GM Volt Forum banner

2013 Volt died while driving AGAIN!

7K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  ace7010 
#1 · (Edited)
My story starts about a week ago when my wife was driving our 2013 Volt (120kmiles). She had just gotten off the freeway and car just dies on her. She told me she was doing nothing out of the ordinary and it just died. Power to car stayed on but car would not accelerate. It's like it was on but just wouldn't go(her words). Got it towed home and took out the 12v battery to be tested. Tested bad. I replaced battery and went to start Volt and it powered on. Lights, radio and dash all came on like normal. But car didn't seem right. Steering wheel felt "stuck" as if it had no power steering. I could put into gear but it was like it was stuck in N. Dash said vehicle was in a "Service Mode" So Googled that and pretty much let me know I was gonna have to take to dealer.

Next day had car towed to Puente Hills Chevrolet. Oh but before that had OnStar get me a diagnostic report Text Font Document Line Paper

Whole car was at dealership was told it needed to be read by computer and probably just reset the software and I would be good. They said they have seen this issue in the past. Apparently no big deal and I'd get my car back end of day. We'll get car back and all seems well. Drive car for a few days and now that gets me to this AM.

Get in car this AM to head to work. Battery at 48 and plenty of premium fuel. Car starts up fine get on the road and am about 3 blocks from home going down a small hill towards a major cross street and notice a red light comes up on the dash and it's the battery light. I figured I will pull over to at the light into a gas station and before I know it car completely turns off and I have no power steering and breaks are not engaging. Light turns red and I plow through the intersection without the ability to stop my vehicle. One of the scariest driving moments in my life. I was so lucky it was 6am and there weren't many vehicles on the road. Or God forbid anyone crossing the street. No way my car would have stopped or any way to steer away.

Car finally comes to a stop about 100yds from where I lost power and I put into park and hit the power button. Now honestly at this point I don't remember if car powered back up on it's own or if when I hit power button if that turned it on. I sit there back in this stuck mode of car on but not able to go anywhere. No "Service Mode" on the dash this time just the orange check engine light. I sit there and try to power on and off for a bit but nothing! Call a tow truck, but before they can arrive to tow me back to the dealership some odd concoction that I saw on YouTube of hitting power button and opening and closing door once dome light is off and power car up normally gets me able to drive car back home and park. As I was on the way to work I had to go home and not the dealership so I can jump in my other vehicle to get to work.

I end up doing another OnStar diagnostic and get this Text Font Document Paper
and dropping my car off at dealership and reporting it to them. It's there now and I am waiting til Monday(10/29/18) to hear what my next verdict is. When I checked in, the tech ran the CEL codes and said something along the line of "hybrid system error".

So there's where I'm at. Car spending the weekend at the dealership with a bunch of understand questions still... Thanks for reading and please ask any questions if I missed anything.
Thanks
JM

***UPDATE***

Got a call from the dealership today at around 4pm. Well that was after I had called 2 or 3 times. Turns out my power inverter module is bad. Was told it needs to be replaced and since they are doing that they should do the 14v inverter (I think he said that.. I was honestly in shock when he told me the price) $3700.00 AMERICAN DOLLARS. i am currently just waiting to get final details on what needs to be done and give approval on the work to be done. Hoping I can negotiate the price down. Should have answers tomorrow and will post the outcome.

Anyone else have this work done? I know I'm paying the premium cause of the dealership but after the drive scare, I not sure I have other options. Would appreciate some feedback or recommendations.

Thanks

***UPDATED 10/31/18****

Anyone think this recall I JUST GOT can have anything to do with my issues???

GM Recall #:
N172130460
NHTSA #
18V397
Date Issued:
Jun 14, 2018
Recall Title:

Software Update Error Affecting Battery Cell Voltage Balancing

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2013 model year Chevrolet Volt vehicles. Some of these vehicles have a condition in which an error in a software update that your vehicle received may prevent the battery from balancing the voltage among individual battery cells, which under certain circumstances can result in a low-voltage condition in one or more battery cells. If the voltage of a given battery cell falls below a certain level, the vehicle may enter a reduced propulsion power mode and notify the driver that propulsion power is reduced. If the vehicle continues to be driven after the vehicle enters reduced power mode, the vehicle may lose propulsion power completely, increasing the risk of injury in a crash.

Safety Risk Description:

The vehicle may lose propulsion power while driving, increasing the risk of injury in a crash.

Repair Description:

Dealers will reprogram the HPCM2 (Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2).

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE

Please let me know what you guys think.
JM

See less See more
#3 ·
Scary scenario. I would offer, though, you DID have brakes, but would have required a 400pound Sumo wrestler with both feet on the brake pedal to make it grab. Ditto for steering. All cars have mechanical systems for both, boosted by hydraulic or electrical systems.

Hopefully the solution is an easy on...incomplete software mods after the battery replacement.

#5 ·
Scary scenario. I would offer, though, you DID have brakes, but would have required a 400pound Sumo wrestler with both feet on the brake pedal to make it grab. Ditto for steering. All cars have mechanical systems for both, boosted by hydraulic or electrical systems.

Yes, there are actually two brake systems, the normal power assist brakes and the mechanical backup. And yes, if the power assist brakes go out you have to stomp hard on the brake pedal with all your might and weight and keep doing so until the car stops.

If you have never driven a car without power assist steering or power assist brakes, it can take a surprising amount of force compared to what you are used to.

#4 ·
Wow, you could've gotten seriously injured or worse!

Something like this can turn into a PR nightmare for GM if it ends up on social media and spreads ... I'd be hesitant to take the car back unless the dealership has driven the car for at least 10-15 minutes themselves to ensure it won't repeat a 3rd time on you.

#6 ·
And as a last resort, there's always the parking brake...

#7 ·
...which is dangerous, because it can put you into an uncontrolled spin...but you have a point! I bet the electric parking brake is an "on/off" switch, and can't be modulated like a mechanical pedal/pull handle system. Scary!!!!

OP: Make certain the dealership actually SHOWS you, in great deal and in writing (and documented into the vehicles history) , what their solution is. I wouldn't accept the car with anything less!

#8 ·
I was going to ask if you had "STOMPED" on the brakes after I had thought about it for a while, but had to wait until I got back to the computer. As others have said you do need to apply a lot of pressure. I had the Bendix 10 (crappy) system in my New Yorker go out and it was quite scary, but the scare gave me enough adrenaline to stomp very hard before I hit the car in front of me. Not quite a 400 pound gorilla but close - LOL. Had to drive 800 miles with "Mechanical" brakes. Not so bad once one knows they have to stomp on them but glad my wife wasn't driving. I doubt the emergency brakes would have even worked and if they did, they would be either full ON or full OFF. As the OP said, no modulating them.

#9 ·
Who replaced the 12 volt battery and what did they replace it with? . . . . and where was it purchased? Were all the connections cleaned? Were the bolts torqued? Was the battery charged after installation? - It may have been sitting on a shelf somewhere for quite some time

Don

#10 ·
I replaced the battery myself. Purchased from Sam's club. Took them the old one to test and purchased there. Honestly I thought what are the chances I got a bad battery... But with the run I've had lately wouldn't surprise me. Calling the dealership around noon tomorrow for updates.

#15 ·
My story starts about a week ago when my wife was driving our 2013 Volt (120kmiles). She had just gotten off the freeway and car just dies on her. She told me she was doing nothing out of the ordinary and it just died. Power to car stayed on but car would not accelerate. It's like it was on but just wouldn't go(her words). Got it towed home and took out the 12v battery to be tested. Tested bad. I replaced battery and went to start Volt and it powered on. Lights, radio and dash all came on like normal. But car didn't seem right. Steering wheel felt "stuck" as if it had no power steering. I could put into gear but it was like it was stuck in N. Dash said vehicle was in a "Service Mode" So Googled that and pretty much let me know I was gonna have to take to dealer.

Next day had car towed to Puente Hills Chevrolet. Oh but before that had OnStar get me a diagnostic report View attachment 156033
Whole car was at dealership was told it needed to be read by computer and probably just reset the software and I would be good. They said they have seen this issue in the past. Apparently no big deal and I'd get my car back end of day. We'll get car back and all seems well. Drive car for a few days and now that gets me to this AM.

Get in car this AM to head to work. Battery at 48 and plenty of premium fuel. Car starts up fine get on the road and am about 3 blocks from home going down a small hill towards a major cross street and notice a red light comes up on the dash and it's the battery light. I figured I will pull over to at the light into a gas station and before I know it car completely turns off and I have no power steering and breaks are not engaging. Light turns red and I plow through the intersection without the ability to stop my vehicle. One of the scariest driving moments in my life. I was so lucky it was 6am and there weren't many vehicles on the road. Or God forbid anyone crossing the street. No way my car would have stopped or any way to steer away.

Car finally comes to a stop about 100yds from where I lost power and I put into park and hit the power button. Now honestly at this point I don't remember if car powered back up on it's own or if when I hit power button if that turned it on. I sit there back in this stuck mode of car on but not able to go anywhere. No "Service Mode" on the dash this time just the orange check engine light. I sit there and try to power on and off for a bit but nothing! Call a tow truck, but before they can arrive to tow me back to the dealership some odd concoction that I saw on YouTube of hitting power button and opening and closing door once dome light is off and power car up normally gets me able to drive car back home and park. As I was on the way to work I had to go home and not the dealership so I can jump in my other vehicle to get to work.

I end up doing another OnStar diagnostic and get this View attachment 156035 and dropping my car off at dealership and reporting it to them. It's there now and I am waiting til Monday(10/29/18) to hear what my next verdict is. When I checked in, the tech ran the CEL codes and said something along the line of "hybrid system error".

So there's where I'm at. Car spending the weekend at the dealership with a bunch of understand questions still... Thanks for reading and please ask any questions if I missed anything.
Thanks
JM
This sounds like the start button is intermittent. If you've ever stabbed the start button twice thinking it was the mode button the car does exactly this.

If the button is sticking, it can shut the car down at speed, and also prevent you from starting the car.

#17 ·
The fact that the "battery" light came on makes me think the accessory power unit failed. That is what provides 12V power to the car and charges the 12V battery. I'd say you were pretty brave to drive the car again. I wouldn't advise it.

If you ever need to use the parking brake to slow down, remember that the switch may not work as expected while in motion. The car automatically releases the parking brake when you are in motion, so to slow with it, you have to lift the switch and hold it in the out position. You can also slow a Volt in an emergency by shifting into R and pressing the accelerator pedal, but since yours lost driving power this probably would not have worked in your situation.

Have you installed any electrical accessories lately such as HID or driving lights?

#21 ·

Next day had car towed to Puente Hills Chevrolet. Oh but before that had OnStar get me a diagnostic report View attachment 156033

I end up doing another OnStar diagnostic and get this View attachment 156035 and dropping my car off at dealership and reporting it to them. It's there now and I am waiting til Monday(10/29/18) to hear what my next verdict is. When I checked in, the tech ran the CEL codes and said something along the line of "hybrid system error".

Thanks
JM
This sounds like the start button is intermittent. If you've ever stabbed the start button twice thinking it was the mode button the car does exactly this.

If the button is sticking, it can shut the car down at speed, and also prevent you from starting the car.
Definitely not the power button. Have done that and yes same feeling but don't think the dash battery light coming on woulda happened there either.

#26 ·
Re: update... Ouch that's expensive. Unfortunately there is not much in the way of non-dealership repair shops that I would trust with a Volt, or probably that would even consider a job like that. There are probably some DIY folks here that would tackle it if it were their car.

#27 ·
UPDATE 10/31/18

Anyone think this recall I JUST GOT can have anything to do with my issues???

GM Recall #:
N172130460
NHTSA #
18V397
Date Issued:
Jun 14, 2018
Recall Title:

Software Update Error Affecting Battery Cell Voltage Balancing

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2013 model year Chevrolet Volt vehicles. Some of these vehicles have a condition in which an error in a software update that your vehicle received may prevent the battery from balancing the voltage among individual battery cells, which under certain circumstances can result in a low-voltage condition in one or more battery cells. If the voltage of a given battery cell falls below a certain level, the vehicle may enter a reduced propulsion power mode and notify the driver that propulsion power is reduced. If the vehicle continues to be driven after the vehicle enters reduced power mode, the vehicle may lose propulsion power completely, increasing the risk of injury in a crash.

Safety Risk Description:

The vehicle may lose propulsion power while driving, increasing the risk of injury in a crash.

Repair Description:

Dealers will reprogram the HPCM2 (Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2).

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE

JM

#28 · (Edited)
... If the voltage of a given battery cell falls below a certain level, the vehicle may enter a reduced propulsion power mode and notify the driver that propulsion power is reduced. If the vehicle continues to be driven after the vehicle enters reduced power mode, the vehicle may lose propulsion power completely, increasing the risk of injury in a crash.

JM
I doubt that is your problem... did you get the PPR message? I believe this fault causes loss of propulsion power, but does not fully shutdown the car like you experienced (unless maybe you also had a faulty 12V, which seems unlikely, you would have noticed it before).

Edit: I see you're in CA. Isn't Voltec warranty 150k miles in CA? If so, this should be under warranty, both the power inverter and APM they want to replace.

#30 ·
No it does not. Not the least part of this is that the Voltec warranty CANNOT cover emissions because the electric drivetrain does not have emissions. The inverter is definitely covered by Voltec and it sounds like whomever you talked to wasn't clear on what kind of vehicle this is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.