GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Volt with low miles (approximately 35,000) that has started giving me a lot of problems. Primarily, when I reach about 4 miles left on a charge it will switch to gas mode and automatically go into low propulsion mode. After I get home and turn the car off, it won't crank nor charge and I have had it towed to a dealer three times for repairs. Each time the dealer claims to have fixed it, but I wind up having the same problem as soon as I drive it again. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What has the dealership listed as a diagnosis?
They have not been specific about the diagnosis other than claiming to updating software. In my honest opinion, I don't thing the service department at the local dealership has been trained on repairing Volts. They possibly could have been trained early on, but since Chevrolet dropped the Volt the service folks aren't getting support from GM.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Could be a bad 12V battery......a possibility. If you don’t know the age of it get a new one. The CEL is coming on so you need a readout of the codes. The inability to charge could be low battery coolant reservoir which trips a sensor in the reservoir. Your dealership may just be clearing the codes and calling that a software update. If the High Voltage battery is suspect the obd device can perform a diagnostic to show its general health, and if one cell may have failed. Look for another dealership with an experienced Volt technician. Where are you located?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could be a bad 12V battery......a possibility. If you don’t know the age of it get a new one. The CEL is coming on so you need a readout of the codes. The inability to charge could be low battery coolant reservoir which trips a sensor in the reservoir. Your dealership may just be clearing the codes and calling that a software update. If the High Voltage battery is suspect the obd device can perform a diagnostic to show its general health, and if one cell may have failed. Look for another dealership with an experienced Volt technician. Where are you located?
We live in southwest Georgia and I've tried the two dealerships closest to where we live, but I'm considering taking my Volt to the dealership in Tallahassee which is significantly more advanced than the two dealerships I've tried. I did have the 12v battery replaced following the first signs of trouble, so it has to be something else.

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
460 Posts
I’d try another dealer that can do a diagnostic on the high voltage (HV) battery. It may be due for replacement soon. Or may me much ado about nothing. They can give you some ideas about what can be done if it is the battery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2013 Volt with low miles (approximately 35,000) that has started giving me a lot of problems. Primarily, when I reach about 4 miles left on a charge it will switch to gas mode and automatically go into low propulsion mode.......
My 2014 had the dreaded low propulsion mode message about a year ago with 76,000 miles, the ICE came on revving like crazy, then it shut off and the car wouldn't start. Towed to a local Chevy dealer and 3 weeks later, the #3 traction battery was replaced under warranty. Now a year later the same low propulsion mode message comes up while I'm on the highway, this time the engine was racing but it didn't shut off and once I got home, it wouldn't charge nor start. Towed to the dealer and now it's the #1 section that's going to be replaced under warranty. Anyone know if the #2 section is longer lasting than #1 or 3?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts