GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time is approaching where I plan to sell my 2013 Volt.

Where is the best place to advertise? I'd rather not just go to CarMax or do a dealer trade in.

I'm moving to all-electric. The Volt did its job introducing me to the plug in world in 2012 and now I want to be completely gas free.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks.

-- Gary

·
Registered
598 Posts
On this forum is certainly one good place. People that are thinking about buying one frequently end up here to educate themselves (that’s my opinion and I respect it). I did! CAVEAT: There are those that will make comments you don’t like: the price is too high, but that year had this problem, or with a newer model you can get this or that. It’s very frustrating and I don’t think people should be able to post to your ad thread, but I made that suggestion before and have no idea if the powers that be have changed that or not.
P.S. You have an adorable doggie!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve done well selling on my own on Autotrader. I tend to use their $100 fee option which allows you to sell the car as slowly as you want - ad stays until it sells. I believe it’s free on the buyer’s end.
We actually bought the cheapest used Tesla model S we could find there. It was $46500 and nearby. We drove it about 1 1/2 years. Then my wife decided she had to upgrade to a new X. Tesla offered us $30k for trade in so I decided to sell myself. Sold it on Autotrader for $44000. Before that sold a 2002 Ford Focus (in 2015 I think) for $2500...and it had a salvage title.

It is some work and hassle but minimal in my opinion. Have it detailed, then take dozens of photos in good light with a pretty background. Then chose your favorite 20 photos or so. I even took close ups of tire tread and tiny chips in paint. I feel the more forthcoming you are with everything good or bad the more likely the buyer will be pleased with the purchase and those who come to see/test drive will be fully aware (so less of your time’s wasted). I also gather any service records or recent inspections into a google drive folder and send the link to anyone who wants it. You can do the same with additional photos in google photos. I think that gave me an edge too. Delete any emails from folks saying they want to buy your car sight unseen.

I’m selling our old Odyssey now the same way.

Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use all the free places using some ad and photos. Cargurus.com cars.com craigslist. My wife and I will be in Denver in a couple of weeks and looking to buy a volt now actually. Had a deal on a 2013 but dealer lost the car...lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts