GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Volt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2013 with 122k mi. I just performed the 2019 battery/balancing/loss of propulsion recall as the previous owner didn't complete.
I only have 2 full drain/recharges since the update but I've been monitoring the cells as my battery drains. BTW, I can get 40mi range...When it gets under 10mi left, cell 11 appears to be weaker than the others. While driving & right before it switches to gas, I have observed that cell dipping to the 3.2v range. I don't want to brick the car so I'm thinking I should enter "Hold" mode with 5mi left on GOM to prevent the battery from draining too far. Once I stop driving, things seem to balance better and I'll have around 80mV difference from low to high.
Should I be concerned for this cell or just drive the car per normal and hope for the best?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
712 Posts
If you are getting 40 miles and can use 10kWh, I wouldn’t be too worried. Before the HV battery failed on my 2012 I was barely able to get 24 miles on a good day and 17-19 on a cooler day, and couldn’t even come close to accessing the available 10 kWh of the battery.

My newly refurbished GM battery gets 40+ miles per charge and can go a few more kWh before the gas engine kicks in. Last I checked, I was getting about 45 miles with 9.7kWh used.

Your battery is most likely fine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
That cell will fail quite soon
Not much you can do about it. Better start looking for a battery module

Going into hold mode will only hide the problem for a while

When fully charged, are the voltage at the same level

·
Registered
2013 Volt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That cell will fail quite soon
Not much you can do about it. Better start looking for a battery module

Going into hold mode will only hide the problem for a while

When fully charged, are the voltage at the same level
Cell 11 balances just fine and never spikes high while Regen or charging. It only starts to dip low when the pack is around 3.6v. Here's a full image. When you say battery module, you mean the whole pack?

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
It might be getting tired but it’s not done yet. I must’ve driven mine something like 10k miles ignoring all the warning signs until it finally croaked. Why not drive it until it needs the module replaced? IMO, it’s roughly the same cost to repair the cell now vs when the module is out of tolerance, the only thing is it will leave you stranded when it does eventually fail.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It might be getting tired but it’s not done yet. I must’ve driven mine something like 10k miles ignoring all the warning signs until it finally croaked. Why not drive it until it needs the module replaced? IMO, it’s roughly the same cost to repair the cell now vs when the module is out of tolerance, the only thing is it will leave you stranded when it does eventually fail.
Ok, and how much are we talking with one module?

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,756 Posts
Can someone explain the second graph for me? It shows the minimum cell to be #40, but it appears as cell #1 in the graph. As I recall, it was previously stated that any variation above ~13mV at full balanced charge is a problem. So, cells #1, #11, and #78 all look to be potentially problematic to me.

Aren't there only 3 modules? Didn't I see in a previous thread that GM is no longer authorizing replacement of a single module because that is usually followed by failure of one or both of the remaining modules?

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Ok, and how much are we talking with one module?
I’m told a single module is around $4k out the door, but prices may vary due to location. I had an entire pack replaced out of pocket for about $9,500 but my dealer said they couldn’t replace just one module due to the battery chemistry being different (I now have a P1.7 battery which is more like the 2015’s).

Personally I wouldn’t start pricing modules out until you have a failure. For all we know, that battery could last another 10k miles or more in this condition (mine did, from 66k miles to 76k until it went out completely).

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are getting 40 miles and can use 10kWh, I wouldn’t be too worried. Before the HV battery failed on my 2012 I was barely able to get 24 miles on a good day and 17-19 on a cooler day, and couldn’t even come close to accessing the available 10 kWh of the battery.

My newly refurbished GM battery gets 40+ miles per charge and can go a few more kWh before the gas engine kicks in. Last I checked, I was getting about 45 miles with 9.7kWh used.

Your battery is most likely fine.
May I ask how much your refurbished battery was and where you got it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bought a 2013 with 122k mi. I just performed the 2019 battery/balancing/loss of propulsion recall as the previous owner didn't complete.
I only have 2 full drain/recharges since the update but I've been monitoring the cells as my battery drains. BTW, I can get 40mi range...When it gets under 10mi left, cell 11 appears to be weaker than the others. While driving & right before it switches to gas, I have observed that cell dipping to the 3.2v range. I don't want to brick the car so I'm thinking I should enter "Hold" mode with 5mi left on GOM to prevent the battery from draining too far. Once I stop driving, things seem to balance better and I'll have around 80mV difference from low to high.
Should I be concerned for this cell or just drive the car per normal and hope for the best?

Where can I get the battery analysis tool that displays the cell voltages you are displaying here? I have a 2013 Volt that only shows 36 mile range when fully charged that used to show 40 mile range up until about 6 months ago. Thanks for any help you can give.
Thanks! View attachment 172376 View attachment 172377

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
480 Posts
MyGreenVolt is one app that will do it. Also need an OBD adapter dongle.

·
Registered
17 Posts

My 2013V Volt has 65k miles on it and I have been very conservative on charging normally when it gets down below 5 miles of range. Up until a couple of months ago, my charged battery reported right around 40 miles of range but now that has stepped down to 37 miles of range for the last several months. My car was in a few months ago to reset the "HV charging interruption" and I think they may have changed my min/max charge voltage programming levels due to the age of the battery. I also accidentally let my battery go to zero and the ICE turned on while driving 70 MPH on the Highway 5 freeway around the same period of time. I got the app you used and found that the battery cell mismatch is around 9-13mV at full and slightly discharged. I will look again when the battery range approaches 5 mile to see how the mismatch looks. I have seen information that give a 3000 charge/discharge rating for this Volt battery but if I am already down almost 10% range, this does not reflect my probable 1000 cycles I have probably done thus far. Do I sell the car now while the EV market is very hot? My wife really loves the car and I would still look for a 40-80 mile range EV Hybrid due to frequent trips of >300 miles.

·
Administrator
22,836 Posts
Thehobe, when you use Reply or Quote, move/insert your cursor outside the last Quote [ / quote] tag before typing. Otherwise your typing will be inside the other persons quoted post you are replying to making it hard to distinguish what you said from what they said.

·
Registered
17 Posts
After ordering the wireless version of the OBDII diagnostic scanner, I looked at the cell match voltage at full charge and 3% charge (actually this is 85% and 24% of actual lithium Ion battery charge as limited by the Volt's software). The worst match between the cells surprisingly did not change noticeably. The match was 9 mV at both full and 3 mile range left charge. As an electrical engineer familiar with lithium Ion batteries and their cell charging match, I was surprised to see such a good match at both ends of the charge levels. I think I have to assume that the battery is in very good shape after 65,000 miles (mostly battery use). I was surprised to see that the miles of estimated range has decreased from 40 miles to 37 miles over that 10 year period as I have only rarely let the battery drop to under 3 miles of range before charging. I do, however think that the battery has a lot of life left in it due to the very tight cell balance at the two charge levels. I do not really see any weak cells in the battery measurements. The Volt's limited charge range must be very conservative and that seems to be working very well.

·
Registered
2012 Std w Nav
5,186 Posts
was surprised to see that the miles of estimated range has decreased from 40 miles to 37 miles over that 10 year period as I have only rarely let the battery drop to under 3 miles of range before charging.
And that exactly lines up with our collective supposition that the Guess-o-meter tends toward whatever range you actually use out of the battery. If it's not driven to Charge Sustain/generator mode at least once in a while, it will simply not know how far it can get and will back its estimate down to what it DOES see being driven.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts