GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Volt two weeks ago. Very fun car. Used 120vac charger and would see 36-37miles when fully charged. Just installed a 240 charger tow days ago and still seeing the same 36-37 miles electric full range.
Is this normal or do I need a software update?
Was hoping to see 39 mile range.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Just bought a Volt two weeks ago. Very fun car. Used 120vac charger and would see 36-37miles when fully charged. Just installed a 240 charger tow days ago and still seeing the same 36-37 miles electric full range.
Is this normal or do I need a software update?
Was hoping to see 39 mile range.
It doesn't matter what you charge with. A full charge is a full charge; however, your driving style along with temperature, terrain, and technique (along with proper amount of air in the tires) will determine how far you drive. Nothing is wrong with your Volt. As the old saying goes, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
The range can vary greatly based on what we call the three T's - Temperature, Terrain and Technique. No two Volt's will yield the exact same results. On the surface without know your driving routine I'd say you are spot on. I recommend airing your tires to 40 PSI COLD, make sure AUTO DEFROST is turned OFF and try to minimize the use of HVAC. Then it's just a matter a mastering your driving technique. Jack Rabit starts/stops are BAD. Maximize regen braking by watching lights, traffic etc and lift and slowly approach your stop and try to avoid coming to a complete stop.

Also double check what tires are on the car. Are they the OEM GY Assurance LRR tires.

After all that it could just be are driving pattern, freeway way speeds use more engery that urban/city driving. And hills etc can hurt range as well.

Also remember that ICON is not called the Guess-O-Meter for nothing. It's just an estimated based on your last several trips. You can cause that to GO UP or DOWN based on future driving. On my 13 I have easily gotten it up to read 50 miles. But I live in FLAT LAND Illinois and it's easy.

And it doesn't matter how you charge it (120/240) it's just faster or slower charging it doesn't make your Volt go further.

Cheers and Happy Volting.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I used to own a 2013 Volt for 3.5 years before getting my 2017.

I saw EV ranges as low as 24 miles in the winter to 50+ in the summer. My best ever was 55 miles EV.
As others have stated above there are many factors that affect your EV range. Some you can control and some you can't.

Also charging at 120V vs 240V only changes the speed at which you charge. Not the amount.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Welcome and congrats on acquiring your Volt. Range is effected by temperature, speed and terrain. I live in the Mountains of NE Pennsylvania and my range varies from a low of 30 miles in extreme winter weather to low 50's during warm weather. My best in my 2014 Volt was 53 miles last summer. Also, the 240 L2 charger will not increase your range versus 120 charging, it will simply charge your car faster. About 4 hours versus 10 hours on 120. As the weather warms in your area and you adapt a more efficient driving style you should see your range increase well beyond 39 miles. The Volt is a fantastic car.... you are in for a treat.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Actual range depends on speed, acceleration and braking, terrain, temperature, climate control. Expect it to vary.

- Turn off auto-defog: with auto-defog on it'll use excessive climate control
- Try to use the seat heater instead of climate control for heating.
- On the energy use screen it'll show you how much battery and gas you've used since you last fully charged. Full to empty battery should show about 10.5kWh.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
In my 2012 Volt I wanted to see how far I could go on level terrain. This was just a test. I drove an average of 23 MPH and never stopped (OK, stopped once due to a curious police officer). Also tires were pretty well worn with 52K miles on them and I had the PSI at 60. The result was 81.8 miles with 8.34 mi/kWh.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
240V vs 120V changes how fast the car charges, not how far the car will go on a charge. In many cases, you will be able to drive more EV miles with 240V charging over 120V because the car is more often "full" when you are running errands (or making multiple trips back to back) where the 120V charger may be still trying to put juice in when it's time to go.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
That number is just an estimate of your range based on your recent driving conditions and driving style.

The estimated range you are seeing is very normal. That is what you will see unless you try to drive efficiently. In mild weather, if I stay off of the freeway (my best conditions), I can sometimes get up to about 42 miles. This is driving normally like other traffic, not hyper-mileing. Most of my trips include some highway speeds and/or HVAC use and are in the mid to high 30s. In freezing weather it can be in the 20s. It is very possible to get high numbers, but you have to try. Lots of people on this forum get much higher numbers, but I am usually in a hurry and don’t have time for that, plus I may not have their perfect terrain and traffic conditions. But just slowing down helps a lot.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
In my 2012 Volt I wanted to see how far I could go on level terrain. This was just a test. I drove an average of 23 MPH and never stopped (OK, stopped once due to a curious police officer). Also tires were pretty well worn with 52K miles on them and I had the PSI at 60. The result was 81.8 miles with 8.34 mi/kWh.

Now your just showing off.........but your still my hero.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

Man I could never get away with going that slow around where I live... plus the mountain climbs would wreck my numbers.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I think ari-c's experiment would have been more interesting if it had been done at some efficient speed that was also a reasonable real-world driving speed. No one is realistically going to drive anywhere at 23 mph except within their own neighborhood. Going to any sort of distant destination would involve using non-residential streets with higher speed limits. What if he had used 45 mph? Or even 35 mph? It would be unsafe and possibly even illegal (obstructing traffic) to drive at 23 mph on most public roadways.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow - great info, Thank you.
But, I did not work my question correctly. After I am done charging my max range DISPLAY next to the battery symbol has never shown higher than 37 miles of Displayed range. I thought it would Display higher, like 39 miles, right after charge is done

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
But, I did not work my question correctly. After I am done charging my max range DISPLAY next to the battery symbol has never shown higher than 37 miles of Displayed range. I thought it would Display higher, like 39 miles, right after charge is done
That display is an estimate from your PREVIOUS driving. Only future driving can change it ;)

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
It doesn't matter what you charge with. A full charge is a full charge; however, your driving style along with temperature, terrain, and technique (along with proper amount of air in the tires) will determine how far you drive. Nothing is wrong with your Volt. As the old saying goes, your mileage may vary.
Why would you think changing to 240V charging would make the battery bigger? The input Voltage is one thing that DOESN'T affect range only charging time.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Only if your driving habits and conditions make the car recalculate the estimate based on driving history.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Why would you think changing to 240V charging would make the battery bigger? The input Voltage is one thing that DOESN'T affect range only charging time.
In the OPs post, the OP had gone from charging at 120 volts to 240 volts and expected different results on the guess-0-meter

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Charging does not put miles into the battery. It puts kilowatt hours of electricity in. Immediately after the charge finishes, your battery will have the maximum number of kilowatt hours of electricity in it (roughly 10.7 usable). That is the same for everyone who has the same model year as you. And it is the same whether you charge at 120 or 240 volts. The display in your car does not show this charge level in terms of kilowatt hours. Instead it shows the charge in terms of an estimate of how many miles you could drive on that charge. The estimate is based on how efficiently you drove on your last charge. If you drive very efficiently, then after your next charge, the miles estimate will increase. If you drive at full throttle with the heat on max, after your next charge, the estimate will be very low.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now I got it. Thanks again. This car is a blast. I can believe I am having more fun saving power in my Volt than using it in my Camaro! (don't tell anyone at Camaro5 forum). I get into less trouble too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've only had mine since Friday. This morning I got 5 mi/kWh during my morning commute, but afternoon rush hour is worse because traffic is worse and it's hotter outside. My morning commute is 30-40mph with a lot of stopping, the A/C on, and flat terrain. I actually saw indicated range go up while I was driving. So far I am getting about 45 miles per charge, which is better than I expected. The one day I did freeway/tollway driving, I got the EPA indicated 38 miles. I love this car.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts