GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for any help.

I just took my Volt in for a repair and had the driver's side bulb replaced. A day after getting it back, the passenger side bulb died. I don't want to pay the labor costs to replace the bulb (it was more extravagant than I realized), so I want to do it myself.

I've seen Sylvania listed as the stock bulb manufacturer, but I just can't tell from all the info on the web what the stock specs are. Truly, I just want the same as what was there when I purchased the car. This will be my first replacement.

And... side question. Was there an HID option for the 2013 Volt? I don't think there was, but just checking.

Thanks for any help. Brand and model/type would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Our Volts use a number 9012 headlamp bulb. Any 9012 bulb will fit regardless of the manufacturer. I recently replaced both on my 2013 Volt when the passenger side bulb burned out. My car had Philips bulbs and since the car only has 32000 miles on it I'm sure they were original equipment. I replaced them with Philips bulbs. Your auto supply store may offer replacement spec 9012's and a brighter upgrade. Usually the brighter bulbs will have a shorter service life and the bulb packaging will state that. I don't know of any HID upgrade and I'd be leery of that; it might be illegal to use such bulbs in your state or province. There are numerous "how to" videos online that show the very simple replacement procedure.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Many owners have installed aftermarket HID or LED upgrades to get more light output. There were none available as OEM options. There are many threads here about it. It is true that it may not comply with DOT regulations or other requirements. If you want the same as you had before, most people would drop in to a local auto parts store and get whatever they specify for your model.

When replacing the passenger side, be aware that the clearance is very limited on that side. You need to remove the air filter box, which basically just pulls up and out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used Philips Crystal Vision bulbs a couple weeks ago. They look fine. Install isn't bad, 10min? Certainly harder on the passenger side.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just installed a pair of Sylvania Silver Star Ultras a few days ago in my '15. The original bulbs we're Phillips, probably original. Haven't even driven at night yet to try them out.

The passenger side was tight, and I've read that to install HID's or LED's that removing the air box is required. I was able to install the new bulb without removing the box

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
After playing around with a couple of different brands of LED's, they just didn't seem as bright as the OEM 9012 bulbs. They were whiter, but not brighter and didn't seem to cast the beam as far down the road. So then I tried a pair of Philips 9012CVB2 CrystalVision Ultra bulbs, and they are much whiter than the OEM's and cast a very bright beam. I don't know how long they will last, but they really do the job for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased and installed replacement LED headlights that I got on Amazon, and they have worked very well. Cost was less than $15.00 for the pair and they will last much longer than halogen. Also, no need to worry about wearing latex gloves when installing them as they are not sensitive to body oils. They were fairly easy to install.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Go to www.candlepowerinc.com and order a pair of Vosla 9012 +30 bulbs. OEM fit but 30% brighter. GM is speccing them as standard replacement for some of their cars. They really are brighter. I compared a stock one to a Vosla against a white wall at night. BIG difference. Best bulb you'll get for stock headlight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts