GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear GM,
We love our new 2013 Volt...but have heard the previous model year volts do not have the requirement of selecting 12amps before every charge. This new "safety feature" is a real pain the @ss. The Lawyers could even write up some kind of disclosure you have to agree to on the screen before selecting the default of 12amps but I don't really see the need for that if my space heater and wife's hair dryer can pull 12amps why can't the Volt. 12amps is at the required 80% of a 15amp circuit, so no electrical codes are broken or even pushed.

Please make it possible to set default to 12amps.

On a side note please start supplying a 20A version (this has one of the pins on the plug to the wall receptacle sideways) of the 120V charger that the car would automatically sense and then charge at the 12amp or 16amps. I would definitely purchase one of these.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Call your assigned Volt advisor so they can log the complaint. It's probably the only way it would or could be changed in the future designs etc.... Using the 2012 cord set won't make a difference since it's the car that decides not the cord set....

MrEnergyCzar

·
4,852 Posts
The Lawyers could even write up some kind of disclosure you have to agree to on the screen before selecting the default of 12amps but I don't really see the need for that if my space heater and wife's hair dryer can pull 12amps why can't the Volt.
Well, to try and understand GM's perspective for a moment, YOUR wiring may be able to handle it, but you never know what commercial or on-the-go wiring may be able to handle. And while your wife's hair dryer may pull 12 amps without issue at a hotel, it's not pulling that for 10 hours straight; a big difference.

I do hope that they change this behavior to allow defaulting to 12 amps though, perhaps by building in the ability to program it to default to 12 amps on a per-location basis. That way, you could say "Look, my wiring is okay, default to 12 amps" but it would still default to 8 amps when you're at a Budget Inn using recycled aluminum cans for wiring.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think this decision by GM would actually prevent me from buying a 2013. It would drive me insane to have to go through a five step process everytime I wanted to plug in. Thankfully, I have my 2012 already.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just want the option to select 8/12 AMP charging from my iPad in case I forget. Then I'm fine.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I think this decision by GM would actually prevent me from buying a 2013. It would drive me insane to have to go through a five step process everytime I wanted to plug in. Thankfully, I have my 2012 already.
Get a L2, no issue and you get 4 hour charging.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I whole heartedly agree with everything you suggest. I joined this forum just to make those same suggestions. Like you, I love my 2013 Volt, bit this situation is most annoying. Hopefully a software update can give us the option to choose.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I totally agree. Love our 2013 but really get annoyed having to set the higher charge rate EVERY time. Give me a release and I'll sign but please save me the constant (2 x a day) annoyance!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I totally agree. So glad I don't have to worry about this. I don't have $800 to spend on a L2 charger.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Get a L2, no issue and you get 4 hour charging.
If you kick down a grand or two I'd love to. apparently my 91350 zip code means I don't qualify for squat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This raises an interesting technical question. How does the 2013 Volt know it's on an L2 charger so it will skip the 8 Amp default limitation? There are only a few possible answers. Either it is detecting the higher voltage (240 V), or it's detecting a higher charging allowance from the adapter (signaled via a wider square wave pulse width). If it's the latter, you should be able to override the limitation with another adapter which you can adjust to a higher charging current allowance. If it's the former, you're just going to need the higher voltage provided by any L2 charger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with this one. It seems like the 120v charger is different than the videos-there is no LED light on it and no way to select charging level from the charger, we do it from the center stack. I'd like to be able to preset the defalt charge. We like to go with 8a on the weekends, but we need 12a during the week so we can get it charged up in time for work.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Yes... The 2013 Volt is broken. It cannot remember the driver's preference for charging rate. It's BROKEN. Chevy needs to fix the BROKEN problem that can't remember what the driver wants.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Chevy, tell your lawyers I'll sign/click on a disclaimer - just let me set the default charge. It's what we all used to do on Nav systems so it can't be impossible. Please.....Thank you.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
apparently my 91350 zip code means I don't qualify for squat.
Same problem here in Wisconsin. We never get any EVSE credit or promo eligibility either, at least not that I've found yet (for what it's worth, I'm in "We Energies territory"). Wisconsin's state government also doesn't seem to think it's wise to offer any kind of tax credit for EVs or EVSEs either.

So at least you don't have to feel singled out!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Totally agree. Most frustrating having to remember to change the default level. So annoying to get into the car in the morning and find it is not fully charged. Agree that having this as a setting in the App would help but really really want to be able to change the default in the configuration screen.

Only had my 2013 for a week so will be interesting to see if I get used to this or continues to be a frustration that detracts.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I actually hate having to do this everytime.

Someone on here mentioned a fantastic idea they should had done for MY2013's instead of this lame default 8A hack, they could had made the key fob plug opener button double as a way to set the 120V charge rate on the fly once the car is plugged in. (with flashing dash indicator signalling an 8 or 12A setting by blinks or color change)

EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised if it were possible to rewrite the code to allow this on current models to be honest.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you kick down a grand or two I'd love to. apparently my 91350 zip code means I don't qualify for squat.
Cost of installation of 240v unit: $150 in parts and a quickie visit from a friend who is an electrician.

Cost of 240v unit with tax: $534.

total 240v install cost? $684.

Almost everyone has a dedicated 240v circuit somewhere in their house- or - 2 open spots on their board. Call an electrician to install a 30 amp, 240v circuit for a welder. Don't tell them its for a car. Leave the box open in the wall - install the unit yourself. It takes less than 30 minutes including the pre-drill and the effort to put in 2 large screw-in bolts into the stud. Wiring take perhaps 5 minutes. 2 hot line and then the ground. Done.

You might also be able to find an older 2011/2012 charger - check on eBay or for a replacement charger.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 2012, my wife just bought a 2013, and coming from not having to think about the amps to having to remember EVERY SINGLE TIME is a major pain.

Here is a thought...if the goal is to avoid having me pull too much juice from someone's circuit, then that itself is a flaw because no matter WHERE I decide to charge I am going to choose the maximum amps....so someone way smarter than me tell me what is the difference? I won't know which lines can handle it or not, so why would I choose any other than the larger amp?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts