GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have a 2013 Volt with the MyLink interface (not navigation)?
Do you have a Samsung S3, iPhone5?
Try this.
Pair your phone with your Volt.
Select the phone screen so you can watch the status of the phone.
You should see your phone is connected and an indication of your phone book and call list.
Now drive around while someone observes this screen.
Do you occasionally see the BT connection to your phone drop and then reconnect, usually within a few seconds?
Does the Phone book and/or Call list go away (caused by BT connection dropping and restoring quickly)?
If so, please report it here and let GM know through your service writer, Volt Advisor, or MyLink service.
Mine has been doing this with my Samsung S3 and my wife's iPhone5 since I got it last August.
It was so bad at first that it spent a lot of the time disconnected.
It has gradually gotten better with Volt software, Samsung OS and Apple iOS upgrades but it is still quite common and reproducible.
I suspect it happens when I change cell towers since it tends to happen in the same location each time.
You have to be driving around to see it.
My service writer took her iPhone 4s and tried three other new Volts on the lot and saw the same thing.
Even with that, GM seems to think I am the only one in the world with the problem and they insist on trying to "fix" my car.
They have done numerous software upgrades and replaced the radio with no luck.
Now they are calling in a field engineer to "fix" it.
It sure looks like a Mylink issue, not an issue with my car.
So, please let me know if you see the same thing.
Maybe they will actually start working on the real problem.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I see this with my MY2013 and a Samsung GS3. The default setting for BT on the GS3 is to use the "Media Audio" profile. I have changed mine to use the "Call Audio" profile since I do not stream music. This seems to have helped the BT connectivity a lot. However, I do see the BT icon on the display go off for a second or two and then reconnect as described by the OP pretty much every time I drive the car. I have never had it blip off while in the middle of a call. I also have not viewed the phone screen while driving (probably a good idea for the OP to suggest that someone else watch it). The BT icon turning off and back on is enough of a distraction to my peripheral vision that I notice it.

I will try to pay a little more attention to see if it is happening in the same place every time.

I look forward to updates on a fix.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I wonder if this might be a power saving feature of the phone? If the bluetooth is not in operation or in use it will put the connection in a sleep mode?

BTW I have not seen this on my MY2013 Volt using a BlackBerry Z10.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had this happen in my non-mylink radio. GM had to replace the phone unit in my car. No problems since. The phone unit actually throws off an error code the service guy can see when it has an internal short but still functions.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I had this issue when i first got my car with my Droid RAZR MAXX.. however very shortly thereafter verizon sent down and android OS update to Jelly bean.. ever since then I havent had an issue wit hthe BT at all.. I stream music all the time.. talk on the phone, etc.. .. but for the first week I had the car it did similar to what you describe... I havent tried pairing my ipad up to it (I dont have iphone) to see if the issue occurs with the apple device or not...
I am on MyLink with navi on a 2013 car.. so not sure if my hardware is a lot different or not
-Christopher

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, I have this exact problem. I have an iPhone 5 with a 2013 with Nav. I've notified my Volt Advisor and my Dealer. I had my Service Advisor get in the car and I demonstrated the problem. Of course, the Volt Technician couldn't replicate the problem - sure he didn't have an iPhone 5. I've not had the time to go back to the Dealer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't' seem to be having the Bluetooth drop off while connected that I've seen yet, but I'm having problems with my Galaxy Note II connecting back to the Bluetooth streaming music when I get back in the car. Instead it defaults to FM and doesn't start streaming my music again. I find this really annoying because my Prius would connect back to the Bluetooth the next time I got in the car and start playing where it left off before. Anybody know how to fix this, or do we just have to hope for an update? I called Volt support and they said there is an issue with Galaxy devices and the Volt and their working on it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The issue is the Volt Bluetooth system does not activate and pair fast enough. When you start the Volt watch the infotainment screen and see how long it takes for your phone to show as connected. This does not appear to be an issue if the Volt is powered on to "preheat" as all systems are running by the time you enter the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
OK, that makes since, but when I get in usually by the time the screen comes on the Bluetooth icon is lit up. I got it to pair to my phone after everything was off two times upon the next start up so I know it can do it. I have been pairing and unpairing the phone and car to duplicate this and can't get it to work again. I also used to have another paired device that was connected called "car multimedia" and now it just shows Chevy Volt in the pair list, so after that "car multimedia" disappeared it doesn't even try to connect to Bluetooth first like it was doing before. Now it just starts FM EVERY TIME the car starts. I've got an appointment at the dealer to look at it Thursday so will see if they come up with anything. I'm not holding my breath.

What's bugging me is I got it to do it twice, so it can be done. Also that "car multimedia", I don't know when that got added to the Bluetooth pair list, it could have been one of the two other Volt's I test drove and paired my phone with. When "Chevy Volt" and Car Multimedia" were both in the pair list I would get about 10 seconds of dead air when I started the car where you could see it was on the Bluetooth, but just couldn't get it to connect so it defaulted to the FM. Now just FM every time. That just strange.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know. I've tried that app and can't get it to do anything different. I have tried paring it with my old HTC HD7S Windows Phone and it does the exact same thing as the Note II. It even connected and played Bluetooth after I shut the car down and restarted it ONCE after the first pair. (So I know it can do it) then it defaults back to FM every time on start up. Also the little Bluetooth icon on the Windows phone pops up IMMEDIATELY after I push the power button in the Volt. So it connects to the Bluetooth almost instantly it just doesn't want to start playing it again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just wish my Samsung S4 Active would read texts in my 2013 Volt. Heck, my buddy's 2013 Silverado and his Nokia 920 Windows phone reads them just fine over the sound system and he can even reply back verbally!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts