just the cord, not the entire EVSE).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On my former 2012, the cord also failed. I was charging outside at the time, and we had a couple of very cold winters here in the NE. That made the lining brittle, causing cracks. My dealership replaced it for free (just the cord, not the entire EVSE).
My cord/EVSE has barely seen the outdoors, spent 99% of its life on a shelf in the garage.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The charge cord is covered under the voltec warranty 8/100. Your dealership is wrong.

5040230 Drive Motor Battery Charger Cable Replacement

This is the labor-op they should be looking at and it shows voltec coverage code V.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
The charge cord is covered under the voltec warranty 8/100. Your dealership is wrong.

This is the labor-op they should be looking at and it shows voltec coverage code V.

I for one appreciate having a legit Volt tech chime in and set the record straight! regarding the Volt's L1 EVSE:)

I can only imagine how many folks have already mistakenly thought this EVSE wasn't covered under warranty and ended up out the cost of a replacement after getting fed false info from their GM service dept.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks for the info, I will give it another go next week.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I took this info with me today to the same dealer that originally told me there was no coverage on the charger cord. They did a quick search on their computer and then agreed that it was covered and are ordering me a replacement. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I took this info with me today to the same dealer that originally told me there was no coverage on the charger cord. They did a quick search on their computer and then agreed that it was covered and are ordering me a replacement. Thanks again for the help!
Good for you. Persistence helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts